Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > February 9: HP-Palm's WebOS Tablet

February 9: HP-Palm's WebOS Tablet (Page 7)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 10:54 PM

Snagged one off HP's site for $92 with APP. We'll see what it's like when it gets here.

So, if you want one, and are a student or educator (or used to be one, hehe) you can grab one here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/epp_home.do

Use coupon save15HP to get an extra $15 off.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 10:57 PM

I'm not seeing that price at all.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 10:57 PM

Wow, I completely missed it. Out of stock and back to $299. I kept adding it to my cart and it was showing $399.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Snagged one off HP's site for $92 with APP. We'll see what it's like when it gets here.

So, if you want one, and are a student or educator (or used to be one, hehe) you can grab one here:

HP� Official Store — Buy HP Laptops, Notebook PCs, Printers, Desktop Computers, Handhelds, Scanners, Monitors, and Calculators direct from the HP Home & Home Office Store under EPP

Use coupon save15HP to get an extra $15 off.
Still not seeing that price, even with your link.

Did you have to complete the entire checkout process or what?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Still not seeing that price, even with your link.

Did you have to complete the entire checkout process or what?
You should see the new price when it's in your cart, if not clear cookies and cache and try again.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 11:02 PM

Never mind, it was only one of Amazon's sellers. They haven't dropped the price yet.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 11:03 PM

You should see the new price when it's in your cart, if not clear cookies and cache and try again.
Not working for me on any browser.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:04 PM

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 16GB | HP� Official Store

Try that link directly, be quick!

Hurry, before that link goes pop!
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 11:04 PM

Nope, still $399.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:06 PM

Dammit, I'm seeing it at $99 with that link on 3 different systems here. Do you have an education account on HP already?
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 11:07 PM

Yeah, I can't see that $99 no matter what I try.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:07 PM

16GB is now showing OOS, but the 32GB is still available.

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB | HP� Official Store
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:08 PM

You have to make an APP account ahead of time, it seems. That's all I can think of.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 11:08 PM

At $499 here... I am sitting side by side with my MacBook and my dad's iMac and I can't find these $99 prices anywhere.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 11:10 PM

I wonder how much inventory HP actually has... Best Buy has a lot, obviously.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2011, 11:13 PM

HP is going to make the $99 price official tomorrow. Just check Best Buy, Amazon or wherever then.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 11:14 PM

I'm afraid they'll go out of stock within a few minutes of the price drop, like they have been at Canadian retailers.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 11:16 PM

Yeah, no doubt. I'm getting one of these things, dammit, and if I have to ignore the TV for a few hours on a Friday night then I'll do it!

I'm actually excited for this, I love being a tech buzzard; still enjoying all of my HD DVD stash.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:16 PM

That was my order, not sure why it wasn't showing for you guys.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 11:19 PM

Yeah, no doubt. I'm getting one of these things, dammit, and if I have to ignore the TV for a few hours on a Friday night then I'll do it!

I'm actually excited for this, I love being a tech buzzard; still enjoying all of my HD DVD stash.
Same here. I activated my old Pre Plus today just to play with it for a bit (and my Droid's battery seems to be shot anyway), and it's so fun to play around with. The TouchPad will be the same for me.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 11:22 PM

I wonder if this is 3G activation or WiFi/internet because I'm running a wired setup at the moment.

Could always duck across the street to Burger King I guess.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 11:24 PM

Well I'm at home with cable internet and I have Safari on Private Browsing so it isn't keeping a cache and Chrome on normal, and it isn't showing these low prices anywhere.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:39 PM

Heh. My Mac friends went apesh!t over this deal, despite the fact that when it comes to computing devices they don't buy anything but Apple products.

I had a unit reserved through the Future Shop website about 3 hours ago, but then cancelled it because I didn't feel like dropping $113 (incl. tax) on orphaned hardware with no new software (or even much existing software) available for it. Basically it'd be a browser frozen in time, like paying 3-digit $ for a sluggish computer that can only ever run Firefox 4.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 11:51 PM

Just got through chatting with HP and they said to place the order and wait for a credit back on the order total. I saved the transcript just in case.

To click Submit or not...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heh. My Mac friends went apesh!t over this deal, despite the fact that when it comes to computing devices they don't buy anything but Apple products.

