Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is THE CBDTPA?

What is THE CBDTPA?
The Dummy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2002, 11:12 PM

chris_h
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2002, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by The Dummy:
<STRONG>THE CBDTPA?</STRONG>
it basically makes it illegal to sell computers (or ANY digital device) that doesn't have hardware copyright protection built in.

Think DMCA only 10,000 times worse.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2002, 11:18 PM

I think the page kind of answers that question. It's another attempt by the corporations that run "our" government to take away more of our rights, so they can charge us multiple times for everything we do! I'm always amazed at those who say that the free market works best; this is another example of what happens when those who promote the "free market" are really wolves in sheep's clothing!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2002, 01:06 AM

It used to be called the SSSCA. The name was changed in an attempt to fool people into thinking the bill had died, and that this newly-renamed thing was something other than the government whoring itself out to the content industry, taking away the rights of the vast majority of legitimate users, in an attempt to control the whole market.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2002, 06:16 PM

Actually,

I called my senator's office this morning. Senator Edwards, who's on the judiciary committee that gets to hear about this bill.

His office didn't know if existed. I had to tell them the bill number (2048) and school them on how the bill will crush consumers and technology companies, in an attempt to grant special favors to the content industry.

I had to read from the text of the bill to tell them how it accuses every American of being a criminal, plain and simple.

Hint: when every citizen is suddenly considered a criminal under law, it's the law that needs to be altered, not the people.

2nd Hint: When corporations have made a profit for years, the courts and congress are not charged with guaranteeing continued profit in the face of changing circumstances, and contrary to public interest. When a corporation's business model changes, they don't have the right to ask congress or the courts to turn back time.

This bill renders the code:

input a$
print a$

illegal -- because it contains no copy protection, and copies the variable to memory, and to the screen.

This bill attempts to reverse a Supreme Court decision that says MP3 players do not violate copyright law.

This bill must be struck down, and anyone who supports it should be ashamed to call him or herself an American.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2002, 06:43 PM

CBDTPA Info & Opposition page

You can go here and they'll fax your opposition to your Senator. I'd still recommend calling in person, though... especially after vmark's experience.

Apparently we don't pay these people enough to know what's being put in front of them
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2002, 07:29 PM

I already emailed both of my state senators about this. Thanks for bringing this up on the forums.

The Dude
Banned
Mar 26, 2002, 07:56 PM

You should all take vmarks' actions very seriously, and do the exact same with your own local senators.

Doing that, this is another page which should be very helpful in getting this bill obliterated.

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
<STRONG>
Apparently we don't pay these people enough to know what's being put in front of them </STRONG>
The RIAA and others pay better...
iMac therefor iAm

walrusjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2002, 11:08 PM

The RIAA and others pay better...
Was going to say point taken... but they must not be forking voer enough, either, if the Senators don't even know it's on the floor.
http://www.KeynotePro.com - Keynote Themes for Professionals

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 27, 2002, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by walrusjb:
<STRONG>

Was going to say point taken... but they must not be forking voer enough, either, if the Senators don't even know it's on the floor. </STRONG>
I think there's an important distinction- the Senators may, but the people manning the phones, may not.

Hey out there in Asheville, you called Edwards' office yet? our Howard Coble is also in a position to kill this bill.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules