Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2008 MBP running very hot at idle

2008 MBP running very hot at idle
Koda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2012, 10:32 AM

So I have an older MBP and it seems to sit around 72°C at idle, even with all programs closed and nearly zero CPU usage. I'm out of ideas why. The fans are running normally (2000rpm+) and only seem to speed up around 75°C. My MBP used to idle around 50°C before (less in some cases). Most of the heat is centered under the caps lock key when I feel the underside of the laptop. I'm thinking the CPU may be there but I could be wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2012, 01:47 PM

Actually the CPU and GPU are at the back of the machine if its pre-unibody or under the centre of the keyboard if its unibody. The older one has an express card slot below the caps lock but that shouldn't generate much heat.

Only thing I can think is it might help to renew the thermal compound between the CPU/GPU and the heat sinks. Thats a fiddly job if you aren't used to replacing logic boards in those things.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules