Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual Processor questions

Dual Processor questions
mikejaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2000, 01:36 PM

OK...I'm looking to get into a new G4/500 dual processor system, to be used for video editing (FCP) and DVD authoring.

I'm dealing with the DVD questions elsewhere, so I'll keep my questions here generic.

1) Is it true that most, if not all, app software will have to be rewritten to take advantage of multi-processors? For instance, an Avid Media Composer salesman said that even though Avid has approved the G4/500 dual as a platform, the software does not take advantage of the second processor. Any info on this?

2) Specifically to Final Cut Pro, and other Apple software products: are they currently able to take advantage of dual procs, or is this dual proc thing a big marketing smokescreen? If software doesn't take advantage of dual-procs now, when will it?

3) What other pitfalls should I look for regarding these new dual-processor models?

I appreciate any responses!
-jazman

naepstn
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2000, 02:15 PM

Currently, only a few applications are written to take advantage of MP (Photoshop and SoundJam are the ones you usually hear about). This is the unfortunate current situation, however, it will not be for very long. While over time, more apps will be made to directly take advantage of MP, the big difference will arrive with OS X. The OS itself (starting with the public beta in 2 weeks) will take advantage of symmetric multi-processing which, in effect, will make ALL apps benefit from it. Likely, Apple will also release MP-aware versions of their own software (i.e. Quicktime, and hopefully Final Cut Pro, AppleWorks, iMovie and WebObjects).

So, in short, the MP thing for the moment has little real-world benefits, but in a couple of months, could make for a very noticable difference.

Cheers!

devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2000, 09:53 PM

Just to add to what naepstn said:

>Is it true that most, if not all, app software will have to be rewritten to take advantage of multi-processors?

The software doesn't have to be completely rewritten to take advantage of the second processor. Photoshop uses a plug-in to access the second processor. I don't know about SoundJam. I don't think it's a huge undertaking to make an app aware of a second processor. You should start seeing more applications with support for the dual processors later this year.

->Later.....Spice

roders
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2000, 10:43 PM

You will get a big speed increase on a dual processor Mac running Final Cut Pro as will Digital Origins products (Edit DV) QuickTime, Media 100, Adobe Premiere, Aftereffects & Photoshop, SoundJam and some of the best 3D applications and more, & with even more (like Pro Tools) to come in the future.
Also when OSX hits (Incl the Beta, available from the 13th of September) the OS will do all the "SMP" so all App's will gain the benefit from the extra horsepower of the second processor (if they have been Carbonized or written in Cocoa) regardless of whether they have been optimized for SMP, or not.
I have no Idea whether Avid has built in any MP capabilities into it's products, but if there's anyone who needs to, it's them, so I guess it should not be long till they offer this feature in there products (give there customer/tech support a ring to find out).

P.S There are not a huge amount of App's that currently take advantage of all the extra power second CPU gives, but then again there are not that many App's that really need all that extra power except for the kind of App's I have listed (DV, 3D graphics etc) with the ones I have mentioned obviously being already for Dual processors and as a consequence will receive big speed boosts (usually a little below twice as fast).

P.S an app never has to be totally rewritten to take advantage of "SMP", instead code is usually added to enable the use of the second processor, while this isn't something a programmer would attempt in his lunch hour it's still fairly straight forward.

[This message has been edited by roders (edited 08-31-2000).]

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2000, 11:23 PM

If you�re dealing with video then get the MP G4 now. Quicktime is already threaded and able to take advantage of the 2nd processor. Soon Final Cut Pro and much other software will be too.

Apps don't need to be completely rewritten only re-threaded so that some threads run on the 2nd processor.

Apps however do need to be rewritten to take advantage of Velocity Engine. That's why after a year only several apps support it. But there won't be such slow development with MP's. So get an MP now and see the benefits later.
-- SBS --

Boy from Taiwan
Sep 6, 2000, 09:31 AM

I'm very curious about the issue about G4-MP.In fact,I bought a G4/400 SP just few weeks ago.Now I regret for the decision I'd made.Is there anyone know if it's possible to upgrade it to MP machine?
Do I have any choice other than buying new?

roders
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2000, 09:49 AM

Since the MoBo in the new G4 towers (Sp & DP) are very similar if not all most identical, I think it is virtual certainty, that at some point you will be able to upgrade to a MP (Via a third party, such as Newer or Sonnet etc, but not directly from Apple) if you wish (or simply a faster SP when Moto finally stops jerkin off in public and fixes the G4).
Don't worry ,your machines cool, & if it's powerfull enough for you now (which it should be!) then that's all that matters in the short term (you also saved yourself a lot of money too).

Forum Links
Forum Rules