Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport express or extreme, old or new?

Airport express or extreme, old or new?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 12:42 PM

I could use some recommendations to solve a networking issue. I want to access my Epson cx5400 all-in-one over wireless (on an older Apple Extreme home LAN). The AIO uses an USB connection and I want to be able to access it from anywhere in the house w/out having it attached to a print server. Also, it is nowhere near the base so I can't just plug it in there (my epson 777i occupies that USB port anyway).

I'm thinking I could just get an Airport Express base station and run the AIO off of that. But I wonder if this is the best way to go.

I thought about upgrading to a wireless AIO but there don't appear to be many good options in the under-$300 range (besides the cx5400 is fine for our purposes for the foreseeable future so I don't need to be spending even that much). Also, I want to add a NAS unit to the network as well so I wonder if I'd be better off w/a new Airport Extreme base station that I could use for both purposes (AIO and NAS) - but I've read that I should wait until they get the kinks worked out on the new one.

Thoughts?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2007, 06:47 PM

First and foremost, most AIOs don't do much more than print over a network. Many don't even do that. It's all a matter of drivers, and typically AIO drivers just don't even consider networks. I usually suggest a USB switch box, with the AIO on the single port and the computers on the multiple ports for this-it makes it possible for all the computers (with the manufacturer's drivers loaded) to use all the functions.

If someone has come up with a magical way to make most USB printers work over most networks, I'd like to hear it, but all I've ever seen is that these devices don't like networks. And AIOs are much worse in this regard-I haven't ever heard of anyone getting one to work on a network for more than just (maybe) printing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 08:04 PM

The AIO is in one room and the nearest computer is in another, which I assume rules out a direct USB connection from a switch box. Also, the vast majority of use the AIO receives is for printing, so just getting it to print over the network would be great. We can haul our laptops to it for other purposes.

Given those qualifications, would the Airport Express be the best option? I'm going on the assumption (perhaps not safely) that any computer that can currently print to the AIO w/a direct USB connection will be able to print to it over the network.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by krx View Post
I'm going on the assumption (perhaps not safely) that any computer that can currently print to the AIO w/a direct USB connection will be able to print to it over the network.
Your hedge is on target-MAYBE computers that can print directly will be able to print over the network.

Let me recommend Gutenprint as a source for a networking capable driver. That's where I got a driver for a laser I had, and it worked well. They have a driver that works for the CX 5400, and it's reported to provide most of the functionality as well.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the link. To be clear, you're saying that once it is on the network, I MAY be able to print to the cx5400 w/my currently installed epson driver but if not, the Gutenprint driver should help - correct?

Do you have any thoughts on the Airport Express vs. Extreme question?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2007, 08:12 AM

You understood what I meant exactly.

No opinions on Express/Extreme though-I don't have any experience with them and don't know enough about them to have an opinion.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2007, 03:20 AM

I have the "Dome Extreme", the "Flat Extreme", and two AP Express'. So far i'm completely happy with all of them, the do exactly what they're told to do.

I have an "N" only wireless, a "G" only wireless with an Express as a relay with a HP Color LaserJet connected to it. The "Dome Extreme" has an HP B&W connected to it and all Macs print to either printer regardless of what network they're on (ie "N" will print to both, "G" prints to both). The second express is used to play iTunes remotely.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

Forum Links
Forum Rules