Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Loving my new iMac

Loving my new iMac
Tiresias
Dec 26, 2012, 06:44 PM

I got my old iMac about 3 years ago.

It was my favourite computer ever (including my three previous PowerBooks) and I just didn't feel like it needed replacing.

Recently, however, my trusty, crusty old iMac started making loud whirring noises. The CD drive broke long ago. I was two OSXs behind everyone else and automatic software updates were a thing of the past.

Then I got an iPhone 5 and discovered that I couldn't sync or update to the new iTunes with out upgrading to each OSX in sequence—by first ordering a disk.

A disk. My friends, can you contain your laughter?

So anyway, I cursed Apple—and then went obediently to the Apple Store and bought a new iMac

Oh my God, things have come so far.

Everything looks amazing. Amazing!

Thus concludes this dull post.

7983/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

^ This guy.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2012, 08:54 AM

21er or 27er?

Still haven't replaced my Feb 2007 20 incher, but I really really need to. Dunno if I should splash out for the 27 inch though.

Tiresias  (op)
Dec 27, 2012, 09:03 AM

I would go with the 21" if I were you.

I feel like it's the right size relative to the distance one sits from a computer at the desk.

Sitting before the bigger one, I feel like the outside edges of the screen are in the periphery of my visual field; I cannot take it all in with once glance but have to sweep my gaze slightly but awkwardly to left and right.

But not all will feel that way.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Dec 27, 2012, 01:11 PM

I have a 39" screen and I ****ing LOVE it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I would go with the 21" if I were you.
I feel like it's the right size relative to the distance one sits from a computer at the desk.
Sitting before the bigger one, I feel like the outside edges of the screen are in the periphery of my visual field; I cannot take it all in with once glance but have to sweep my gaze slightly but awkwardly to left and right.
But not all will feel that way.
I felt that way playing with a 30-inch Cinema display at the Apple Store which is why I wonder why Apple doesn't still ahve something in the 23- 24-inch range. I have a 24-inch monitor connected to my MacPro and it's about right. I think I'd opt for the 21-incher is I was forced between that and the 27-incher.

Tiresias  (op)
Dec 28, 2012, 06:46 PM

For real.

Unless you're doing film making or something and need to coordinate multiple apps.

But even putting the above issue aside, 27 inches to watch cat videos on YouTube and update your Facebook is a little grandiose lol.

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2012, 05:33 AM

I have a 27 inch Thunderbolt monitor and the thing is bloody gorgeous. Not to mention if you do anything involving lots of screen space it's awesome. I can have two very largely blown up pages document beside each other, or I can work in Pages an iBooks author, or have tons of screen space for Photoshop. Also the 27 inch has user accessible RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules