Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > knock off power adapters?

knock off power adapters?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2009, 10:03 PM

I need a couple more power adapters so I'm not having to carry the cord around every where I go. I've got a few Apple extension cords that went with previous iBooks which I can use. So I just need the adapter end of it. Apple charges $79 each. I'm wondering, what would be wrong going with something like this - and saving a hundred bucks? 32,000 transactions, 99.5% positive. Especially given the fact that Apple's adapters have not exactly been getting stellar reviews (two of five stars).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2009, 10:52 PM

Good question, I was thinking about getting a second power supply for myself.

Somehow, I just don't trust 3rd party power supplies.

See, if I get one from Apple, and it fries my MBP, I think I will have a somewhat better case against them. If I use a 3rd party power supply, all bets are off.

-t

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2009, 10:59 PM

I guess that's the question: how much harm can a knock off cause (not a rhetorical question - i really don't know) and how likely given the seller rating of this vendor?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2009, 11:03 PM

The adapters in the link looked just like an apple part. Apple has not licensed the MagSafe to 3rd parties (hence why we don't see any cigarette lighter car adapters..)

I don't know where they are getting those, or what they really are...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2009, 11:12 PM

They are Chinese illegal knock offs, what else would it be.

-t

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2009, 11:27 PM

surprising to me, there are a number of these available on amazon (but cheaper on ebay)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2009, 11:30 PM

Mic-B
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2009, 12:56 AM

I recently bought a generic cable for an iBook G3, same guy on ebay. Although the one I bought was a little different, I still think that you'll be fine. There are minute differences, like on the generic cable I have there is no multi-colored battery status light, like there is on the apple supplied version, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I think apple treats their power cords like they do their ram and their harddrives... they mark up the hell out of them. I'm sure most people reading this have heard of such practices. My only other point is that with professional electronics, the cords are NEVER vendor specific... they are the same plugs in the backs of your monitors and desktop towers. A power cord is not a tough thing to make, and you should always plug electronics you care about into a surge proctor anyhow.

Just my two cents.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mic-B View Post
I recently bought a generic cable for an iBook G3, same guy on ebay. Although the one I bought was a little different, I still think that you'll be fine. There are minute differences, like on the generic cable I have there is no multi-colored battery status light, like there is on the apple supplied version, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I think apple treats their power cords like they do their ram and their harddrives... they mark up the hell out of them. I'm sure most people reading this have heard of such practices. My only other point is that with professional electronics, the cords are NEVER vendor specific... they are the same plugs in the backs of your monitors and desktop towers. A power cord is not a tough thing to make, and you should always plug electronics you care about into a surge proctor anyhow.

Just my two cents.
Uhm, I think you are mixing power cords with power adapters.

Power cords are indeed very simple. But power adapters is a complete different matter. The quality of the electronic circuit is crucial to a healthy charge.

I'm not sure I would trust a no-name adapter to do it right.

-t

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 02:12 PM

These cheap Chinese power adapters are a real issue. They look good on ebay at a fraction of the price of the actual Apple part. They even look pretty much like the real part. The clues are pretty subtle, normally the cable is thicker or lower quality and the part looks just slightly "wrong"

It's inside that they really differ. Mostly they use the cheapest parts they can get, even going as far as to use recycled parts scraped off adapters sent back to china for landfill.

At worst they can be actively dangerous, at best they'll last a couple of months before failing either internally or the end part where it attaches to your Mac will break.

The branded third party adapters (MacAlly etc) look nothing like the Apple ones since they are not infringing any design patents and are generally nearer Apple quality in terms of reliability.

When looking on ebay, look out for clues such as shipping from Hong Kong. Try to look for ads that are obvioulsy a private seller selling a genuine second hand Apple part (no generic photo etc). A second hand apple part is a way better bet than a chinese knock off.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2009, 02:32 PM

Here's one that says it's a actually a new Apple adapter - for $40 less. Ships from LA, 99.7% positive rating...

Could this be for real?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by krx View Post
Here's one that says it's a actually a new Apple adapter - for $40 less. Ships from LA, 99.7% positive rating...

Could this be for real?
I'd say that was a chinese rip off. Imported into the US in bulk by that company. Ebayer gets adapter, it works, leaves positive feedback, two months later, pop, adapter goes runny, no comeback to seller.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 05:34 PM

Could this be for real?
Why risk your 2000$ MacBook Pro by saving 40$ on a power adapter?

Even if it doesn't damage your laptop, how long can it last?

I know it from camera batteries. Those third party batteries only hold half the charge an original Canon can hold, don't last long, are imprecisely manufactured (don't fit so well into the battery compartment) and are simply a bad option for someone who spent a lot of money on a good camera.

Go for quality.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 05:37 PM

eBay is full of junk products that don't work or only work for a short time. The sellers are largely anonymous.

Nobody is responsible for anything. It's you who gets stuck with the bill.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
eBay is full of junk products that don't work or only work for a short time. The sellers are largely anonymous.

Nobody is responsible for anything. It's you who gets stuck with the bill.
Well, if the product breaks, it's Amex who gets stuck with the bill.

Like others, I'm more worried about a cheap power adapter frying my MBP.

-t

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Why risk your 2000$ MacBook Pro by saving 40$ on a power adapter?
Right. I wouldn't. It's all about getting educated. Like the first time you buy RAM, do you need genuine Apple, or will Crucial do the trick (at a significant savings)? The first time I bought RAM I didn't know. Now I'm asking are there lower-priced third party power adapters that will do the job without undue risk? The general consensus seems to be that there is not.

Also, while I know you can't believe everything you read, the second one I link to above does say "Genuine Apple Brand, NOT Replacement 3rd Party" ... which does make me wonder.

Cold Warrior
Sep 10, 2009, 08:00 PM

I recently purchased a supposed cell battery replacement for my motorola w385. Did not fit at all. Made in China. I also purchased an 'extended' battery. Made in Japan, fit great, works great.

I won't buy third-party power products that are made in China. No quality control.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
See, if I get one from Apple, and it fries my MBP, I think I will have a somewhat better case against them. If I use a 3rd party power supply, all bets are off.
I wonder about this though. I mean, if your MBP gets fried, how does Apple know whether or not you've used a non-apple adapter (in the event that you haven't)? Do they just take your word for it?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 08:51 PM

I wonder about this though. I mean, if your MBP gets fried, how does Apple know whether or not you've used a non-apple adapter (in the event that you haven't)? Do they just take your word for it?
Basically, it all depends on how truthful you want to be.

-t

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2009, 10:04 PM

What I mean is, if you go the safe route and get the Apple adapter and your MBP gets fried anyway (less likely but still a possibility) will Apple assume you used a knock off (since this is more likely to fry it) or grant you the benefit of the doubt and take your word that you have stuck with Apple products (and thus repair the damage)? How could you prove it?

I ask in part because Apple adapters - at least mine - are getting really bad reviews. I just wonder if you're not going to be stuck with the possible damages either way.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 10:17 PM

What I mean is, if you go the safe route and get the Apple adapter and your MBP gets fried anyway (less likely but still a possibility) will Apple assume you used a knock off (since this is more likely to fry it) or grant you the benefit of the doubt and take your word that you have stuck with Apple products (and thus repair the damage)? How could you prove it?.
By showing my purchase receipt for an original Apple power adapter ?
And if they want, they can examine the power adapter.

If it really fried my MBP, for sure the Apple technicians will find out what happened.

-t

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2009, 02:44 PM

I bought a knock-off power cord for my old PB, although I didn't know it was a knock-off when I bought it.

Within weeks, the plastic casing on the end that goes in to the PB started cracking. The online company I bought it from replaced it, but my second one started cracking, too. (I bought my new MBP shortly afterward, which is why the lower price of the power cord appealed to me).

Forum Links
Forum Rules