Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > VooDoo5 or RADEON??

VooDoo5 or RADEON??
madcow
Sep 22, 2000, 11:48 AM

I am about to buy a new G4. I have been trying to figure out what I should do for my video setup. Should I get RAGE and upgrade on my own to VooDoo5 or go ahead and spend the money on the RADEON. I haven't much in the way of a comparison and was wondering if any one has seen the differance yet.

In my old computer I gave up my VooDoo1 thinking NexusRAGE128 was the way to go.(newer, mor memory, etc...) Big disapointment. Video playback got better but TombRaiderII looked like crap, as well as MechWarrior.

So any input would be appriciated.

------------------
Moo
Moo

Freak
Sep 22, 2000, 12:55 PM

Hello. I say either go for the Readon 32mb add on card (after all its only about a $100 add to the overall price of the new G4 : ) or, wait for the new Voodoo 5 AGP which should be out in a month or two. Maybe if ya got the doe try both. I know it doesnt make much sense tio get both price wise but it would be some set up for you system.

Also You could always auction off which ever card you didnt like as much.

One thing about the Voodoo card is that it supports all 3 api's for the mac. I think this is great to have access to all 3 api's for mac. I like to play Myth and Myth 2 which are essentially Glide only games. Having the ability to do Glide Rave and Opengl is a great way to sell a card on the mac. Even if the overall performance is not as great as the readon. Or so peopel say.

Also (this is getting long) Umm...It also may depend on what type of games you like to play. If you are into the FPS with high spped gameplay like games the readon may be for you, as it probably does better with that kind of performance (frames per second).

If you like games like Combat Mission or Links 2000 you may want the Voodoo 5. The Voodoo 5 from what I hear makes things look very pretty. Even without the FFSA turned on. But with the FFSA turned on it might look like paradise on your computer screen.

Ok thats it from me...good luck!

devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2000, 01:37 PM

Your decision may depend on the rest of your set-up.

The G4s ship with an ATI card in them already, and you can upgrade this card to a Raedon, as you know. In either case the cards will come with a regular VGA connector and the new Apple ADC connector on them. If you are planning on buying Apple's new studio display monitors then you will HAVE to have one of these two cards in your G4 because the monitor has ONLY an ADC connector. There is currently no way to hook up the new Apple monitors to a VooDoo card, or any other kind of video card.

In addition, if you buy the Raedon separately (ie, not in your build-to-order configuration) it will NOT have the ADC connector on it from what I am told.

If you have 2 monitors then you can do whatever you want. I have the stock ATI card with the new Apple display hooked up to it and the VooDoo 5 card with an older monitor hooked up to it. Everything works great.

Also, 3DFX recently announced they are coming out with an AGP card for the Mac. This is good news, for the most part, but I'm sure will leave a lot of people pulling their hair out. If you buy the AGP Voodoo card you will have to remove the ATI card. Then in order to hook up a second monitor you will need to buy ANOTHER video card. And if you only have 1 monitor and it's the new Apple monitor then when you install the AGP Voodoo card you'll be out of luck because you can't hook up the Apple display to the Voodoo cards. There is an ADC to VGA adaptor, but from what I understand it is for hooking up regular monitors to the ADC connector on the card- not for hooking up Apple monitors to regular VGA connections.

So basically, you need to know how many monitors you will have and what kind. That could make the decision for you.

->Later.....Spice

Forum Links
Forum Rules