Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > cable modem firmware upgrade

cable modem firmware upgrade
stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2008, 05:04 PM

I have a DLink DCM202 cable modem. Comcast just upped our internet service from 6 to 12 mb, but I am unable to achieve that speed because the modem needs a firmware update. I went to DLink's site and downloaded firmware version 2.0.1 for Comcast service. The problem is that the file is an exe and I am wary about opening that up. Comcast and DLink are blaming each other for the problem. I think Comcast wants to sell me a Motorola modem and DLink doesn't have a way for me to upgrade.
Any answers from the experts here?
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2008, 06:28 PM

OS X will not open an EXE file. It is a Windows executable, and that means that you'll need a windows computer to do the update. You can do this through Boot Camp, (probably) Parallels or Fusion, or even (again probably) through Crossover. Or get a friend to bring over his Windows laptop. This sort of upgrade usually takes just a few minutes and doesn't do anything at all to the computer you run the program on-that's just the vehicle needed to upload the files to the device you're updating. (I just checked, and Crossover will run the program...)

But be VERY careful to make sure 1) that the modem has AC power throughout the process (I'd put it on an UPS if it isn't already), 2) that you read ALL the instructions very carefully-and twice, and 3) that you print out the instructions and read them step-by-step as you go so you don't skip anything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 07:01 PM

Wait, it may be named .exe and still be usable on a Mac. To upgrade a router's firmware, you don't need to open the firmware itself. All you need to do is find the firmware upgrade section of the router's admin site, click choose, select the file and then click apply. I've never needed a PC to do a router firmware upgrade.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2008, 07:48 PM

Big Mac is right that you should be able to get into the management site (192.168.100.1) and then select the .BIN file using the modem's firmware upgrade option. I've been trying to figure out why DLink provides this firmware upgrade package with their Tiny FTP app, while the non-Comcast upgrade is just the .BIN...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stoneage  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2008, 08:02 PM

Good God!! Why doesn't DLink support know that?

I was like a ping pong ball between Comcast and DLink trying to figure this out. Comcast finally just told me yo stick the cable into my cable phone router, then to my Airport and voila, 24000 mb down and 8000mb up. I will have to have my cel phone to trouble shoot if something goes down, but I can deal with that. I'm not even going to try and upgrade the modem now. Anyone want a lightly used DCM-202?
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

Forum Links
Forum Rules