Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone have probs with f1-f5 keys..volume and dimming keys not responding

Anyone have probs with f1-f5 keys..volume and dimming keys not responding
crazylegs5150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2006, 09:06 PM

So I was watching a dvd on my brand new macbook not 2 days out of the box when I realized that the volume keys don't respond anymore. On the other user accounts they do. When I restart the computer the other users work, but once I log into my account (administrator) it does not work and when I then log out and BACK into the other accounts, they no longer work either. I was just curious if anyone else had this problem. Called Apple and the rep walked me through a bunch of things and eventually told me to try re installing the cd's and call back if still not fixed. Well, it's not. ANy ideas??

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 12:04 AM

If you hold down the fn key while you hit the volume / backlight buttons do they work?
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

crazylegs5150  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 11:25 PM

No. The keys do not respond at all. Like i said before, my account never works while the other two user accounts do when I boot up. As soon as i log into my account and then back out and into one of the other accounts, nothing works. I just got this thing and already it is taking a dump on me. I realize it is a small thing but what the heck? Incidentally enough, the remote works. it seems to me to be a software thing but as to how to fix it is the big question. The Apple rep told me he has never seen this in the 2 years he has been working there. You gotta love technology.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 05:11 PM

It's a software issue. My guess is that the option "Use F1-F12 keys to control software features" is checked in the keyboard system preferences. Uncheck it and you should be set.

If that's not the case there probably some program running that screwed with the settings. I'd remove any third party hacks, etc.

If that doesn't fix it back up your files and move to a new user.

ImpulseResponse

crazylegs5150  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2006, 01:38 PM

Thanks for all the help. I actually ended up having to create a new user account and delete the original user account. Once I did that, everything seemd to be fine. Somehow, something got corrupt but Apple help was not able to help me out on it. At least it works now. Nobody had ever heard of that before either. Oh well, this is why we have the forums so we can all learn and help one another. Happy new year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules