Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Slow Time Capsule Transmit Rate?

Slow Time Capsule Transmit Rate?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2009, 10:10 PM

I just installed an older Time Capsule (500 Gig, Model A1254) on my home network and am wondering if I've got it configured for max speed. It's now running at a transmit rate of between 11 and 35. I'm on a new MacBook Pro with 802.11n enabled. Shouldn't it be much faster than this?

ibook_steve
Sep 1, 2009, 01:55 PM

11 and 35 what? How are you testing this? What are you trying to do?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2009, 02:14 PM

Sorry to be unclear - don't really know what I'm talking about. I think it's Mbps. I hold down option and click on the Airport fan icon in the menu bar. It gives me four lines of info, the last of which is "Transmit Rate". This number increases to 145 if I'm in the same room as the TC - which is in my office in the attic. Pretty massive drop however if I'm on the first floor of the house (second floor is okay). In the basement it hovers between 5 and 20. I'm wondering if this sort of drop is normal or if I may have it configured wrong.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2009, 04:04 PM

Transmit rate is the negotiated link speed; the best you can expect to get out of the connection given current conditions. It's degraded by distance/walls/other devices/antenna design (they're generally set up for horizontal coverage, not vertical) etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules