Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AT&T preorder; grandfathered data

AT&T preorder; grandfathered data
iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 12:27 PM

I have (and the rest of my family) have the $30/mo unlimited; when going to order, the terms say it will change the data plan (same cost), but it's not exactly clear (no terms, etc.) what that entails. Short question: will my plan be changed in the end?

Other thoughts?

Looking forward to the new camera but not the up-front cost (need a 64GB, it's looking like, having to cull my music/video library syncing for 32GB).

Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Oct 7, 2011, 12:34 PM

I read an article today that says current unlimited users can keep their unlimited plans. When buying a 4S early this morning, I had a choice between 200 MB, 2 GB, and 4 GB data plans. Do you have unlimited as an option? Choosing anything else would be unwise.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 12:53 PM

Some folks have had difficulty with the online ordering process keeping the grandfathered AT&T unlimited data option. Allegedly, deleting then re-adding in the unlimited option may help with the form. I agree though, if you have unlimited data (like I do) do whatever is necessary to keep it, even if it means buying the phone at a brick-and-mortar store from a warm body.

I too figure the 64 GB will be necessary. 1080p video through a reasonably competent (for a phone) lens will add up quickly, + music + still images.

Exactly how the ability to cloud-synch will play out, we do not know yet. It could mean DSLR pix can also easily be on the phone taking up space - - or it could be we will develop (relatively) real-time alternatives using the cloud that allow image data to be offloaded from the phone but still available. E.g. 960x640 Previews on the phone with the full 8 MP Master images in the cloud (like Aperture's Referenced Masters).

We will see.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 7, 2011 at 01:13 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 01:33 PM

9to5Mac has an article on upgrading the AT&T unlimited plan:

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/07/att-is...rs/#more-97636
or via:

9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

-Allen

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 02:01 PM

Take this sane advice: do not preorder the 4S. Buy it in person, if your life depends on it, taking into account that the 4 is not obsolete by any measure.

iOS5 and iCloud is a ploy to make you eat more megabytes, and no one can profit from it by letting you stay on unlimited.

The method to let you keep unlimited on 4S preorders is most likely a PHP+SQL bug in AT&T's HTTP server that will get resolved when the accountants open their eyes to this loophole.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Take this sane advice: do not preorder the 4S. Buy it in person, if your life depends on it.
Is it that much worse than the iPhone 4?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 02:07 PM

Take this sane advice: do not preorder the 4S. Buy it in person, if your life depends on it.
Wise bit of advice, Godfather. I poked around the upgrade site but retreated for fear of losing my unlimited unlimited plan. So you wait in line for an hour at the store. salute.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Is it that much worse than the iPhone 4?
Until it is Jailbreakable, it is indeed. Oh I so hope Geohot is doing something in this respect </sarcasm>

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 02:18 PM

Until it is Jailbreakable, it is indeed. Oh I so hope Geohot is doing something in this respect </sarcasm>
Assuming that the vast majority has absolutely no interest whatsoever in jail breaking their iPhone:

In what ways is the iPhone 4S worse than the iPhone 4?

Edit: Oh, i see. This is about data plan paranoia. That's alright. Feel free to disable iCloud syncing; you're perfectly able to stay USB-tethered as in the past. No need for jail breaking.

This is about the sixth time I've seen you rail against the iPhone "5/4S" though, and I'm really wondering what's up with that.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Oct 7, 2011 at 02:31 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Oct 7, 2011, 02:23 PM

The article sierradragon links to has Update 2. Apparently if one keeps clicking continue, they'll eventually see their unlimited data plan in the basket. Confusing indeed.

How to upgrade your AT&T unlimited iPhone 4 plan to unlimited iPhone 4S plan | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

But I don't follow godfather's conspiracy claims about iOS 5 and iCloud. This is the natural evolution of media, app, and data management and consumption. The cloud offers ways to manage content better than a lot of users can right now, specifically if done right, it's a seamless experience. Device backups and photo upload/sync are done only over wifi. And iCloud use can be disabled.

PHP bugs that offer unlimited plans is FUD.

dennett
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2011, 11:38 PM

We had no problem preordering two new iPhone 4s from AT&T and keeping our 2 unlimited data plans this morning. The email confirmation says clearly "Data unlimited for IPhone 4s $30.00" for each line.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 02:52 PM

Continuing my Chewbacca defense (thanks Waragainst): Godfather is correct that wait-and-see makes sense, and that the iP4 is not obsolete. The iP3G is however obsolete. I have not needed GPS but will be taking a long road trip soon, so buying an iP4s means I do not have to buy a standalone GPS. And Siri will give me someone to talk to in addition to the labradog.

I ordered an iP4s 64 from AT&T this morning and the continuation of the unlimited data plan seemed to go through with no problem. It did take paying close attention to the process, however. I figure that since the issue has been very public if there did turn out to be a plan error AT&T would retroactively fix it.

-Allen

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2011, 03:05 PM

oops, wrong thread

Forum Links
Forum Rules