Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Great little Jaguar features.

Great little Jaguar features. (Page 4)
ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by mikebat:

You can also drag the little double line underneath those 14 "favourite colours" to see 9 more rows!
How do you make a color a "favorite"? I tried dragging a color down to the favorite area, double-clicking, and various modifier keys.....

Also, what's the function of the magnifying-glass cursor?

Thanks!
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:

How do you make a color a "favorite"? I tried dragging a color down to the favorite area, double-clicking, and various modifier keys.....

Also, what's the function of the magnifying-glass cursor?

Thanks!
Magnifying cursor - click it and your pointer will change to a magnifying glass, move it over your screen and click the magnified area of a colour you want and that colour will become your choice in the colour picker.

To make a colour a favourite, you did the right thing... unsure why it didn't stick for you.

FWIW, if you click the icon that looks like a landscape picture, you can drag and drop images to the well to be able to pick colours from there too:

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by JKT:

To make a colour a favourite, you did the right thing... unsure why it didn't stick for you.
Ummm, which thing did I do right? Dragging? Double-clicking? Modifier keys?

Thanks!

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 12:23 PM

Ummm, which thing did I do right? Dragging? Double-clicking? Modifier keys?

Thanks!
Doh! Sorry... just drag and drop a colour to one of the little wells at the bottom. It should stay there as a favourite.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:

Ah, but it is a feature of the OS supporting a feature of the file system - before OS X was storing pathnames to files, not file id's.
I was not aware of that. You learn something new every day, I suppose.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by iNub:

I was not aware of that. You learn something new every day, I suppose.
And so do the NeXT people working on OS X.

ppp
Sep 4, 2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by DAlex:
I like the new style Preview, the way the window has gained a thumbnail preview draw - If you select multiple .pdf files in the finder and open them all in Preview it no longer opens multiple windows, instead it opens one window but puts all of the docs in the thumbnail draw (but they still function as separate docs so if you click on page 1 of the third doc and click print, it will only print that one document, not all of them).

DAlex
Yeah, I like that too, and also the fact that you can set a preference to display the images at their pixel size, ignoring resolution.

However, the thumbnail solution needs some tweaking. If you've opened several images at once, you can't do a side-by-side comparison (only one shows up at a time), and you can't close a few of the images, only the whole bunch of them together.

There should be an option to disable the entire behavior (and use the multi-window way). Also, there should be a way to drag and drop thumbnails between windows (or to folders, even), and close individual images.

The thumbnails are there, but are dumb: all you can do is click on them.

Oh, another good thing: you can play animated GIFs using the "play" button (I think you need to customize your toolbar to enable it).

ppp
Sep 4, 2002, 05:05 PM

edit: deleted entire offtopic rant -- see it quoted below.
( Last edited by ppp; Sep 4, 2002 at 05:59 PM. )

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by ppp:

<RANT>
These freakin' global keystrokes make me go FREAKIN NUTS!!!

Err.... Command-Tab. Sure, right. So what if Quark (it isn't quite dead yet, unfortunately, I need to use it when I can't do InDesign) uses Command-Tab for navigation between tools?

Or here's a better example. FileMaker Inc. is a freakin' fully-owned subsidiary of Apple... And FileMaker uses Command-Tab to navigate between records.

Didn't it occur to Apple that MAYBE, just MAYBE they should make the app switching behavior customizable???!?!?!?!??!

</RANT>
[/QUOTE]

Aw, c'mon man. This thread was freaking awesome up to now.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 05:45 PM

Global command shortcuts for essential behaviors (switching/hiding/minimizing apps and windows) are a good thing, actually. (If used in moderation... which Apple does.) You can argue whether something's essential or not, and deserves a place as a global command, but having global commands are an earmark of good UI.

Apps have to respect those handful of commands reserved for systemwide behavior.
Or: offer a choice for an alternative or override, as Adobe has done, smartly, in Photoshop and InDesign.

I'd say your beef lies more with Quark and FileMaker than Apple. I can't speak for FileMaker, but Quark should have retired that command-tab tool switcher thing long, long ago. But Quark marches on its own drum-beat, right?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 05:56 PM

Anyway, back OT...

I'm impressed by the new and sophisticated navigation and folder selection behavior in Column View. It took me a few days to notice this one.

So, in Column View, observe the difference between selecting a folder with the mouse (solid arrow) and via the keyboard (outline arrow).

When a folder is selected using the mouse in Column view (solid), pressing a key will move you the file beginning with that letter within the folder selected. When using the keyboard (outline), pressing a key will move you to a file beginning with that letter within the current column. Press right arrow key, command-O, or click w/ the mouse, and the folder is "activated", turning to solid arrow.

Basically, a folder in Column View can now be kind of "half-selected", in which you're there but priority is still placed on the column over the folder.

Very subtle (if I have the behavior correct -- I'm writing from memory), and very smart.

Nice thread, btw.

ppp
Sep 4, 2002, 06:12 PM

I'm not sure if this is new... But look at the great little animation the Address Book does when you drag contacts (names) onto a group. First, there's a red number showing how many you're dragging, then there's a beautiful "scale effect" animation showing that the contacts have been "dropped" on the list.

Is this a new Cocoa drag-and-drop feature? Perhaps new Cocoa apps will automatically have it? A developer could verify this... Anyway, compare these subtle little animations to the silly, space-consuming cartoons Windows has, of documents doing backflips and the like.

I'm also impressed by "small icons" in Cocoa toolbars. They were much-needed (those 32-pixel icons are quite large if you have a lot of them). What's especially awesome is that Cocoa apps need not be rewritten to have it: your old ones will automatically have that feature if you run them in Jaguar.

clock melter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2002, 08:50 PM

Haven't the mention of the fact that screen resolution can be set independently for each user on the system. Great feature for those of us who share our Macs. Nothing to do, just set it and forget it. I think I will remove the displays menu extra now.

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2002, 01:49 AM

This won't mean anything to most people, I guess, but if you happen to do a lot of work with text in different scripts, this is wonderful: open the "International" System Preference and click the Input Menu tab; scroll down till you find "Character Palette" and check the box. Now, you can click the flag icon in the menu bar and choose "Show Character Palette" to get a tool for browsing character sets.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 03:57 AM

Read the bit about the Fish desktop. I have that screensaver, and I must try this !

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/0...x-10.2-10.html

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 02:14 PM

The Finder is now the default application for FTP. Click an FTP URL anywhere and the Finder will ask where to save the file.

Now this is cool!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2002, 03:49 PM

just noticed this: when you're in icon view and turn on "show info" in the view options, it'll show the length of mp3's and the dimensions of images. neat!

Janger
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 05:36 PM

This is not really a nifty little feature, but to me it is the best thing about Jaguar: It is finally possible to print special characters using Type 1 fonts. With 10.1, I always had to switch to OS 9 to print / PDF my documents correctly.

Janger
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
The Finder is now the default application for FTP. Click an FTP URL anywhere and the Finder will ask where to save the file.

Now this is cool!
Well... I actually dislike this one. Interarchy is my favourite FTP client, and the protocol helper for FTP is still Interarchy. But all FTP requests end up in the finder.

bewebste
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Read the bit about the Fish desktop. I have that screensaver, and I must try this !

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/0...x-10.2-10.html
Yeah, I've had this setup for about a week now. I love my little fishies. There's one swimming under my dock right now, and the starfish has made his way up onto the glass of the aquarium.

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:

Yeah, I've had this setup for about a week now. I love my little fishies. There's one swimming under my dock right now, and the starfish has made his way up onto the glass of the aquarium.

I have Marine Aquarium also, but don't know how to get it to be my desktop. How didja do that?

THX!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 5, 2002, 08:42 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 6, 2004 at 01:09 AM. )

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:

I have a mouse with a scrollwheel, and I don't have the scrolling speed option in my mouse prefs. Hmmmm. Maybe it's cause I installed the Logitech control center thing? I dunno.

This was in AIM as well, Direct Connection.
You should be able to adjust scroll speed with the Logitech Control Center...it's set by default to Accelerated Scroll, so that could be a problem.

My fave new feature is the ability to use /etc/hosts for resolving. Fixed some firewall issues for me. Great stuff in this thread...

--Josh

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2002, 12:50 AM

A thread like this is what the OS X forum was made for, I think

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
* Smaller fonts in the Finder (Command-J). Nice.
Actually, the weird thing about that, is that it doesn't actually fit any more items in list mode using smaller font sizes... and it doesn't fit fewer if you up the font size, either! It just removes blank space in between lines, simply increases the size of the fonts themselves.

Originally posted by Zadian:
Scrolling with pushed scroll wheel - the page will scroll down much faster. Very cool if you normally have set the scroll wheel speed to slowest.
Actually, I don't think it's pushing, but, at least on my iBook with my Logitech, it seems to have scroll wheel acceleration. When you scroll down, if you keep scrolling down a lot, it will simply scroll a large amount on each successive click of the wheel instead of a fixed amount. Very neat, makes OS X feel more responsive even if it's not.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 01:48 AM

I have Marine Aquarium also, but don't know how to get it to be my desktop. How didja do that?

THX!
Do this in the terminal, assuming Marine Aquarium is set as your screen saver.
Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background
Makes my iBook chug but obviously it is QE challenged

Wesley

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2002, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Actually, I don't think it's pushing, but, at least on my iBook with my Logitech, it seems to have scroll wheel acceleration.
Yes there is acceleration. Now go to the Mous Settings and set that scrolling acceleration to slowest - this will disable acceleration and set the scroll wheel to one line for one click.

OK, now try it out. To see how it works.

OK, now to the tip - push/press the scroll wheel while scrolling. Now its one page per click of the scroll wheel.

See the difference? It might not be noticeable with acceleration turned on.

I don't like the scrolling acceleration but this is a cool way to scroll fast to a certain position.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:

Yes there is acceleration. Now go to the Mous Settings and set that scrolling acceleration to slowest - this will disable acceleration and set the scroll wheel to one line for one click.

OK, now try it out. To see how it works.

OK, now to the tip - push/press the scroll wheel while scrolling. Now its one page per click of the scroll wheel.

See the difference? It might not be noticeable with acceleration turned on.

I don't like the scrolling acceleration but this is a cool way to scroll fast to a certain position.
i had noticed this in omniweb (even before jaguar), but it doesn't work in any other application here...

in what applications does it work for you?

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2002, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by seb2:

i had noticed this in omniweb (even before jaguar), but it doesn't work in any other application here...

in what applications does it work for you?
I only used it in OmniWeb.
I've tried it now in other apps and it seams to be a OmniWeb feature. Never noticed it before jaguar. Sorry.

VRL
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by BZ:

This is the best thread I have read in these forums in 3 months.

You got that right.

One of the best things: My Axis print server (Epson 740) works again!!!!!

VRL
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by barney ntd:

I played around with this and had the same problem with other countries. On the ones I tried, it works properly if you set each address format to the format of that country. It seems that it is using the format instead of the address when looking up the map. A small bug, I think.

Barney.
Or a feature??

The Address Book works very well finding addresses in Germany. Tried it out after reading this. Very handy.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 10:46 AM

I just noticed one when opening my iBook. My iChat and Airport Menu Items scooted about 30 pixels to the left and there was the name of the airport newtork I just connected to scrolling by, then it dissapeared and the menu items popped back to the right.

Mac Guru

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 10:47 PM

Nice.

Not only does the finder give you an option to turn off the preview column in column view... you can also collapse the graphical preview without hiding the file attributes.

Text clipping previews display their entire contents using a scrollable preview column.
( Last edited by dfiler; Sep 6, 2002 at 10:53 PM. )

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 02:41 AM

In the Finder, place a window off screen, so part of the window title shows, drag a file to it. The window slides into view, spring folder work so you can drill down into other folders and drop the file.

From Bradster at AppleInsider forum : QT movie

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2002, 07:47 AM

I think this was in Mac OS X pre-jag - But I've only just discovered it for myself - Incredibly useful:

if you are in an open/Save panel/sheet and you want to quickly get to a path then you can type it in the text-field above/below the file browser. (Obvious)

I used to try and auto-complete in this control by pressing tab (Like in the Finder's "Go To Folder�" sheet) - This does not auto-complete though. Tab moves you out of the text field and back to the File browser control - as it should.

F5 auto-completes variable/method names in Project Builder - so on an off-chance I tried Pressing F5 in the path text-field.

What do you know - It works! It's a great keyboard short-cut that seems to be implemented as much as possible (when dealing with paths).

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2002, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
F5 auto-completes variable/method names in Project Builder - so on an off-chance I tried Pressing F5 in the path text-field.

What do you know - It works! It's a great keyboard short-cut that seems to be implemented as much as possible (when dealing with paths).
one of the most useful features ever. i had always thought that one was missing.
thanks for letting us know!

robre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2002, 11:09 PM

Don't know if this has been noticed before, but if you use the zoom feature to zoom in on a playing qucktime movie, the arrow cursor will move off into the upper left hand corner of the screen after a few seconds to allow an unobstructed view of the movie.
robre

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
There is now a "Save as PDF..." button in the print dialog, a lot more convenient and user-friendly than hitting Preview and having to save a copy somewhere outside the /tmp directory.
I agree that this is a great improvement, however, you never had to hit Preview in previous version of the OS, you could still do it all from the Print dialogue. In old versions you just had to choose "Output Options" from the pop-up in the Print dialog, then select "Save as PDF". No Preview required (NB: This can still be done in 10.2, but is redundant, with the new PDF button).

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2002, 01:46 PM

Found out a new way to restart. HOld down the ctrl-command Keys and the F12 aka disk eject Key. Hold them down and Jag will reboot. Also the Option-Command + F12 aka Disk Eject Key will put Jag to sleep.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2002, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Betox:
This one is funny!!

When I insert a floppy in to my VST floppy drive, it mounts with a beautifull diskette icon! It's funny that Apple still thinking of us floppy users.... Thank you Apple.
Except that they don't support my built-in floppy drive on my beige G3. Bummer
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Curlywee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2002, 06:33 AM

There's a neat little touch in Mail.app. If you switch to a mailbox which contains new mail, the new messages instantly appear alone while the previous ones load in the background. This is a vast improvement on the earlier behaviour where it could take a very long time indeed to display messages when switching to a large mailbox.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 06:50 AM

This is from Mac OS X - The Missing Manual :

Dragging an icon from one disk to another while pressing <command> moves the file or folder, in the process deleting it from the original disk.
This last trick is a dramatic change from the Mac OS 9 era, where you could never move an icon to a different disk. You had no choice but to manually delete the original from your hard drive after dragging it to the second disk.
I haven't tested this, and it's not a new Jaguar feature, but this is news to me ! I'm forever copying files to another disk, and then deleting the original. This shortcut will be a big help

Another one (that I think somone mentioned already) - hold down shift when you open or close a window - you see the zoom animation in slo-mo. Cool !

mism
Sep 11, 2002, 08:01 AM

Gee4orce wrote:

"Dragging an icon from one disk to another while pressing <command> moves the file or folder, in the process deleting it from the original disk."

nice one, just tried it (between partitions) and it works. You can watch the green + symbol turn on and off as you press and release <command>, very useful.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 08:10 AM

Wow - that command-copy is very useful!

There is a key-combo that will switch the two characters either side of the caret - eg: "teh" becomes "the" (if the caret were between 'e' and 'h')

But I can't remember what it is!

mism
Sep 11, 2002, 08:21 AM

try and rememeber, taht would be very useful indeed.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2002, 12:18 PM

Not exclusive to Jaguar, but worth mentioning. We can't forget the Shift + click/drag on the Dock separator to move it to either side or the bottom...remember in 10.0 when we couldn't do much with the dock?

boardsurfer
Sep 11, 2002, 04:44 PM

Just got Jagwire a few days ago, and while I dont really have any little tips or tricks I can offer this - In Sherlock when you search for a movie, in addition to showing theatres and times and stuff, it automatically shows a movie "poster" and begins a quicktime preview of the movie. Completely unexpected and way cool.

boardsurfer
Sep 11, 2002, 04:46 PM

Double Post

ErsatzTom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2002, 12:56 AM

I don't know if it was fixed with Jag or earlier but at some point they fixed the problem with Administrator passwords that have spaces in them.

mism
Sep 12, 2002, 09:12 AM

"Also the Option-Command + Disk Eject Key will put Jag to sleep."

this works at the login screen as well. It always annoyed me that there wasn't a sleep button along with restart etc.

Keda
Senior User
Sep 12, 2002, 10:31 AM

Dragging an icon from one disk to another while pressing <command> moves the file or folder, in the process deleting it from the original disk.
Im in 10.1.5 and this works for all views except Column. I cmd-drag a .mov from one disk to another. It will copy, but not remove the original because it says it is in use. The preview column is trating the file as if it was open.

Still a very cool feature. Shift drag on the Dock is great too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules