Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Boycott MICROTEK!

Boycott MICROTEK!
AmICHEETAH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 07:01 AM

Boycott MICROTEK!

Their support is awful! I want to be able to use my scanner in OS X! So I looked at their schedule for drivers to be released this spring. It said it was planned to the summer. Then they changed to October 1st. And now they've changed the date to December 1st!!! Is this a joke or something!??? I'm so glad I'm not a professional who needs the scanner for a work to be done! Microtek seems to give a sh*t about their users, and just sell their scanners! Microtek: what if someone wants to USE their scanners, and not only buy them from you!???

Please do not support this kind of business Microtek does! Their drivers for OS X could as well come in 2010 as this year. I dont think they'll be able to release it this year. Because they don't seem to put any work on it at all! And they say it's because Apple changes their system (OS X) all the time! What trash-talk!

cheers
/CHEETAH

Cipher13
Oct 2, 2002, 07:14 AM

Yeah, I have an X6, and haven't used it in ages because of this issue. Too bad, it's a nice scanner.

I won't be getting another Microtek unless they get off their asses driver/software wise.

Are there any alternatives?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 07:39 AM

Have you tried vuescan?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 08:14 AM

I've got a 4700 and have watched the release dates for drivers slip repeatedly for the last three months. Not happy.

Vuescan is suck@ss slow with the 4700. 2-3 minutes to recognize it, 2-3 minnutes to fill the buffer cache, mouse clicks on buttons don't register for 5 to 10 seconds, etc. Maybe it works nice and fast with other scanners, but not mine. I'm really very sorry I bought that program.

Fortunately, PS 6 and Classic still work.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Yeah, I have an X6, and haven't used it in ages because of this issue. Too bad, it's a nice scanner.

I won't be getting another Microtek unless they get off their asses driver/software wise.

I have an X6USB also. The reason why we will never see an OS X driver (or VueScan support) is because it's not really a USB scanner. It's a parallel port scanner with an internal parallel-to-USB converter. I've heard that there just isn't any decent way of creating an OS X driver for a device that's fundamentally a parallel port scanner.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

I have a Agfa scanner which works fine: Agfa has good drivers / software and I think it works with (all?) their scanners. Works good for me though.

-Q-
Oct 2, 2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Appleman:

I have a Agfa scanner which works fine: Agfa has good drivers / software and I think it works with (all?) their scanners. Works good for me though.
I've heard very good things about the AGFA line. Unfortunately, they stopped selling their scanners in the US last year sometime...

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:

I've heard very good things about the AGFA line. Unfortunately, they stopped selling their scanners in the US last year sometime...
I didn't know that, strange.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:

They didn't stop them in the US, they stopped them.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

melanie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Appleman:

I have an Epson U640 and praise the Lord the day I was going to buy a canon just because it had osX drivers (scan to file was a pain because I wanted to go directly into photoshop and scan to file was not compatible to 10.2). I checked on the Apple site and lo and behold they posted the Epson twain for 10.2 and it works flawlessly with the photoshop7 plugin.
melanie

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2002, 11:07 AM

My Epson 1200u works fine. However, I will not recommend an Epson because I'm still steamed that they shafted me on my SP700 printer that I had to sell to a PC user.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by melanie:

I have an Epson U640 and praise the Lord the day I was going to buy a canon just because it had osX drivers (scan to file was a pain because I wanted to go directly into photoshop and scan to file was not compatible to 10.2). I checked on the Apple site and lo and behold they posted the Epson twain for 10.2 and it works flawlessly with the photoshop7 plugin.
Does this new twain driver work with older Epson USB scanners?
I have a 1000 (I think)I don't use it that much. I currently use that VueScan app when I need to but I would rather scan directly into Photoshop (whats this about a Epson Photoshop 7 plugin?) I am loathed to by a brand new scanner just because the Driver support has disappeared.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
They didn't stop them in the US, they stopped them.
You mean they were stopped by the US?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 02:08 PM

Someone said that ImageCapture.app have scanner support... Anyone tried it yet?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Someone said that ImageCapture.app have scanner support... Anyone tried it yet?
Haven't tried it, but shall do it later this evening and come back with the results

AmICHEETAH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 02:29 PM

VueScan rocked! =) dunno about speed. but hell it scans at least! =)

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 02:29 PM

my scanner epson 1650 is supported by image capture. it works great!!!

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 04:15 PM

I have a slimscan c6....not gonna be supported. Not to mention in os 9 scansuite's copy function never worked for me. Won't be buying anymore of their products.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2002, 05:00 PM

I have/had an X6 that I sold to my PC using brother-in-law because of OSX. No bother, though, I bought an Epson 1650 Photo to replace it. That is supported by Image Capture but not in transparency mode.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 06:16 PM

Is it just me, or is $40 a little pricey for the VueScan software? I've got this old LinoType Hell scanner that used to be great (scsi, no less). But I'm thinking for $40 bucks, I might as well save up for a day, and get that sexy little cannon scanner.

Maybe I shouldn't have subscribed to .Mac. Then I'd be able to afford VueScan. See how .Mac is really the source of all our problems. iSync is sure cool, though. Now I just got to get me an iPod. Dang. I actually think .Mac is really cool. Don't like the name too much, but what are you going to do?

What would *you* do in my situation?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2002, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

No, I meant that they aren't making consumer scanners any more, regardless of country.

Sorry, for the ambiguity. Me English no good.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2002, 08:56 PM

Here is the text of an e-mail exchange I had with Microtek back in February of 2001. I work in a lab where we scan a number of large transparencies (X-ray film). We use Macs and were planning on mingration to OS X as soon as it was released. The first e-mail is my inquiry to Microtek, the second their reply:

"To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 10:49 AM
Subject: Question before purchasing 8700

I am considering purchasing a Microtek 8700 for my business and have two
questions I need answered before completing the purchese:

1) Will the 8700 scan non-standard size transparencies. We scan X-ray film
that we cut down to size and it is not always a standard size. Must a
transparency fit into a film holder to be scanned in the 8700 (i.e. Must
it be 8x10 or 6cm by 9cm)?

2) We are a Macintosh shop and will be migrating to Mac OS X. What is
Microtek's plan for Mac OS X support? When will drivers be available?"

Their reply:

"The transparancy bed allows you to scan anything up to 8x10. If you are
using the the templates they come in 4 sizes, 4x5, 6x9, 35mm film or 35 mm
negative. Once OS X is released, drivers should be available within 2-3
weeks of its introduction.

Thank you for your interest in Microtek Products,

Microtek Lab, Inc.
Customer Service Dept.
www.microtekusa.com
1-800-654-4160
Technical Support Webpage: www.support.microtek.com"

Boycott Microtek? I think it's time to SUE Microtek? Any lawyers out there?
Don

asmujica
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2002, 11:21 PM

There is a consumer protection board in the states in which you can file a complaint online.

Do a google and you will surely find it.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 11:46 PM

microtek's scanner software was shite in OS9, what did you expect? Me, I'm currently saving up for a new scanner, my old SCSI microtek takes so long to scan a 300 dpi image that I can go take a crap, play some videogames, make dinner and its still not done the previewing...well I got a good couple of years out if it...

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 12:19 AM

I don't understand what you are talking about. Doesn't Microtek's website state that all scanners are supported since September 15?

AmICHEETAH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 06:18 AM

I don't understand what you are talking about. Doesn't Microtek's website state that all scanners are supported since September 15?
What I've seen is this:

http://www.microtekusa.com/macosx.html

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 07:31 AM

What country code is .nl? Seems they've forgotten to update that page. The drivers don't exist.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by chris v:

What country code is .nl? Seems they've forgotten to update that page. The drivers don't exist.
The US site is not working for me, but its google cache http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache...hl=de&ie=UTF-8 says it's available.

AmICHEETAH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 10:05 AM

WHERE to dl IMAGE CAPTURE!?

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2002, 10:30 AM

Image Capture is built into OS X. It's an apple capturing program that you can use for Digital Still cameras as well. It's been around since OS 9.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2002, 12:10 PM

The US site is not working for me, but its google cache http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache...e&ie=UTF-8</a> says it's available.
That only works with the 8700. The release dates for the 4700 & 5700 keeps getting pushed back.

Now, they've added a note to the 5700 page that says

OS X compatible!*

*with Siverfast software.

Silverfast is 65 bucks! Disingenuous advertising at its best.

CV

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 04:23 PM

and of course my X6 scanner is not even listed. Regardless of the reasoning, it was < 1 year old when OSX was released. It's been a paperweight (with a transparency adapter) for over a year.

I have already boycotted Microtek. I'm finished with them for a LONG time.

(.nl is Netherlands, home of http://www.gathering.nl)
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2002, 04:32 PM

ImageCapture is in the Applications folder; its icon resembles a camera (a Canon G1, I think).
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

AmICHEETAH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
ImageCapture is in the Applications folder; its icon resembles a camera (a Canon G1, I think).
Ok thx i found it. called "Bildinsamling" in Swedish OS! =)

/CHEETAH

FHuman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2002, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by AmICHEETAH:
Boycott MICROTEK!

Their support is awful! I want to be able to use my scanner in OS X! So I looked at their schedule for drivers to be released this spring. It said it was planned to the summer. Then they changed to October 1st. And now they've changed the date to December 1st!!!...

cheers
/CHEETAH

My (old) Microtek Scanmaker lll finally works with Vuescan. There is no twain support, so you can't scan from within Photoshop 7 (OSX 10.2.1) On http://www.twain.org the DSM of twain for OS 10.2.1 is available so developers can include the drivers in their software. Maybe Microtek knows this......?

Frank

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 04:49 PM

Does anyone knows how to make my canoscan n650u to work w/ jaguar?
Think Diferente!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2002, 07:40 PM

Think you're having trouble with Microtek scanners? Try using their PRINTERS! Ouch.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

macmike42
Senior User
Oct 5, 2002, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Think you're having trouble with Microtek scanners? Try using their PRINTERS! Ouch.
Well, that's funny.

But seriously, my X6 USB works fine with Classic. I got it for free, so I will never buy a Microtek product, if that makes you happy.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

clod
Senior User
Oct 5, 2002, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by jeronimo:
Does anyone knows how to make my canoscan n650u to work w/ jaguar?
Download VueScan from VersionTracker.com. It works with my N650U. You have to pay $40 for it though.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2002, 01:42 PM

We have a Microtek scanner which has died and is still under warranty. I sad on hold for 2 1/2 hours with Microtek and didn't get through. THen I sent a total of five messages to their tech support and get NO answer.

Microtek is now offically banned by the Biological Sciences Divison of the University of Chicago. Bad move cause we buy a LOT.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by macmike42:

Well, that's funny.

But seriously, my X6 USB works fine with Classic. I got it for free, so I will never buy a Microtek product, if that makes you happy.
That was no joke. I had to work with a ca. mid nineties Microtek laser printer. It was a ghastly experience.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2002, 12:21 AM

It's hard for me to fathom how a relatively large company can make a plethora of products for the consumer market, a big portion of which was touted to be Mac compatible, and fall so short of the mark in this area that it's almost like a bad joke. I mean, I had a ScanMaker 3600 (purchased about 2 years ago) that was supposed to be on the list of OS X native scanners, and it never happened either.
The idiotic salesperson at my local Apple dealer kept boasting Microtek's superiority in the Mac market and that I should definitely upgrade the previous Microtek scanner with a new one because of their strong support for OS X. I happened to notice that the only scanners that this store had in stock were Microteks...Microteks that weren't compatible with OS Xeither then or now!

Canon makes the LiDE 20 and 30 that claim to be OS X native (with Photoshop 7, of course)...anyone have one of those?

veritable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2003, 04:58 PM

Bump -

software for X now available...anyone trying?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 05:22 PM

I have a Slimscan C6. It works in classic but there are no X drivers planed. I'll never buy Microtek again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules