Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Home network speeds suddenly drop - Potential cause?

Home network speeds suddenly drop - Potential cause?
zgall1
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2007, 09:04 PM

I have a home network setup with the following configuration:

Cable Modem --> AirPort Extreme (with NAT turned on) --> Wired Router (with NAT turned off) --> Wired Router (with NAT turned off)
The Airport is distributing IP addresses and an Internet connection for both the wireless and wired sides of the network.

I am getting speeds that are pathetically slow (~.25 MB/s) through the wired network and even slower speeds wirelessly. I have never been able to get anything decent through the wireless network but when plugged in, the wired network speeds were acceptable. What steps can I take to try and fix this problem?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 6, 2007, 10:40 PM

It would be helpful to know what the unnamed wireless routers actually are-including model and version information. Sometimes it just a matter of a firmware issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 08:28 AM

Did you:
Try connecting directly to Cable Modem and see if the performance problem persisted
Try connecting directly to the Airport Extreme and see if the performance problem persisted
Remove one router and see if the speeds impove?

By going those steps you can narrow down where the problem exists, in other words, is it a problem with your cable modem, AEB, Router 1 or Router 2.

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2007, 07:38 PM

Thanks. I'll try that this weekend when I have some time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules