Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Power Macs DUE 08/13

New Power Macs DUE 08/13
jar_what
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2002, 07:14 PM

ThinkSecret is saying that Apple will be bring new power macs at the end of the pomo, August 13... they will also be discontinuing thier G3 imacs that day. The new PM will be at up to speeds of 1.2 Ghz.

<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/news/g3imacg4towers.html" target="_blank">News from ThinkSecret</a>

Scott edit: Fixed the topic date so it's next month, not tomorrow

<small>[ 07-12-2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Scotttheking ]</small>

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2002, 07:25 PM

BOOO!

I want to order next Wednesday. Not a month from tomorrow!
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

eep!
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2002, 07:39 PM

In the July issue of Macworld (US Edition) Rick Lepage (LePage?) states:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The first generation {refering to the CRT} iMac is still available for $800, and Apple plans to keep the product in it's lineup for the near future.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">personally, I'm more inclined to believe something i read in macworld than something i read at thinksecret, but you never know�

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2002, 08:42 PM

There might not be new Macs AT Macworld, but who's to say they won't announce new Macs to ship in August?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

JaredS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2002, 08:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by olePigeon:
<strong>There might not be new Macs AT Macworld, but who's to say they won't announce new Macs to ship in August?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">This is what I am aiming to believe too. Apple need to show off PowerMacs. I think the reason the 1GHz models did not and are not selling real well is because Steve was not able to use his RDF.

Another thing to think about is it would be a prime place for nVidia to let their cat out of the bag. Just think of how much Apple has given them pretty much FREE PR at expo's in the past.

Unless Steve has something huge under his sleeve that needs to take two hours then what would stop Apple from announcing? I do not think we need an hour and a half discussing Jaguar...

JaredS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2002, 08:55 PM

(double post, sorry)

<small>[ 07-12-2002, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: JaredS ]</small>

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2002, 09:14 PM

Well, don't forget the rumors of the iMac. If it is receiving some of the componenents that are rumored, the updated iMac announcement could fill the entire keynote.

Just a refresher, here is what is rumored for the iMac (no matter how unlikely the update may be):
- up to 1GHz G4
- 133MHz system bus
- 2MB L3 Cache
- 17" LCD

So, Apple could stage a press conference for a release of updated PowerMacs in August.

JaredS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2002, 09:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Peder Rice:
<strong>Well, don't forget the rumors of the iMac. If it is receiving some of the componenents that are rumored, the updated iMac announcement could fill the entire keynote.

Just a refresher, here is what is rumored for the iMac (no matter how unlikely the update may be):
- up to 1GHz G4
- 133MHz system bus
- 2MB L3 Cache
- 17" LCD

So, Apple could stage a press conference for a release of updated PowerMacs in August.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">There would be no reason for an UPDATE to fill a whole keynote. If all Steve shows off is the flat screen iMac in two keynotes six months (well okay seven months) than everyone, including investors and analysts will be disappointed, I think even Apple's board of directors would be too as you should focus on new product. While a PowerMac would not be really new persay it would fill the gap in what is going in our heads... I guess we will see... five and a half days and counting...

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2002, 07:50 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Peder Rice:
<strong>Well, don't forget the rumors of the iMac. If it is receiving some of the componenents that are rumored, the updated iMac announcement could fill the entire keynote.

- up to 1GHz G4
- 133MHz system bus
- 2MB L3 Cache
- 17" LCD

So, Apple could stage a press conference for a release of updated PowerMacs in August.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think it's also supposed to get Geforce 4mx to replace the 2mx in current models.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

X_RuLeZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2002, 07:53 AM

I can see the iMac updated as above but not with a 17" LCD. If it has 1Ghz, 133FSB, 2Mb L3 and the bigger screen no one would buy the PMG4.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2002, 08:34 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by X_RuLeZ:
<strong>I can see the iMac updated as above but not with a 17" LCD. If it has 1Ghz, 133FSB, 2Mb L3 and the bigger screen no one would buy the PMG4.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think it could happen. This 17" iMac would be the missing mid-range machine between iMacs and PowerMacs. It would be a little bit more expensive than the mid-range powermac (w/o display), probably.

<small>[ 07-13-2002, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: jcadam ]</small>
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2002, 04:12 PM

But you see, updated PowerMacs are on there way shortly, so a short intrusion into PowerMac sales would represent very little. In fact, it may actually boost iMac sales significantly, as consumers believe they are getting a great deal with the iMac.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2002, 04:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by X_RuLeZ:
<strong>I can see the iMac updated as above but not with a 17" LCD. If it has 1Ghz, 133FSB, 2Mb L3 and the bigger screen no one would buy the PMG4.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">What about all the folks that barfed on the Cube when it had all those specs but "wasn't upgradable" ?

I imagine that the same barf would head in the direction of the 17' iMac.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2002, 04:48 PM

People would still buy it, because it's a consumer product. They'd obviously drop the iMac 15" edition (there is no space for two nearly identical iMacs)

Forum Links
Forum Rules