Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Omniweb 4 release?

Omniweb 4 release?
King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2001, 04:31 AM

Any word on the Omniweb 4 release? Can we expect it on Saturday?

Rick1138
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2001, 04:47 AM

The last I heard Omnigroup was planning the 1.0 either on or soon after the 24th.Until then,the beta build 9 will run on OSX 1.0;I'm typing this message from it.Expect the final release to be full-featured and running smoothly.

mindwaves
Mar 23, 2001, 04:55 AM

I am going to move this over to OS X third party software. Click through to find your thread.

mactropolis
Senior User
Mar 23, 2001, 04:55 AM

yea, 1.0 is comming out on saturday. it wil look really cool!

the browser now has a new button bar, like in the new final Finder and Mail app. you can 'customize' it. it rocks!

------------------
Disclaimer: I'm not as smart as I think I am.
Death To Extremists!

Aldie G
Mar 23, 2001, 11:30 AM

Mactropolis, is that really true? Where did you hear that?
That's just sooooo *#@(&^*$^%*% COOL!

It's my suggestion! I sent an email to the Omni-guys with this suggestion about a month ago. I told them to look at the Finder toolbar and implent something like that in Omniweb, so that you can easily customize it. I also suggested to create some new icons, because the present ones are a bit too aqua/bold.

It would really rock if they really implented this!

MikeFo
Mar 23, 2001, 01:55 PM

Got to www.omnigroup.com and see the screenshots from the new OmniWeb 4.0!!
Very, very, very nice!!!!

Mike

davidmd
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2001, 02:28 PM

WOW!! Those screenshots look AWESOME! I can't wait to get X final, delete IE, and load up OMNI! I've always used it on public beta, and thought that it was very nice, but this is just way more than I expected. Somehow I think apple should team up with them and make some Apple branded browser. I can't believe Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar company, can't come up with a browser half as compelling as the relatively tiny OmniGroup. Great work, guys! I will be paying for my copy!

davidmd

Aldie G
Mar 23, 2001, 03:46 PM

I just looked at the screenshots on Omni's website and they are FREAKING awesome! (except for the stop-icon, it's too much a red bulb) And it looks like the toolbar is going to get completely customisable just like the Finder. Oohhh... my... my suggestion has been implented. This is awesome. THanx Omni!

This is gonna be an exciting time...

Belle
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2001, 04:20 PM

Wow, it does look tasty. And it actually takes advantage of the great interface elements in Aqua. Agree about the honking big red stop button, though.

Solishu
Mar 23, 2001, 06:47 PM

Any idea if they fixed the threading problems? Will there still be orphaned processes when you interupt it loading a page and stuff like that?

Solishu
Mar 23, 2001, 06:50 PM

Any idea if they fixed the threading problems? Will there still be orphaned processes when you interupt it loading a page and stuff like that?

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2001, 10:26 PM

Goodbye, IE!!!

aabernathy
Mar 24, 2001, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by King Kong:
Any word on the Omniweb 4 release? Can we expect it on Saturday?
OmniWeb 4.0 cf1 should be available from http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/download/ at approximately midnight, U.S. Pacific time.

-andrew

rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 02:45 AM

It's available on iDisk NOW!!! It's awesome too!

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Mar 24, 2001, 03:32 AM

Sweet browser! Much improved interface plus it doesn't freeze while I move windows or select menu items, thanks to cocoa. Great alternative to I.E.
Who'sDaMac?

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2001, 03:39 AM

I've always been a big fan of IE.. particularly on the Mac platform. But having been using Omniweb 4 (Code Freeze 1) for about an hour, I think I may have a new favorite browser. This thing is fantastic!

My only reservation is that I can't seem to personalize the toolbar. Anybody been able to do that? Outside this minor glitch, it's working great!

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Mar 24, 2001, 03:44 AM

Control-click the toolbar to customize it.
Who'sDaMac?

machdreamer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 04:02 AM

I've been using Omniweb 4cf-whatever for about an hour now. It's *neat-looking* and all, but whenever I click a link I get this 'building pipeline' info-line at the bottom of the window. Occasionally it connects and loads the page, but mostly it just times out. Same thing for downloads. And does it do Quicktime?

IE, while it looks like sun-warmed feces, loads and displays at a comparatively brisk clip and only crashes on days ending in y.

So, anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by machdreamer:
IE, while it looks like sun-warmed feces, loads and displays at a comparatively brisk clip and only crashes on days ending in y.
LOL! Well, I can truly say that OmniWeb is by far the best browser ever to walk the faces of Mac users around the world! Wow! Great work and we hope to see some brand new, innovative features in the future!

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is entirely true...
*The previous sentence is most decidedly false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 04:50 AM

Yeah, I must say I'm pretty impressed. Text rendering is lovely, if small by default... Loads of preferences which are actually useful. You can prevent Javascript from opening new windows without an explicit link click... cool. Holy sh!t! It spell checks automatically!

I actually find the default links in the favorites bar useful. Shock. It's even got a source editor.

Unfortunately it looks like it's either not yet implemented Javascript and CSS completely, or it's interpreting them differently than IE and Netscape ... I'm guessing the former.

Overall very spiffy. I'm *this* close to puffing IE from my dock...
(Hey, it thinks spiffy isn't a word. Hmmm. Maybe it's not so cool afterall )

macmicke
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 08:17 AM

Well I have been an IE user a long time, as it has been the only alternative. But now!! enter omniweb. I didnt like the betas, but this fc1!
Im blown away. It works like a charm. It uses those nice drawers on the side, much sweeter than IE�s. I entered my companys Exchange site to see if it could handle the security https format. IE keeps asking if i want to continue... It worked very nice indeed. I had one crash wich it reported via mail to omni. But then IE 5.1 goes down all the time...
And right now as im typing it shows me all my miss spelled english. Wonderful. I guess microsoft just lost one webuser to omni! Damn i think im goin to pay for this.....
The real MacMicke�

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 09:03 AM

Yah for Omniweb.

Took a while to suss out how to do folders in the bookmark windows but I got there. It doesnt slow down the entire system like IE 5.1.

Only gripe is it is a bit slower in cacheing back thru pages..

Apart from that it just rocks.

rsh
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 09:37 AM

Can anyone report: is Quicktime supported? Have about other nifty web features, java for sites like Yahoo Games, etc?

-rsh

BigEndian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 11:22 AM

Quicktime = Yes
Java Games = No

Quicktime support seems pretty solid. I was able to watch everything I tried at Apple's Quicktime site. Java games wouldn't load embedded but I managed to coax some into working in Applet Launcher.

It still crashes a lot, but I like it much more than IE.

Way too go Omni

memento
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 11:22 AM

I now think this browser is great. It's got (almost) everything and looks GREAT. I poofed IE.

One question, how can I import bookmarks into OmniWeb 4.0cf1?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

notype
Mar 24, 2001, 12:15 PM

Been using OmniWeb 4 for about an hour... It stops recognizing keyboard input occassionally. Once in preferences and another time after hitting a security roadblock for my.aol.com.

It requires quitting and re-launching to fix.

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 12:29 PM

Crashed twice in about twenty minutes of use. I sent crash reports. It seems to crash mostly on pages with java applets, as well as pages that make intensive CSS. This is just conjecture, as those were the pages I was viewing at the time. It's somewhat random however, other times it will run for hours without crashing.

Fonts seem rather odd at times, some pages will have extremely large text, others extremely small, and it doesn't want to recognize stylesheets on some pages where the css is linked to in a file. Until some of these issues are fixed, I'm not sure I can use it full time. It takes just as long as IE to load on my dual g4-500, whereas load time was significantly shorter with beta9. 2-3 bounces instead of 4-6.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by notype:
Been using OmniWeb 4 for about an hour... It stops recognizing keyboard input occassionally. Once in preferences and another time after hitting a security roadblock for my.aol.com.

It requires quitting and re-launching to fix.
Oh yes... OmniWeb will cause many to 'poof' MessIE off their docks.

As a very bad speler I love the fact that OmniWeb will spell check for me even as I input the text in this here 'text input box'. Right now the word 'speler' has a little red underline telling me I spelled it incorrectly and if I right click (with my two button mouse) I get a list of correct words.

Too cool! If they can fix some of the outstanding issues (Java/JavaScript) I WILL be willing to pay for OW.

Oh and yes... Someone PLEASE tell us how to import our bookmarks!

D.

[This message has been edited by DaveGee (edited 03-24-2001).]

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 12:57 PM

Importing bookmarks is pretty simple. Open up your IE bookmark window, and go to export bookmarks (as html), you should be able to open the OmniWeb bookmarks and just drag the HTML file over. I've even been able to pull the little icons off ie "favorites" bar and drop them on OmniWeb's.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 01:39 PM

Am I missing something, or is it just a limitation of the new toolbar implementation in either OS X or OmniWeb?

To better fit things to the Powerbook screen, I tend to minimize the toolbar into 'Text Only'. But then the 'Adress Field' becomes read-only, so I can't type in an URL. Selecting 'Browser -> Go To Location' eerily does nothing... I know that 'File -> Open Location...' gets me an input field, but then that one doesn't autocomplete and feels kinda clumsy to do.

Is it a limitation from the side of the OS, that you can't fit a textfield into the button bar in a 'Text Only'- mode? Kinda silly, since it's.. umm.. text.

I hope it can be adressed at some point, even if it's just a minor glitch in a superb piece of software,

Judge_Fire

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 04:42 PM

I agree, Omni is a good browser. But the anti-aliased text at small fonts is hard to read. I tried to change it in the preferences and when I quit, I lose my settings. Anyone have any luck with this?

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 05:50 PM

Re: Font sizes: In Omniweb, in the menu bar, 'Browser' -> 'Save Browser Window Layout' saves certain window settings... Give it a shot.

Judge_Fire

BigEndian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 07:07 PM

Just got an email from the folks at OmniGroup.
The text freeze up is a known bug with Quickime Plugin (not text-only mode), and they plan to fix it post haste.

BigEndian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 07:09 PM

Double Post

[This message has been edited by BigEndian (edited 03-24-2001).]

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 10:29 PM

OmniWeb looks pretty slick. But for some reason none of the buttons on the navigation bar work. Back, Forward, Reload, History. Nothin'. I can use the keyboard to go forward and back by pressing CMD and the arrow keys. No autofill either. Is this stuff disabled on the demo model until I pay and register?

------------------
"Purity of Essence."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

Zarafa
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
OmniWeb looks pretty slick. But for some reason none of the buttons on the navigation bar work. Back, Forward, Reload, History. Nothin'. I can use the keyboard to go forward and back by pressing CMD and the arrow keys. No autofill either. Is this stuff disabled on the demo model until I pay and register?

The non-licensed version is fully functional. I downloaded it and spent a fair amount of time with it this afternoon.

My *guess* in your case is that something got corrupt -- maybe the Classic version of Stuffit Expander uncompressed the thing? Though in my experience that often prevents it from launching at all.

I'd suggest, just for kicks, downloading this again, and making sure that you uncompress it either using the version of Stuffit Expander included in the OS X "Utilities" folder, or using the command line in a Terminal session. Seems to me there are instructions on Omni's site to this effect, but they seem to be a bit overloaded right now so I can't connect to confirm.

jwardell
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 11:10 PM

Has anyone got a hold of OmniWeb's fonts yet? It renders some too small while other too large, so there seems to be no way to correctly set it.

Worse yet, Omni doesn't seem to cache past pages. For example, these forums are horrible...clicking the back button waits for the server to send the page. Especially noticable on macnn's slow forum server. I just switched back to Classic IE.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2001, 01:33 AM

BEAUTIFUL. I'd give IE the boot, but there's one thing bugging me:

In the Font and Color panel in Preferences, where it says:
"Smooth text larger than ___ points"
changing it from 2 makes no difference. Even by simply changing to another pref. panel and back, the change is gone. I tried hitting return after entering it and that made no difference. I restarted OmniWeb immediately after changing it, still no change. I even tried editing com.omnigroup.OmniWeb.plist to no avail...

Has ANYONE had any success with changing that?? I'd really like to only antialias fonts above something readable like 10 pt.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

gregomni
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
Has ANYONE had any success with changing that?? I'd really like to only antialias fonts above something readable like 10 pt.
Yeah, sorry, we screwed that up. :-(

That particular preference doesn't save itself in cf1. There will be a cf2 release sometime in the next couple days that takes care of it.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2001, 04:11 PM

Ok I'm really starting to like Omniweb with this release. It reminds me of Mail app, which I really like. But I'm having two major issues:

1- I still can't figure out a decent way to import my IE favorites. Can someone post a step-by-step "For Dummies" version? Ideally one of you clever people out there might make a script?

2- Someone set us up the bomb! It's a sad day when IE is the browser of choice for stability.

Overall, good work Omni! Keep it up.

------------------
JB71.338x

Dock Pervert? You bet your ascot I am!

austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2001, 11:38 PM

it seems kind of slow compared to 5.0 in os9 (i havent tried the ie in X yet), other then that it looks great.

Is there any chance the browser will get faster? i am on the school's t1 line, so i know it isnt my connection. would registration speed this up at all? Perhaps it is time to get a new computer.

------------------
-rok

There's someone in my head but its not me...

gregomni
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2001, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
1- I still can't figure out a decent way to import my IE favorites. Can someone post a step-by-step "For Dummies" version? Ideally one of you clever people out there might make a script?
The most straightforward way is to open the favorites file in OmniWeb as a bookmark window and then copy-n-paste or drag them over to your OmniWeb personal bookmarks.

1) Choose "Open File" from the File menu (cmd-shift-O).
2) Change the "open as" popup on the open panel to "bookmarks".
3) Navigate to your home Library/Preferences/Explorer/Favorites.html and open it.
4) Select all (cmd-a) in the bookmarks window that opens up, and then drag-n-drop or cut-n-paste into your OmniWeb bookmarks. (Or drag them over individually or as groups or whatever if you want to rearrange them.)

We definitely want to do something more automated and fool proof than this, but we haven't gotten to it yet.

2- Someone set us up the bomb! It's a sad day when IE is the browser of choice for stability.
The vastly most common type of crash (about 40% of all reports), thanks to the crash catcher reports from people, should be fixed in that cf2 release I mentioned earlier. So OmniWeb should be nearly half as crashy very soon. :-)

Half as bad still isn't zero, obviously, and we'll definitely keep working on it. Please keep sending crash reports. We have a tool to sort through and categorize the problems and we start with the ones that seem to occur most often, so don't fear that you'll overwhelm us or that they'll be duplicates.

Thanks!

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 01:08 AM

Thanx Omni fellas!

Unfortunately I had problems. The IE faves, when opened, was totally funky. The heiarchy was all out of wack and it looked insane to remedy. I might try opening it up as a web page and try sorting it out from there.

Again, good work guys! I really think Omniweb is becoming a top notch browser. When you get this one all sorted you migh want to think of a Linux port.

Best,

------------------
JB71.338x

Dock Pervert? You bet your ascot I am!

jtjr
Mar 26, 2001, 01:19 AM

i agree -- omniweb is the best browser out there.

But can someone please tell me why I still can't run a Java applet? Whose fault is this? Apple's? More important, how long until it gets fixed?

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2001, 05:41 AM

OmniWeb is by far the best web browser! As a bonus the OmniGroup people are great! They listen and respond to everything!

The crash catcher app is very smart. What other app will report its bugs? and the new feature to allow us to add more info about the bomb is kewl.

I have already paid my money! you should too!

------------------

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the responses gregomni! It's very reassuring to know that the Omni group has a presence on these boards and is listening to our comments. Whenever these last few bugs and quirks get knocked out and Omni is ready to be my browser full-time, I will be happy to open up my wallet and pay for that license.

[This message has been edited by starfleetX (edited 03-26-2001).]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2001, 09:35 AM

OmniWeb 4.0 is great, but it crash a little more times than iCab. And I am missing something that I have in iCab, the capacity to queue downloads automatically. In OmniWeb the only way I know is to being downloading files, stop the downloads until there is only one and begin activating them when one finish. I do really like OmniWeb but I am switching from iCab to OmniWeb too much.

I also plan to try a translation to Spanish, but not using it as my sole browser, and by the way there IS a Spanish version of iCab already.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2001, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by JB72:

Unfortunately I had problems. The IE faves, when opened, was totally funky. The heiarchy was all out of wack and it looked insane to remedy. I might try opening it up as a web page and try sorting it out from there.

Same problem for me with my Netscape bookmarks. When I open the file (as a bookmark file) in OW, the folder structure is not displayed correctly. In fact, it's kind of a mess. This worked perfectly well in the beta version. Mr. OMNI-guy? � vous!

David R
Mar 26, 2001, 10:15 AM

Omniweb was able to succesfully load a chat java applet after I double clicked on the java cup icon (*shrug*) but then it wouldn't let me type in the text field.

Other than that, I like Omniweb, I just wish the font smoothing preferences would stick, but I heard back from the omni people and told me that this bug is fixed in the next release. YAY.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 12:38 PM

If any OMNIpeopld are listening (and the fact that they have makes me smile and makes me a customer): instead of having to go into the Network Activity window to see info on speed etc (wich are miscalculated btw), why not have a line at the bottom (where "building pipeline" is seen) to show the d/l speed and other info? Its nice to see that your browser is doing something when you are waiting for it.

Also, can the scrolling be made smoother os is that Apple's fault?

I will also be purchasing the license once OMNIweb is ready to be prime-time! I've already puffed my IE outta my dock!
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules