Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Tethering yet?

iPhone Tethering yet?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2009, 11:04 AM

Has this happened yet?

From cnet news:

"November 6, 2008 11:32 AM PST

AT&T confirms tethering coming to iPhone in 2009
by Tom Krazit

Apple and AT&T have apparently figured out a way to tether an iPhone to a laptop, and get those e-mails on the big screen.
(Credit: Apple)

AT&T Mobility chief Ralph de la Vega confirmed on Thursday that iPhone 3G users will be able to use their phones as wireless modems at some point next year.

De la Vega made the comments during a conversation with TechCrunch's Michael Arrington at the Web 2.0 Summit on Thursday. "Tethering" an iPhone to a laptop, and using the iPhone's mobile data connection to get online, is a service that iPhone users have wanted for some time but that AT&T was reluctant to provide, perhaps because it feared that a huge influx of traffic could overwhelm its network.

It's not clear when AT&T will roll out the tethering service; some point in 2009 appears to be the only stated time frame."

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2009, 11:06 AM

It has not happened yet.

Read here for the current blow-by-blow discussion of when it might show up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2009, 01:04 PM

Didn't see that thread in my search for some reason... Thanks!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 01:36 PM

It works here in Canada legally and with no extra charges. Totally seamless and amazing. I love it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
It works here in Canada legally and with no extra charges. Totally seamless and amazing. I love it.
But you don't have a data flat rate, right ?

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But you don't have a data flat rate, right ?
You sound like you're trying to excuse AT&T. You aren't, right?

For the record, I'm on a carrier with a 3G flat rate and tethering was included in the same package at the same price from the day Apple put it into OS 3.0. It's $21/month btw.

If you ask me, AT&T need to get their **** together.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You sound like you're trying to excuse AT&T. You aren't, right?
Say what ?

I'm just concerned that should AT&T allow unlimited bandwidth / data with tethering, that the available speed and bandwidth for iPhone users will go down horrible.

I'm not willing to take a hit in that, while still paying the same amount I do now.

So f*** all those leechers that want to get rid of their DLS / cable ISPs and use AT&T via iPhone as their only ISP. I hope AT&T gets rid of the flat rate and sets up tiered plans.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:13 PM

Tiered plans would be a good start. But so far AT&T screwed that one up, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Of course the real solution to bandwidth issues is expanding your network. They claim they're doing that, but obviously not fast enough. Are they too cheap or is the iPhone just too good for their network?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 02:15 PM

Of course the real solution to bandwidth issues is expanding your network. They claim they're doing that, but obviously not fast enough. Are they too cheap or is the iPhone just too good for their network?
Both.

Don't forget that the iPhone accounts for the vast majority of mobile data transfers.

Of course, Verizon and Sprint don't have the problems because their phones suck at teh intarwebs and mobile data applications.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:24 PM

Of course, Verizon and Sprint don't have the problems because their phones suck at teh intarwebs and mobile data applications.
Sure, but by now even AT&T should have noticed the iPhone is good at data. It's not like it's a technical issue. There are more than enough carriers that prove every day they can deal with the iPhone. It's a business issue. And it's amplified by the low expectations US customers have when it comes to cellular service.

Fact is there is no tethering yet on AT&T and in various parts of the country their throughput is already plain lousy. My guess is they simply don't know how to pay for the necessary infrastructure improvements. But rather than having the balls to introduce tiered plans they just chose to try and sit it out.

Listen to how Apple introduced carrier exclusivity with AT&T in 2007 and comparte that to the mockery we heard at WWDC. Obviously Apple isn't thrilled with them either.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 02:32 PM

Sure, but by now even AT&T should have noticed the iPhone is good at data. It's not like it's a technical issue. There are more than enough carriers that prove every day they can deal with the iPhone. It's a business issue. And it's amplified by the low expectations US customers have when it comes to cellular service..
You forget that most other providers do NOT offer flat rates.
Apparently, that makes a big difference.

Yes, you are right, it's a business issue. Americans just love all-you-can-eat, -drink and -suck.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 02:33 PM

Listen to how Apple introduced carrier exclusivity with AT&T in 2007 and comparte that to the mockery we heard at WWDC. Obviously Apple isn't thrilled with them either.
Pfff, typical bashing.

Do you honestly think things would be any better with Sprint or Verizon ?
(Let alone the techical CDMA issue).

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:40 PM

You forget that most other providers do NOT offer flat rates.
I don't know of a single iPhone carrier that doesn't offer a flat rate. But apparently AT&T is the one provider that seems to be least able to offer it. Even more reason not to offer it in the first place. Offering 'unlimited' when tiered is the best you could afford is lame. Considering what you can do with an iPhone on a good network it's actually really lame.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:45 PM

Do you honestly think things would be any better with Sprint or Verizon ?
QED

I you want to know why expectations are so low in the US, that's the reason.

And Apple in its infinite wisdom, rather than letting the carriers compete for best iPhone experience hands it all to one. CDMA is a real issue. But not opening the iPhone up to other 3G carriers is making it really easy for AT&T to keep on slacking.

I understand Apple needed carrier exclusivity to get the ball rolling. But that ball's an avalanche now. And they signals they're sending (opening up to carrier competition) now point in the right direction. The slackers have had their second chance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 02:49 PM

I don't know of a single iPhone carrier that doesn't offer a flat rate. But apparently AT&T is the one provider that seems to be least able to offer it. Even more reason not to offer it in the first place. Offering 'unlimited' when tiered is the best you could afford is lame. Considering what you can do with an iPhone on a good network it's really lame actually.
Ok, let me word it differently:

I don't know of a single iPhone carrier that offers a flat rate for as cheap as AT&T does.
(Other than some Scandinavian providers).

Albeit, AT&T seems to be overselling, so they should stop it,

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:50 PM

Indeed, we agree on that one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 02:51 PM

And Apple in its infinite wisdom, rather than letting the carriers compete for best iPhone experience hands it all to one.
I don't know that if would have helped. Then Apple had to manage multiple providers, instead of one.

I honestly don't think that would have done any good.

Do you really think that those providers are NOT ALREADY in competition ?

Overselling is part of the standard practice here in the us.
Compare it with all-you-can-eat buffets. Do you really expect to get quality food there ?

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:54 PM

Of course not. Which is why I prefer to pay a bit more for quality products.

But unless carriers introduce tiered plans, people have no such option. With AT&T I can't pay for better throughput or tethering. I'm just stuck with what they refer to as 'unlimited'.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 02:57 PM

Do you really think that those providers are NOT ALREADY in competition ?
Sure, but on which level? What other phone can really compete with the iPhone? You'd see real competition if multiple carriers were selling the iPhone. As in certain other countries. But not when the competing network's answer is the RIM browser.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2009, 04:05 PM

The article is a bit misleading. Apple figured out how to tether months ago (I've been doing it since beta 5); they've clearly just worked some extra price plans to charge on top of "unlimited data" tariffs.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 10:10 PM

Wait for it on Verizon, AT&T has had their chance. Once they do it expect it to cost quite a bit too. Plus still no MMS. AT&T has got to go!
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules