Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how do you connect a cell phone?

how do you connect a cell phone?
kenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2001, 08:21 PM

Is there any simple or standard way of connecting a Mac laptop to a cell phone for connecting to the Internet? A quick web search didn't find anything useful, and cables shown on the Nokia website look like they would only plug into a PC.
al_iMac 24"; al_MacBook 13"; MacPro

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 17, 2001, 08:39 PM

Details! Tell us what phone, what PowerBook, what cellphone company and we might be able to get you connected.

tooki

kenw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2001, 09:34 PM

This is still in the planning stages, but as a likely example, how about-

Titanium Powerbook
Nokia 8290 cell phone
Cingular Wireless

deeperhue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2001, 11:29 PM

The best thing to do would be to check with your provider (Cingular) and see if they offer hardware for your phone to be used as a wireless modem. If they do, then make sure the software works with Mac. I have a Sprint TouchPoint 1100 that I use as a wireless modem. It comes with Mac software, but a serial connector (which makes no sense) so I had to purchase an $80 serial-usb adapter, and everything works fine. It's great to be totally mobile (as I'm writing this one my couch via Airport. hee hee).
-kev

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2001, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by kenw:

Titanium Powerbook
Nokia 8290 cell phone
Cingular Wireless
You're in luck! The 8290 is IRDA capable and the Mac has a built-in "Nokia Infrared" modem script. Set your modem control panel to "connect via infrared" and select the modem script as "Nokia Infrared". Open the Infrared control panel, start infrared on your phone (on my 6210 I select menu 9) and point the phone's infrared at your powerbook's infrared port. Now dial up to your ISP as normal and you're all set! It really shouldn't matter who your cellular provider is.

You should see the looks I get when I check my email on my titanium while riding on the train to work.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

disectamac
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2001, 12:56 PM

How lucky are you. You have IRDA on your Nokia. How can I hook up mine?

I have:
Titanium
Nokia 8260
Cingular Wireless

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2001, 01:03 PM

I have a Tibook and a Samsung 8580. I know Samsung sells a serial port data cable, and Keyspan sells a serial to USB adapter. Can I use these to connect to the internet? At home I have a cable connection, so I've never even used dial-up.

Kestral
Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 01:19 PM

So what's the fastest connection to the Internet that can be done via cell phone at this point? I hear it's like 14.4.

�ig�
Mar 18, 2001, 02:34 PM

In Europe the highest speed is 43.2 kbit/s with HSCSD on GSM 900/1800. I don't know about America/Japan.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 18, 2001, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by kenw:

Titanium Powerbook
Nokia 8290 cell phone
Cingular Wireless
Cingular offers the 8260 (I even checked to make sure it's the same where you are, and it is). The 8290 is 1900MHz GSM, which Cingular doesn't use (they use TDMA). The 8290 has IrDA, the 8260 does not.

I myself am seriously considering switching to VoiceStream after I move this summer, which uses the 8290. It's a great phone, and tonton already gave great instructions how to connect with it!

tooki

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2001, 04:36 PM

What about a Titanium, with Sprint PCS and a Qualcom 2760?

------------------
ort!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

kenw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2001, 10:02 PM

The "Nokia Infrared" modem script mentioned by tonton is a big help. For anyone with access to a TiBook, are there any other modem scripts included by Apple that work with other cell phone manufacturers?

And tooki is right about Cingular not supporting the 8290, at least in Connecticut. The Nokia 7160 is another possibility, since it has IrDA and TDMA. My local Cingular dealer already pointed me in that direction.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Now I am at least moving in the right direction.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 02:40 AM

I currently use a Nakia 8290 with my Pismo and it works great. Although it only connects at 9600 baud, and I can't use it in a car or train because it has to be sitting flat on a table. Another nice touch is the ability to dial into my home network and have internet access through my cable modem, which is all thanks to Apple's new Remote Access control panel in 9.0 wich allows any Mac to act as a PPP server. I also use my Palm m100 to go online w/ my cell phone, which is very convenient, but is kind of annoying since I only have 2MB of ram and I keep filling that up. I better break out the old soldering iron and replace it with an 8MB module soon.

I did recently have trouble with my phone however. It seemed to have died while charging. It wouldn't turn on no matter what I did. I brought it home from school and my Dad whacked it really hard (I guess harder than I can) and now it works fine. Oh I use VoiceStream. They have pretty good prices on service. I share a plan with my sister with 2000 weekend minutes, and 1000 weekday minutes for $70 a month. Plus my phone was fre, but my sister got hers 2 months earlier in October and it cost her $30. Not bad if you ask me.

bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 04:30 AM

I have a Nokia i1000 Plus. How can I get my Powerbook G3/300 to use my cell phone as my phone line to dial up my ISP?

Thank you

The Doc
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I once saw a PC. Now I am blind.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2001, 08:58 AM

I got a pismo 400 firewire (used to the badest boy in town) and motorola v.3688 (the small sexy phone). what do I need to go comettely mobile?
qnctv.com
Take a look...

madra
Mar 19, 2001, 09:27 AM

i've got a steam-powered charles babbage difference engine mark ll and a red london telephone box which takes pre-decimal coinage. can i go immobile too?

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2001, 09:31 AM

i've got a steam-powered charles babbage difference engine mark ll and a red london telephone box which takes pre-decimal coinage. can i go immobile too?

Oh course you . You need a ship which is laying cable in the mid atlantic and a fleet of elephants of course. You'll also need some tea/guiness a friendly Raj and a pigeon as backup. Get Faraday to set it up he's quite handy you know.
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Octo
Mar 19, 2001, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by jules:
I have a Tibook and a Samsung 8580. I know Samsung sells a serial port data cable, and Keyspan sells a serial to USB adapter. Can I use these to connect to the internet? At home I have a cable connection, so I've never even used dial-up.
I have a Samsung 3530, 400MHz Pismo and I've had no problems, except that I had to write/modify a modem script to use the phone, none of the supplied modem scripts would work.

zambo002
Mar 19, 2001, 04:50 PM

I have Motorola 7797 (tdma, no infrared) & TiBook 400. I can't connect using a credit card modem (Xircom CM56 G, Cellular) w/Motorola cable.

zambo

flambay
Mar 19, 2001, 05:03 PM

i gots a big, festering boil on me arse, can i go mobile too?

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by flambay:
i gots a big, festering boil on me arse, can i go mobile too?

Final Word 13
Mar 19, 2001, 05:35 PM

There is so much info on this a little searching the mac sites will turn up this conversation about 100 times in the last year. (well, minus the elephants and the difference engines)

Currently ANY digital cell phone service with a digital phone that you could connect to a PeeCee will also work with your mac. SprintPCS is what I use but I have heard from people using everything from mobility service in Canada to cingular that they have gotten it to work. With Sprint it's not even an unsupported install anymore, you can actually download a Mac modem script from their website!

The PeeCee cables mostly end in a DB9 type serial cable. With a modern mac you will need a USB/Serial adaptor. ANY of them will work fine. I recommend the Keyspan PDA adaptor, but you can also use the griffen ones and even the Palm USB adaptor, but you'll need to fudge with their extensions.

Sprint is now also selling a connection kit that is a PC card. If your mac has a PCMCIA slot (ie, not an iBook) then this also just works on your mac. It becomes a serial port. However it's more expensive than the other cable.

detailed info on various websites, but mine is at: http://www.sentman.com/mac_pcs.html

It's VERY easy to do! Max speed on sprints PCS network is 14.4, but it works for checking email. Make sure that you sign up for the wireless web service before you do this! Or they will charge you .39 US a minute! Wireless web service adds $10 to your plan and then you use regular minutes for data.

fredman
Mar 19, 2001, 06:47 PM

I have a pismo 500 and a nokie 8290, I also have cingular. Ive dont what youve been asking. First set your modem to be nokia infrared. Then set your remote access to dial your isp number along with your user name and password etc. TCP/IP controls same as for dialing modem. Then make sure there are no other stuff using infrared such as appletalk or palm pilot/handspring software. After you set all that set your phone to infrared. Click the menu button on the nokia and it should start blinking with the infrared. Point the two infrared connections together and then just hit connect with remote access. Speed is limited to 9600 baud (limited by cingular not nokia modem is set to be 14.4) Also you have to subscribe to cingulars data connect package of $5 a month AND 15 cents a minute wont use your free minutes and you must also have your own isp. I sometimes use my handspring to connect online with my phone too so found it to be useful to subscribe. If you connect only once in awhile may not be good for you. Hope this helps

if you have any questions feel free to email me

[email protected]

spike
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2001, 07:04 PM

Anyone in europe working with HDSC?

Torkel Spindler
Mar 20, 2001, 07:38 AM

If you have a portable Mac/PC with USB, the easiest way to connect them is via USB.

SoftGSM is the solution for your needs...

Look at: http://www.softgsm.com

Regards,

Torkel Spindler

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 08:37 AM

Thanks for that site I downloaded the software and have e-mailed them about the cables and the prices etc..

will soon be surfing from the park v. cool v.sexy

------------------
London 24:7 who needs sleep
http://www.nightclubbers.com
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Riba
Mar 20, 2001, 10:29 AM

Digicom Italy offers an USB connectivity solution for Mac that works with most GSM cell phones. Check it out at www.digicom.it. Yes, they do have english pages.

MacCube
Apr 3, 2001, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by madra:
LOL! Maybe if you're Doctor Who.

------------------
Read things carefully
to see if you
any words out.
Proofread carefully
to see if you
any words out.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2001, 08:27 PM

What about the nokia card phone? will that work with me pb g4?

Forum Links
Forum Rules