Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wallstreet + Firewire 2.4 = possible combo?

Wallstreet + Firewire 2.4 = possible combo?
yuhui
Jun 19, 2000, 08:00 PM

Hi

I have a Wallstreet PB/233 with Newer's Firewire 2 Go PC Card. I'm currently using Apple's Firewire 2.3.3 drivers on OS 8.6. Should I upgrade to v2.4? According to Apple's readme, the upgrade is recommended only for OS 9.0 users.

Has anyone upgraded to v2.4 on a Wallstreet with no problems?

Thanks
Yuhui

DrCJames
Jun 21, 2000, 11:20 AM

I have a Wall street 300 and the same configuratiion of card and installed the update without a hitch.

Regards,

jim

yuhui  (op)
Jun 21, 2000, 11:23 AM

With OS 8.6?

mcdoken
Jun 22, 2000, 02:33 AM

To not exactly answer your question.... I have a Wallstreet 266 and 9.04. Install worked fine. I think it is worth mentioning a couple things. 1) Newer has a FireWire2Go enabler that they had recommended replacing the Apple version. I found it didn't work well at all.

2) When grabbing video via DV/FireWire2Go from within FinalCutPro, I would get dropped frames or crashes unless I was writing to a RAMdisk.

I recently purchased an OrangeMicro FireWire card on the hopes that the problems were with the card rather than my system. I have been pleasantly surprized. Much better performance than the Newer card, and I'm able to grab video to disk now without problems. I recommend switching if you are doing any video editing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules