Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple talk drops or disconnects randomly

Apple talk drops or disconnects randomly
greggomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 07:20 PM

I finally convinced my parents to switch their law pratice over to OS X, and they couldn't be happier. Everyone loves it, especially me, who offers support.

However, they have one small glitch. They seem to loose there Appletalk connection frequently. My father has to access files stored on my mothers computer throuhout the day. He can mount her computer, but at times, for no explicable reason, the connection is lost, this forces him to remount her computer. A bit of burden. Anyone know why the appletalk connection may die frequently? Also, know of any ways to fix it. He is connecting to a new G4 700 Mhz iMac from his G3 350 B/W, both running 10.1.3, over a 10 Mbit hub.

Another similar question we mounted the drive, then created shortcuts to some of the folders in his dock. This is a cool shortcut, cause usually when we click on the shortcut, it mounts the network drive automatically, then opens the folders for viewing. However, at times only 1 or 2 of the 3 folder shortcuts work. Any thoughts why if 1 works, the others wouldn't, it's on the same drive? Also at times, he has to manually remount the network drive, however the name changes, incrementing by 1, i.e. drive, drive-1, drive-2, etc. This too seems to break the shortcuts. Anythouhgts how to mount a drive consitently so the names will be consisent?

Thanks for the help and any advice,

Greg

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2002, 07:46 PM

I don't have much experience with Appletalk, but have you tried using TCP? I think appletalk is somewhat deprecated in favor of the TCP/IP standard.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

greggomer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 08:31 PM

Perhpas I set something up incorrectly, but when I went to the go menu, and chose, connect to server. I could only see the other OS X boxes in Appletalk. They didn't show up in the local connections. I figured it is an OS X client limiataion or something. Cause at work, we have a number of servers, we can connect to them when apple file sharing is turned on through the connect to server/local network option.

Anyone know if Mac OS X clients can connect to each other via TCP/IP or not via AppleTalk, and if so, any ideas why these didn't want to see each other. One had an IP of 10.1.1.5 the other an IP of 10.1.1.10. With a subnet of 255.0.0.0. Not router since they use dial up for internet, not the local network.

Thnaks,

Greg

ecrelin
Apr 10, 2002, 01:40 PM

They can and should be able to see each other, although, I have had to connect by manually entering the IP address first and then they subsequently show up in the Local Network?!? BUT I also regularly experience the appletalk disconnects that you mention. I have a network of mixed OS 9 and OS X machines and when people connect the OS X machines via an appletalk connection it drops consistantly. TCP may be the eventual and better way to go but appletalk shouldn't break like that. I'd love to hear if anyone else has any suggestions or reasoning behind this issue.
Thanks, Ed

greggomer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2002, 11:07 AM

We have been connecting to the other OS X boxes via TCP/IP. It works much better, and the connection is much more robust, and doesn't drop as frequently. We created a shortcut too, from a tip here on OSX Hints that lets us easily reconnect.

The OS 9 box we connect to, still drops the connection, even if we just put our computer to sleep, it looses the appletalk connection. Oh well though, it's been an improvement.

Greg

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2002, 11:23 AM

Off-topic a bit (sorry):

I don't want AppleTalk to go away. I like that it's not dependent on an IP address. On my campus, I've been saved more than once by AppleTalk since I can always use that network even if I can't get an IP address from our DHCP server (like when I'm in an academic building). Unfortunately, AppleTalk in X isn't nearly up to par with AppleTalk in 9, for an AppleShare server more than client. I wish it would get better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules