Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need recommendations for a new email ap...

Need recommendations for a new email ap... (Page 2)
cwkmacuser
Senior User
Mar 24, 2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Wow, many around here used to hate Mail. . .
I still do. I have several accounts with GMail. I often use their web mail service, but I have lately been looking for a good email client. I have tried Postbox, Mailplane, Eudora, Thunderbird, and Mail. I really don't like any of them. A good client is PMMail, which I really like. But I get the feeling no one ever made a version for Mac.
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Mar 24, 2009, 11:32 PM

Does anyone know of any fast, easy, user-friendly and customizable email client that I didn't mention in the post above. I need something that I can put multiple accounts in, and if possible, play a different sound when new mail is retrieved in each account. I also need a fairly good filtering system. What do you reccommend (besides Mail, Postbox, Mailplane, Eudora, and Thunderbird)?
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2009, 04:20 AM

Have you tried PowerMail ??

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2009, 09:22 AM

For what it's worth I've been a heavy Mail user for the last while but it finally had me sufficiently miffed that I'm now in the process of ditching it for a Gmail-driven-use-your-own-doman beastie.

I've transferred almost all of my old email (from multiple different accounts) to Gmail already, and the only downsides I've seen so far are:

- I miss the tied-in aspects when doing things like exporting images from Aperture
- Typing off-line (though Gmail's beta offline mode may help this)
- Being able to delete attachments from emails (but not the emails themselves)

Hope that's of some help.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Mar 25, 2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Have you tried PowerMail ??
The problem is, it costs money. Is there anything for free that will do a good job for what I want, or is PowerMail my best bet?
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2009, 11:49 PM

Well, I gave Postbox a try.

Piece of sh!t. Can't get it to send SSL secured messages via port 587.
I might as well stick to Apple Mail then, there I got secure messages via TLS working

Edit: turns out, Postbox has problems with port 587. (Legacy) port 465 works. WTF ?
Even Apple Mail gets it via 587. I don't get it

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 12:02 AM

Turtle: port 587 is not the port to use for SSL connections, port 465 is. 587 is for TLS.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Turtle: port 587 is not the port to use for SSL connections, port 465 is. 587 is for TLS.
Uhm, not according to Dreamhost's Wiki:

Secure SMTP - port 587 (can also use the legacy port 465)
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Secure_E-mail

But I'm not going to argue over this.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 01:52 AM

"Secure" is not a protocol, TLS and SSL are both "secure". If you have Postbox to authenticate via SSL on port 587, this will not work. It only works in Mail since Mail doesn't support SSL connections even though it says it does (it lies, it actually does TLS). SSL is old school, TLS is what modern email apps use, so you want to use TLS on port 587.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2009, 03:17 AM

"Secure" is not a protocol, TLS and SSL are both "secure". If you have Postbox to authenticate via SSL on port 587, this will not work. It only works in Mail since Mail doesn't support SSL connections even though it says it does (it lies, it actually does TLS).
If that's true, how come I'm able to connect to both my web host and Gmail at port 465 with Mail.app?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 04:19 AM

CharlesS: maybe I'm wrong, or maybe this was only apparent in an older version of Mail, I dunno. However, SSL is a much older way of authenticating to an SMTP server, it won't be around much longer. The only clients that I know of that still use it are Entourage v. X and some version of Outlook Express. Since TLS has been the standard for a long time now, I have no idea why Apple called this setting SSL in the GUI. I don't mean to infer that you don't know this stuff, I'm just writing this for whomever else might be reading and care...

What I'd have to brush up on is why SSL is used for IMAP more commonly than TLS. Perhaps there are still many IMAP servers that haven't jumped aboard with TLS. I have no clue whether OS X Mail supports TLS for IMAP connections.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 11:19 AM

Well, then that just means that Postbox can't handle TLS properly.

It can't be my server (Dreamhost), because my iPhone and Apple Mail have no problems with TSL / port 587 on the same server.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 03:37 PM

It definitely handles TLS, I've used it with a number of different SMTP servers. What error message are you getting? Do you have that "use secure authentication" Microsoft thing checked off?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 04:32 PM

It definitely handles TLS, I've used it with a number of different SMTP servers. What error message are you getting? Do you have that "use secure authentication" Microsoft thing checked off?
Yes, "use secure authentication" is off (although I also tried it checked).

I don't get any error, it just stalls. The log shows no activity, it just seems to try and try and try and try and try and try...

-t

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
I've been using Mozilla's Eudora 8.0.0b5 offering for a few days now.

It's based on a marriage of Thunderbird and Penelope, and some of Eudora's look/feel/features.
[not anywhere near as AppleScriptable as QUALCOMM's original, but most users won't mind that.]
According to the Penelope page, Steve Dorner and several other QUALCOMM people are on board.

It's not flawless, but i definitely like it so far.
Anybody have any recent experience with this? I see they've got 8.0b6 out now. Kinda have an aversion to beta runs but looks like 8.0b5 is still in beta too (assuming that's what the "b" means ??).

What about MailForge (aka Odysseus)? Has anyone tried it?
( Last edited by krx; Aug 10, 2009 at 01:49 PM. )

yuurei8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2010, 03:39 PM

I'm in the same situation as the OP. What did you wind up doing? Eudora has been rock solid for over ten years, but it's finally time to change. I'm not a fan of Apple's mail. I check three different accounts, get over 100 emails a day and need to keep and search them for years. I'd like something that will be around for a while, so I don't have to switch again.

I'm thinking about Thunderbird. Any suggestions?

Has anyone tried Mail Forge? I read it's taking a very very long time to develop.

Infinity Data Systems | Home

Thanks!

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Apr 22, 2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by yuurei8 View Post
Has anyone tried Mail Forge? I read it's taking a very very long time to develop.
[cough] It's the longest beta in history. There are hardly any reviews of it. I would stay away for now.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by yuurei8 View Post
I'm in the same situation as the OP. What did you wind up doing? Eudora has been rock solid for over ten years, but it's finally time to change. I'm not a fan of Apple's mail. I check three different accounts, get over 100 emails a day and need to keep and search them for years. I'd like something that will be around for a while, so I don't have to switch again.

I'm thinking about Thunderbird. Any suggestions?

Infinity Data Systems | Home

Thanks!

Postbox. It's Thunderbird but with more OS X specific features.

If you get that much email I can see why you'd want to stay away from OS X Mail. Thunderbird/Postbox are definitely the best GUI clients in existence when it comes to their basic handling of mail.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by krx View Post
I don't think the audible message is sufficient for new email. I need it to be visually represented in some way, so I can see it. Not always in a position to respond to every "ding" or "dong" that says a new email has arrived. Need to be able to pull up my email when I can and see immediately what Is new.

Sounds like one or more of these tools would work for this. Which one is best?
Growl is the best solution for this I have seen on any platform, its brilliant and free.

Courier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2010, 05:56 PM

I have kept things basic and stuck with google apps find theres no dramas there
courierquotes.com.au

Forum Links
Forum Rules