Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Hard Disk Noises

Mac Pro Hard Disk Noises
Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2008, 03:39 AM

I recently purchased and installed a 2nd Hard disk for my Mac Pro. I got one of the 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II drives and installed in in /dev/disk0. I moved the 250GB drive which came with the machine originally to /dev/disk1. I'm noticing every now and then a clicking sound followed by a whirring sound made by the disk as if the drive is spinning down.

It does this pretty frequently, and I'm wondering if others have experienced this at all? I find it kind of annoying for whatever reason. Is this normal? Does this have something to do with the setting in the Energy Saver System Preference? I was just curious, because I didn't notice this or hear the drive spinning down at all with my original 250GB drive, and didn't know if there was possibly something wrong.

Thanks.

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2008, 06:08 AM

Clicking sounds indicate your harddrive is dying.
Buy a new harddrive now. Back up all your data! Now!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 09:02 AM

Not on my new MacPro (as it hasn't shipped)
but my old G5....i get a clicking sound while Mail is running. Only when Mail is running. I assume the Hard Drive is failing too, but why would it only click during Mail?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2008, 10:14 AM

Either that clicking sound is present all the time or not. If it's just present when you use a different app, then this does not necessarily imply your harddrive is failing. If it is, then it doesn't make any difference which app you're using.

Neo.cmg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2008, 01:13 PM

I can't imagine the clicking sound would be a symptom of a hard drive dying, as this hard disk is only 4 days old at this point. I have a backup of all my files on the second hard disk that I moved to /dev/disk1 which use to be my primary drive.

There must be some other reason for this. It's actually only one click followed by a whirring sound like the drive is spinning down..

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2008, 01:42 PM

Sounds like it might be parking its heads and spinning down. Try downloading the SeaTools CD and running that to see if it turns up any problems.

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2008, 10:17 AM

One huge problem facing new computer owners is that TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior both don't support the new MacPro's released in January.

I wish apple would give these companies at least 1 computer to test their software on so that day 1, support is available.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

mr. burns
Senior User
Feb 2, 2008, 03:10 PM

haven't mac pros always had some issues with seagate drives? i remember similar reports back when the woodcrest MPs were relatively new.

not all who wander are lost.

OreoCookie
Feb 3, 2008, 07:37 AM

Neither TechTool nor DiskWarrior can fix hardware problems. Random clicking is what a dying harddrive sounds like. If you test the harddrive extensively, it will stress it -- not a good idea unless you have a backup.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Neo.cmg View Post
It's actually only one click followed by a whirring sound like the drive is spinning down..
If it only clicks once when you haven't used it for a bit, then it probably is just spinning down. Try using the drive after that happens. It should whirl up and click again.

However, if you hear it making clicks while it's in use or it sounds like grinding or scraping, it's trouble.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2008, 02:48 PM

Have you unchecked the checkbox in System Preferences > Energy Saver... Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible? If not, the sound might be your drive waking back up when it needs to be accessed.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 05:36 PM

Check S.M.A.R.T. status.

mipes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2008, 07:04 AM

hurry up with the back and don't use it anymore for important data. it's very likely to loose it soon.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Neo.cmg View Post
I recently purchased and installed a 2nd Hard disk for my Mac Pro. I got one of the 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II drives and installed in in /dev/disk0. I moved the 250GB drive which came with the machine originally to /dev/disk1. I'm noticing every now and then a clicking sound followed by a whirring sound made by the disk as if the drive is spinning down.

It does this pretty frequently, and I'm wondering if others have experienced this at all? I find it kind of annoying for whatever reason. Is this normal? Does this have something to do with the setting in the Energy Saver System Preference? I was just curious, because I didn't notice this or hear the drive spinning down at all with my original 250GB drive, and didn't know if there was possibly something wrong.

Thanks.
The Mac Pro will spin up and spin down your internal HDDs all day. Normal activity. Something to note: Your Mac Pro will not spin up your drives at once so you may experience a lag if you need something from one of the drives while your Mac spins up the drives.

ManxStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2008, 06:32 AM

Random loud clicking is usually a bad sign, but it's actually something else in a lot of modern Seagates. I've got one that does this and I found it a bit annoying; it's some sort of calibration that it does to extend the drive's life called STIR (Seek To Improve Reliability). I'm not sure if there's a way to disable this, perhaps e-mail Seagate's tech support and ask?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2008, 06:40 PM

Why would you want to disable a reliability increasing feature?

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why would you want to disable a reliability increasing feature?
Because as he already said...

Originally Posted by ManxStef
I've got one that does this and I found it a bit annoying

Yawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2008, 09:32 AM

dupe

Forum Links
Forum Rules