Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for old SMC ethernet drivers for OS8/9

Looking for old SMC ethernet drivers for OS8/9
Koda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2012, 09:17 AM

I know this is a very long shot but i have an old PowerMac 6500 that I'm fixing and it has an old SMC ethernet card. The hard drive was empty when I got it and the ethernet card does not use the regular Apple drivers. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on these drivers (should be OS8.1 or higher if I remember right), I would be very grateful. They aren't listed on Google or SMC's site.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2012, 10:00 AM

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you might have the same model mentioned there, SMC 1255TX.

The 6400 Zone - Ethernet Card Info

Eventually I found that SMC makes two cards with Mac drivers, called EZ PCI Card 10/100, models 1244TX and 1255TX. I opted for the 1255TX because it has drivers for systems 7.53 through 9.2.2. I'm using FU-8.6. The 1244TX driver is for 9.1 or above. Both cards also have drivers for various OS X versions but that's not a factor for the 6400.

I tried to download the drivers from the SMC website but I can't as it seems I should specify a part number.

Good luck !!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2012, 10:00 AM

You might be in luck if its either of these two models:

Smc 1244TX V.2 Ethernet PCI Network Driver Download

Smc 1255TX Ethernet PCI Network Driver Download

I couldn't get the second one to unzip actually but the first one looks in order.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2012, 10:07 AM

Hum, I was able to unzip that 1255TX with both, BetterZip 2 and StuffIt Expander under Lion. File seems to be OK.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2012, 10:14 AM

1255TX_DRv10_Mac8x9x.sit ---> SMC1255TX Driver for MAC OS 8.x/9.x

I've extracted the installer file for that driver, other included files are for Mac OS X 10.1 and 10.2

Feel free to grab the OS 8 and 9 driver installer here, 231 KB
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1763527/1255...10_Mac8x9x.sit

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2012, 10:31 AM

To make sure file's integrity is OK, I did download it from the dropbox link at the post above with a Mac running Mac OS 9. StuffIt Expander v.6 did open the file just fine.

While I don't have any Mac running Mac OS 8, I guess you should not have any issue getting the file expanded.

( Last edited by angelmb; Jan 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2012, 06:16 AM

I am genuinely interested to find out if this has worked for you.

Koda  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2012, 07:09 PM

No. Sadly neither set of drivers worked. The card is older. I fluke out and found some old unlabelled floppy disk in a box that had the old SMC Etherpower II drivers on it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 08:19 AM

Thanks for letting us know. It had to be great to get that classic Mac working again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules