Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleep problems

Sleep problems
NDBounce
Senior User
Aug 14, 2008, 01:57 PM

I am having a problem with my MacBook Pro (Mar 2008, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS 10.5.4) and sleeping. I have set my computer to NEVER Sleep in the system prefs, and the disply to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity when plugged in to the Power Adapter. However, my computer still goes to sleep.

I have changed the settings for BATTERY to match those of Power Adapter to see if this solves the problem. I restarted. The settings still say put computer to sleep NEVER and put display to sleep when it is inactive for 15 minutes. Yet asleep it goes.

Is this a known issue or is this an issue with my computer? Does anyone have any idea what may be going on here?

Thank you,

O
B unce!

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2008, 03:02 PM

Does it go to sleep when you close it or even when it's open.

If you change the setting for it to never sleep and you close it I think the settings don't affect that.

If you leave it completely open and set it to never sleep but it still sleeps then I can't help you but I've heard about some program somewher in these forums that can stop it from sleeping.

Look around the forums, I hope some of this helped at least a bit

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Aug 14, 2008, 04:11 PM

This problem occurs when it is open. I am aware that it automatically sleeps when closed.

So it is a situation where it is left open, and awake, and let to sit, and then sleeps, and thus fails to record my TV shows using EyeTV (which is the reason I am trying to solve this problem - I don't have a VCR/TIVO. I am guessing I could set it to wake right before the recording...nonetheless, I am worried that I may have a faulty system and would like to get that taken care of if I have to.

Peace,

O
B unce!

ibook_steve
Aug 14, 2008, 04:31 PM

Have you tried setting it to not sleep the display to see if that makes any difference?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2008, 07:13 PM

Hello Steve,

I see you are a moderator. I was wondering if there is any way to become a Macnn forum moderator.
Please let me know if there is any way.

Godspeed.

Cold Warrior
Aug 14, 2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by applesbiggestfan View Post
Hello Steve,

I see you are a moderator. I was wondering if there is any way to become a Macnn forum moderator.
Please let me know if there is any way.

Godspeed.
Moderators are normally chosen from the ranks of veteran members who exhibit a lot of knowledge and frequent helpfulness in a specific area or multiple areas. The most recent moderators were selected by the staff (other mods and admins) after a recruitment and nomination thread was posted in Feedback.

Last time I checked, the forums aren't actively recruiting additional staff, but stick around and keep your eyes peeled in case we decide to post another message.

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2008, 04:19 AM

Great.

Thanks, I go on the forum everyday so I'll keep my eye out for anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules