Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Remote XML file problem

Remote XML file problem
alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2012, 10:46 AM

I'm making a web site to display some data from some sensors on an iPad. Creating the web site is not a problem. However, I need to get some of the sensor data from an XML file that is located on a remote domain.

I understand that for security reasons, you can only parse an XML file that is on the same domain. Does anyone know if there is a way to automatically copy the XML file to the server with my website? I'm using javascript to parse the XML file, but right now, I test it by manually copying the XML file over to the web server. The parsing code works. Now I just need to figure out a way to get the file across domains.

Oh, and is there a way to display a web site using the full screen (no navigation bars) on an iPad?

Any ideas?

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2012, 12:33 PM

For the XML question: what you need to do is to setup a CGI script to proxy the xml file on your server. That is when someoen requests the file from you, your webserver fetches it from the remote site and passes it along.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2012, 01:17 PM

There's no need to copy the file from server to server, just use cross-domain AJAX.

Forum Links
Forum Rules