Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HardDrive suggestions.

External HardDrive suggestions.
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Sep 12, 2012, 05:22 AM

Hello all,

I have a Macair and was about to buy Carbonite, but just realized that I might as well utilize Time Machine and by a hard drive. Can anyone suggest a few decent drives?

Thanks

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 12:37 PM

You should do both. Your house burns down or you get burgled you've lost everything.

I prefer CrashPlan over Carbonite FWIW. More services for cheaper, and a prorated refund if you cancel.

For a hard drive, get an OEM Western Digital Green of whatever size you want, and pop it in an enclosure. Job's done.

I personally wouldn't go larger than 2TB yet, but I'm a paranoid type. I like to buy one level below the widely available maximum.

Think of it like a cassette tape. There's no room in there for you to add tape, so your only option for making it hold more is making the tape thinner. Thinner tape is more susceptible to stretching and tangles.

The 60 minute cassettes were pretty bulletproof, but the 90 minute ones used to die. By the time they released 120 minute cassettes, they had worked most of the bugs out of the 90 minute thickness.

OreoCookie
Sep 20, 2012, 07:32 PM

You should actually use both, Time Machine and Crashplan. I use Crashplan's $50/year unlimited plan and so far, it's been working flawlessly. But you should not rely on a single backup.

As for external hard drives, I still suggest you look into Lacie drives, more specifically LaCie's Porsche Design P'9230 USB3 drives. It's clear, FireWire is on its way out and USB3 is fast enough for today's hard drives. I specifically recommend this drive, because it does not have a fan (unlike the plastic Lacie drives and many other third-party drives). Fans drive me crazy
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2012, 12:48 PM

Fans also keep high-RPM drives cooler, which extends lifespan and can prevent premature failure.

To the OP: I wouldn't waste the money on LaCie drives. They're nothing special and are overpriced compared to other brands.

External drives these days are priced about the same as internals and come with the same warranty (three years) for the most part, so that's what I'd stick with if I were you.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Sep 21, 2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Fans also keep high-RPM drives cooler, which extends lifespan and can prevent premature failure.
Not really. For one thing, that massive Google study did not manage to link temperature to hard drive life time, and for another, the fans blow onto the PSU for the drive rather than the drive itself.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Sep 21, 2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
To the OP: I wouldn't waste the money on LaCie drives. They're nothing special and are overpriced compared to other brands.
They look nice and lack a fan. Of course it'd be cheaper to buy a USB hard drive enclosure for ~10 € for 2.5" drives and a little more for 3.5" drives and the drive, to me, I'm willing to spend a little extra to get a nicer looking enclosure. The nice thing is that almost all external enclosures these days use the same power plug
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2012, 11:17 AM

LaCie used to be infamous for having terrible reliability. I don't know if this is still the case, but shifuimam is correct in any case that they are overpriced and not that special, so I'd generally avoid them.

Subego has the best advice in the thread. Get a Western Digital Green drive, which are designed for low power usage and low heat emissions, and thus are less likely to overheat than standard drives. Then, get any enclosure you want on Newegg and put the drive in it. USB 3.0 enclosures are pretty cheap and commonplace these days, so you can pretty much pick out whatever you want.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2012, 11:05 PM

Build your own. Look on Dealnews for a drive special, and find an enclosure on Amazon, Newegg, or OWC. It'll be easy, cheaper than buying off the shelf, and you can have exactly what you want.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2012, 09:36 PM

Nergol is right, it's really simple, if you get a laptop drive, there are no screws, you just insert the drive and snap the case shut. OWC has many cases, and drives are often available at sale prices at Newegg. For a regular HD, it's just a few screws, anyone can do it. Read the reviews of each drive you're interested in on Amazon and Newegg.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2012, 02:07 AM

I second the recommendation to but a WD Green HDD and put it in an external enclosure that has a good bridge chipset. Ideally you'd have a TM backup and an online backup but with one or the other you're way ahead of the game. What percentage of people experience a burglary or fire or some other catastrophe vs. a hard drive failure? (Maybe it's a wash).

Forum Links
Forum Rules