I had a unit reserved through the Future Shop website about 3 hours ago, but then cancelled it because I didn't feel like dropping $113 (incl. tax) on orphaned hardware with no new software (or even much existing software) available for it. Basically it'd be a browser frozen in time, like paying 3-digit $ for a sluggish computer that can only ever run Firefox 4.
xda is on the ball working on rooting, bet they have Android on it in a week or so.
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 12:14 AM

Boom. Had to do a lot of page refreshing and cookie clearing, but I finally got the 32GB to show up at $149

The 16GB may have sold out, but I'm glad I went with the 32GB anyways as this is probably the only tablet I'm going to own for quite some time. Plus, to give myself something of a safety net, I went ahead and purchased it on my American Express to double the warranty.

Muahahaha! Dead tech rulez!

Hope the accessories plummet in value soon too because daddy needs a slick carrying case.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Aug 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 12:15 AM

xda is on the ball working on rooting, bet they have Android on it in a week or so.
Sounds an awful lot like it'd be like a temperamental hackintosh.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 01:18 AM

That was my order, not sure why it wasn't showing for you guys.
Have you gotten any sort of confirmation via e-mail yet? Word is they're going to or are already in the process of canceling orders with coupon codes.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 02:15 AM

Have you gotten any sort of confirmation via e-mail yet? Word is they're going to or are already in the process of canceling orders with coupon codes.

No, it says it's verifying, not sure what that means. If they cancel I'm just going to say screw it. I only wanted it so I could play with the Android 3.x hacks that xda is working on. It would make a decent HC tablet, given the specs, but I'd void the warranty right out the gate.
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 02:20 AM

My status is "Item being processed", whatever that means.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 02:26 AM

Feb. 9, 2011 - Business Insider: Why HP's TouchPad Can Beat Android Tablets

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 03:14 AM

Well, Android tablets are hardly giving the iPad a run for its money, even collectively.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

freudling
Banned
Aug 20, 2011, 10:40 AM

You know... This whole thing is sad. I woke up this morning. Day 2 with the TouchPad. It's nice. It's fun. Not as good as an iPad 2 but one of the best tablets going. And they just killed it.

Canada was fire selling out last night. Mad rush for 3 hours.

With all these sales webOS is going to have more marketshare than almost all iPad competitors. I think at least this fire sale is going to put webOS on the tablet map. Whoever licenses it, if anybody, should do it fast to play off this momentum.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 10:45 AM

I going shopping today... for a 128 GB SSD. I put a 64 GB one in my MacBook Pro and I loved it so much I'm getting a bigger lower power one for the MBP, and trasferring the 64 GB model to my Windows 7 laptop.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2011, 11:34 AM

What does that have to do with anything?

Couldn't get my hands on one last night and no luck this morning. I guess they are all sold out everywhere?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 02:06 PM

That's where the money saved from not buying the orphaned tablet will go.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2011, 02:41 PM

HP is buying back all stock from retailers and offering refunds to anyone who bought them. Wow. Has anything like this happened before? It's very odd.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 03:31 PM

I think I saw somewhere they cost ~$320 to make.

So, if there are 450000 out there at $100, that's a loss of $220 x 450000 = ~$100 million, and that's assuming the stores are selling it at cost.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Wow. Just wow. I guess I got ripped at $260. But what can you do. At least I didn't pay full price.

HP really has it in for webOS. Jesus. These prices are insane. HP is insane. The TouchPad is a good device. I'm using it a lot. The only good thing is that many people will buy... It'll help keep webOS alive a little longer.

Skype, FB and message integration in his is fantastic. Grab a TP while you still can at these prices. It's worth it.
I admire how you are able to extract so many positive things out of it.

The fact is, webOS and TouchPad are a gigantic failure.

-t

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2011, 04:48 PM

That's where the money saved from not buying the orphaned tablet will go.
Or you could have used that money to buy used movies for your HD-DVD player.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

freudling
Banned
Aug 20, 2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I admire how you are able to extract so many positive things out of it.

The fact is, webOS and TouchPad are a gigantic failure.

-t
Ya... It's such a good product though. This is more a failure of management than webOS on its on. It needs new, young people behind it and top notch hardware. Jon Rubinstein and gang were not the right fit.

They dropped the price to $399 and $499 for only like a few weeks. HP never gave this thing a fair go. It's management and infighting...

At least Motorola with the Zoom and RIM with the PlayBook have stuck it out and not dumped the whole thing/price right away. HP acted like a 14 year old girl with ADD.

It's enterprise and printers now. Something tells me they regretted buying Palm and were intent on finding an excuse to kill all this stuff.

Samsung or HTC are the best candidates for a license, along with Amazon.

Make no mistake. WebOS is really good. It's more Apple than Apple as they say. Somebody is going to pick this up.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 06:29 PM

Yeah, I've no doubt that WebOS is going to live on in some form or another. HP has already done their best to make clear their intent to pursue its development and support as well as look for a suitor.

Anyways, as I wait with crossed fingers to see if HP honors my order and the applied coupon, I snagged one from Wal-Mart in the middle of the night at full price - last one. Went in this afternoon to price match, since their web price had dropped, and they outright refused since the in-store price hasn't dropped and nobody else has it in their 'ad', which is apparently the only condition under which they'll match a price.

Wasted 30 minutes arguing with hostile middle aged managers who had no idea what was going on and barely wanted to give me the time of day. Remind me again to not allow myself to get stuck in retail beyond the next year or so.

Anyways... Luckily I haven't opened the thing so I'll go dump it back on them in a few days if their in-store pricing isn't adjusted downward.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 06:38 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on WebOS surviving.

There's iOS, Android and Windows 7.

The significant players in the tablet and phone world have already picked their horses.
I don't see anyone jumping on the WebOS bandwagon, especially not now that HP killed it.

Sorry, but this is just a dream.

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 06:54 PM

If it dies, it dies. But The TouchPad will have an Android port available within a few months, if not weeks - the effort has already begun. These are hardly dead ends insofar as hardware purchases.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

freudling
Banned
Aug 20, 2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on WebOS surviving.

There's iOS, Android and Windows 7.

The significant players in the tablet and phone world have already picked their horses.
I don't see anyone jumping on the WebOS bandwagon, especially not now that HP killed it.

Sorry, but this is just a dream.

-t
Ya I know. But it's not all fleshed out yet. WP7 has just 1 or 2% marketshare. It's been a total failure, and MS has stated they are not putting it on tablets. The future of WP7 and Nokia for that matter has yet to be determined. My prediction is that they'll penetrate somewhat overseas but won't unseat iOS or Android. It could also end up a total failure, like it is now.

The problem here for WP7 is they don't have a draw product like the iPad, and they won't for the foreseeable future. Apple's iPad along with the iPhone is the big draw to iOS. This will remain no different for the next few years. Make no mistake WP7's future is uncertain .

As for webOS, to use it is to love it. They just need the right hardware. It scales so well to a tablet it's insane.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 07:42 PM

But The TouchPad will have an Android port available within a few months, if not weeks...
...even sooner, apparently. The 'TouchDroid' team is already seeding the beta.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2011, 08:02 PM

Make no mistake. WebOS is really good. It's more Apple than Apple as they say. Somebody is going to pick this up.
As for webOS, to use it is to love it. They just need the right hardware. It scales so well to a tablet it's insane.
webOS is dead.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2011, 08:26 PM

Interesting that WebOS runs over twice as fast on iPad hardware as it did on its own.

I wouldn't write it off just yet. Most other handset manufacturers might be quite pleased to license another OS having seen the way Microsoft treated its licensees in the past and now having seen Google buy out Moto.

HP needs to make sure there are plenty of apps and the right apps for it and it might just survive.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

freudling
Banned
Aug 20, 2011, 08:47 PM

webOS is dead.
Ya whatever Eug.

BREAKING

This is a rumor. However it's one that makes. Yes, a rumor... But after reading this short thread, this could be IT.

Apparently, HP had been in talks with Samsung and htc about them using webOS. They were reluctant because HP's hardware would compete. Add on the fact that HP has known their hardware was holding back WebOS's performance... In addition to lack luster sales of the TP and smartphones... They made the bold decision to ditch it to license it instead. That they are going to license it is the main reason their ditching the hardware.

The losses they're taking now are being written off as marketing and for tax purposes.

Expect an announcement in 2 weeks.

This is all unconfirmed but interesting nonetheless.

Source

HP Best Buy rep. 'Watch for Samsung or HTC' - PreCentral Forums

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I wouldn't write it off just yet.
But... Eug just told us to?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er