Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I'm pretty sure I crashed OS X

I'm pretty sure I crashed OS X
ttoth
Oct 25, 2000, 12:27 PM

I'm not one to start rumors or such, but I think I crashed OS X! I was running Photo To Web by Stone Designs and using the slide show function. I wanted to stop the slide show and since there were no controls, I resorted to the "cmd-." keys. I got nothing but an error sounds, so I tried "cmd-q", still nothing but an error sound. Then I tried the "cmd-option-esc". That brought up the options to force quit running apps, but I was not able to do or select any apps. I tried to force quit the first one listed, CPU Monitor, but got nothing again. So I waited about 5 minutes to see what would happen, NOTHING! No mouse control that I could see, no keyboard control that I could notice, absolutly NOTHING! Unfortunately, I had the CPU Monitor window in the background so I could not see my CPU usage.

I have a G4/400/PCI, OS X and 9.04 (not running at the time), 384 MG RAM, stock HD and a WD 20 GB partitioned in to three drives (OS X is on one of them), a SCSI PCI card (doesn't work in OS X), an OrangePC 540 PCI card (doesn't work in OS X), and an ATI All in Wonder 128 video card. I have the prokeyboard from Apple, and Epson 740 USB printer (doesn't work in OS X and was turned off), a MS Optical Intellimouse (4 button and wheel version), a Lexar Media card reader (doesn't work in OS X) a UMAX 2100U scanner, and a USB adapted Palm Cradle (their adapter). The scanner, cradle and printer are in a non-powered USB hub ( I think it is Belkin, but don't quote me on that). The keyboard is plugged directly in to the computer, port 1 I believe and the mouse is on the right keyboard port and the card reader is on the left.

I have repeated this process three times and it does it every time. The only way out of it is to hit the restart button in the front of my Mac.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2000, 01:00 PM

have you tried telnetting in to your machine and killing the appropriate processes?

ttoth  (op)
Oct 25, 2000, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by gyc:
have you tried telnetting in to your machine and killing the appropriate processes?
How do you telnet into your machine and kill the processes? I was unable to do anything with my computer. Its at home and so am I.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2000, 08:19 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules