Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Seriously, what can Apple do to improve Mac OS X, in any form? A feedback campaign.

Seriously, what can Apple do to improve Mac OS X, in any form? A feedback campaign. (Page 2)
Terri
Senior User
Oct 6, 2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
System Prefs => General=> Appearance. Pick "Graphite" from the drop down menu.
Glad you don't do my color correction work. Graphite is far from neutral grey. Neutral gray does not have a blue cast to it. If you would like to see a neutral gray theme then boot into System 9 and take a look at Platinum.

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 6, 2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Terri:

Glad you don't do my color correction work. Graphite is far from neutral grey. Neutral gray does not have a blue cast to it. If you would like to see a neutral gray theme then boot into System 9 and take a look at Platinum.
Dude, I was being sarcastic.

I know what a neutral gray theme looks like. And it sucks that Stevie Boy doesn't want to let us have that option. He thinks Graphite is "good enough."

Terri
Senior User
Oct 6, 2002, 08:01 PM

Dude, I was being sarcastic.

I know what a neutral gray theme looks like.
Glad to hear that. Too bad Apple doesn't seem to know.

neccoant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2002, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Simon:

OK, here are my "most wanted" bug fixes:

AppleWorks: Need I say more? This app needs a huge overhaul and some good import/export filters to Office. It needs a major speed-up and it definately needs to be "aqua-fied" much more than the sloppy Carbon port it is now.
Amen. I'm sure they're working on it, though. It's been a year or so without even a 0.0.x update and no one has heard a peep about it (besides that rumored Windows port.) AppleWorks 6 was really just a proof-of-concept for Carbon, too (to show that it worked in 9 and X in the same package.)

I bet AW7 is a killer suite (or, has been killed to pacify MS...)

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2002, 12:28 AM

They can bring back some form of file synchronization utility. Damn them! It sucks to try and remember which items you've updated or not with two folders on two macs and then try to manually copy files!
I'm just about sick of all the shareware I have to search out, download and generally buy to get things done more expediently/conveniently.
Ok. Rant over.

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 7, 2002, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by nigeljedi:
They can bring back some form of file synchronization utility. Damn them! It sucks to try and remember which items you've updated or not with two folders on two macs and then try to manually copy files!
I'm just about sick of all the shareware I have to search out, download and generally buy to get things done more expediently/conveniently.
Ok. Rant over.
I do miss file sychronization, especially when trying to store backups in other folders.

AND NO IT'S NOT THE SAME AS iSYNC!!!

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 01:25 AM

I do miss file sychronization, especially when trying to store backups in other folders.

AND NO IT'S NOT THE SAME AS iSYNC!!!
I would think it would be pretty trivial for them to implement file syncing in iSync. Seems like a logical next step.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 01:42 AM

Wow. I thought this thread would get 10 posts and die. Glad it's working. Keep 'em coming. I'll prep a nice big e-mail for Apple feedback and send it at the end of this week. I'll send it a few times just in case.

Another thing that could improve OS X:

How 'bout some new hardware? The new hardware is great, but everyone knows it has its shortcomings. New super G4s (real DDR implementation that the G4 can take advantage of), new GPUL, whatever ... I'd like something new. I think we'll see it in January. But I also think Apple let things get really out of hand. None of that "their hands were tied" crap.

I'm surprised so many stuck with 'em. Then again, I'm not. We have OS X. I just made the full switch and I love it.

Don't start another GPUL war. Go to Power Mac discussion for that.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:

How 'bout some new hardware? The new hardware is great, but everyone knows it has its shortcomings. New super G4s (real DDR implementation that the G4 can take advantage of), new GPUL, whatever ... I'd like something new. I think we'll see it in January. But I also think Apple let things get really out of hand. None of that "their hands were tied" crap.

Don't start another GPUL war. Go to Power Mac discussion for that.
That is like asking the jaguar in the jungle to not eat the defenseless animals or for Bobby Trendy to not be gay.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

sadie
Senior User
Oct 7, 2002, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
68. The network settings should be stored in /Library/Preferences, not in /var/db. Ditto for the Energy Saver preferences and a lot of the other stuff in there.
YES!

Now that the great structure of the Libraries exists, we need to make better use of it. Tell me, somebody, are the libraries part of Darwin or not?
All words are lies. Including these ones.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2002, 08:36 AM

This is my 'wishlist' for Mac OS X:

1. In the finder just simply do this:

In the Finder Preferences have a radio button 'Use Column View/Single Window' and 'Use Icons and List View/Multi Window'. This IMHO will solve everything. In Column View there will be one default window size, and if you are in Icon/List mode you are simply working in an OS 9 finder.

2. In column view, make it so there are columns within columns! Like Name, Size, Kind etc.

3. Spring Loaded Dock. 'Nuff said.

4. iChat needs more features, netphone features, video conferencing, performance fixes and bug fixes.

5. Address Book needs more features and uses and performance and

6. Calculator needs performance and bug fixes.

7. No more brush metal. Banish it in all apps and the possibility of having it.

8. Rewritten and simplified QuickTime app. Make it instead of running a QuickTime Movie for QTV, just view the Hot Pix web site.

9. By typing CONTROL+Function Key make it do what other *nixes do, launch up a new console with a login prompt (obviously with the GUI).

10. Make it so you can manage users directly from the login window.app with an admin password. Also give the option to start a console by simply selecting a user 'Console'.

11. More speed and bug fixes.

12. More Aqua variations.

13. Just like SSH, have the ability to run a 'Quartz Server' which is launched by the sharing pane. You can then login to the Mac with the full GUI off any Mac connected to it. Similar to Remote Desktop except you are actually logging in to the Mac as a seperate user, not controlling the active user.

14. Oh, and a complete overhaul of Remote Desktop and INCLUDE IT with each copy of Mac OS.

That is all.
In vino veritas.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:

9. By typing CONTROL+Function Key make it do what other *nixes do, launch up a new console with a login prompt (obviously with the GUI).

13. Just like SSH, have the ability to run a 'Quartz Server' which is launched by the sharing pane. You can then login to the Mac with the full GUI off any Mac connected to it. Similar to Remote Desktop except you are actually logging in to the Mac as a seperate user, not controlling the active user.
YES!!!

This is exaclty what Apple should do. Pro stuff which Unix power users expect to find on a Unix box. But at the same time, stuff a new or unexperienced user doesn't see or has to worry about.

Please, please give us these two features Steve!
•

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by sadie:

YES!

Now that the great structure of the Libraries exists, we need to make better use of it. Tell me, somebody, are the libraries part of Darwin or not?
The /Library folder is just a folder. It would be trivial for Darwin, or anything else for that matter, to put things in a folder named Library.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

real
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2002, 02:35 PM

Just do it.
Apple
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2002, 03:38 PM

What I want to see:

1. Reliable copy/paste with the contextual menus. Depending on what app i'm in, i may not be able to copy. if i can copy, i may not be able to paste. this needs to be SYSTEM-WIDE for all text boxes and hilightable text.

2. More reliable drag and drop of text. This behaves differently depending on what app I am using. I realize this may not be apple's fault in all situations, but this really needs improvement. I loved using it in OS9.

-Ryan

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:

That is like asking the jaguar in the jungle to not eat the defenseless animals or for Bobby Trendy to not be gay.
Tame the jaguar and brainwash Bobby. Whatever it takes.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 05:01 PM

I would also like to see the contextual item "Clean Up" again in the Finder. That would be nice. And bring back the amount of items and size of items when deleting them from the trash -- that was very useful sometimes.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2002, 06:19 PM

The start up time got slow in Jag. The happymac, now Grey Apple screen
is what is slow, not the rest, that is actually faster.

Work on that please , some people do not want the comp on 24/7 to avoid this.

-Owl

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 07:10 PM

Terri I have Default Folder, but I still can't view by date, type, Label, and still can't see long file names. I basically hate the column view and find it useless for how I work. At least in the Finder you are not forced to use it.

I like Column view myself. The two big problems are not being able to sort within a column and it using the scroll bar in a less than effective fashion. I agree with you on the first problem. This really is a must. For the later I think that clicking to the right or left of the scroll bar ought to move one column. It doesn't, however. This means that moving up or down a directory is a royal pain. Now that I think about it, this is my #1 gripe with the Finder at the moment.

The other thing I'd like is some GUI on the window to turn preview on and off.

As you say though, the Open/Save dialog ought to have more functionality in this regard. Realistically I'd like to see many of Default Folder's features added to the dialog box. The changes to the column view are a must as well (and then include them in Open/Save)

SubZero Some FTP sites do not work properly through the finder.

Is Finder based FTP really supported? I know it is a capability, but I thought it was an undocumented feature. (I never have used it myself) Perhaps I am off, but I assume that people using FTP are Unix-savy and can use the terminal. When I spoke of using FTP, I meant the CLI.

As I mentioned, it is very easy to write scripts to automate FTP. Likewise most good web content creation programs have it integrated. (i.e. GoLive, my editor of choice)

SubZero I am talking having someone be able to use an app as another user without disturbing what's already open.

That is a great feature I didn't know was part of XP. That would be a fantastic feature. I wonder how hard it would be to implement?

Charles The feature to launch apps with the F-keys is still missing in Jaguar.

I'm not sure I'd want this standard. I think the F-keys should be left open for Macros or for Application use.

Sadie The network settings should be stored in /Library/Preferences, not in /var/db. Ditto for the Energy Saver preferences and a lot of the other stuff in there.

Good point - although admittedly a minor one that doesn't affect users.

undotwap No More brush metal. Banish it in all apps and the possibility of having it.

I disagree. I think that for Quicktime and iTunes it works great. I don't mind it in the Address Book either. (Although I agree that app needs a major increase in features) So long as it is used sparingly I don't mind brush metal.

MindFad I would also like to see the contextual item "Clean Up" again in the Finder.

Yes. I agree. Overall the contextual menu isn't well used in the Finder.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2002, 08:37 PM

Brush metal is inconsistent and frikkin annoying. All my Apple apps (except iTunes and QuickTime) I have hacked them with Interface Builder to remove the brush metal.

I really think that CONTROL+FUNCTION KEY is a must. You can then easily switch users on the fly while keeping them open. The ability is there, it's in Linux boxes all you need is to recompile the kernal with the support built in.

I think a Quartz SSH is needed because most apps use Quartz, and just a command line is limiting.

Complete account management in login window with a combination admin password is really a must. It's much easier to just manage everything in loginwindow so you don't have to login and out.

One button access to console, instead of having to type >console is a must in loginwindow. Makes things a lot easier.

In the console have a command 'StartQ' to start up Quartz.

Like in XWindows, be able to set the startup parameters of Quartz (choose whether to startup the Dock and or the Finder or just use a terminal window instead).
In vino veritas.

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 8, 2002, 12:37 AM

Is Finder based FTP really supported? I know it is a capability, but I thought it was an undocumented feature. (I never have used it myself)
Yup, you can connect with FTP through Connect to Server. Now uploading to certain FTP servers is another issue.

sadie
Senior User
Oct 8, 2002, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I would also like to see the contextual item "Clean Up" again in the Finder. That would be nice. And bring back the amount of items and size of items when deleting them from the trash -- that was very useful sometimes.
Something i always wanted to see:

Details pane on Empty trash: Not just summaries of file count/size, but also a little 'details' tab that you can open, showing you what the files actually are. It should look like the finder list view, only in an Empty Trash window.
All words are lies. Including these ones.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by sadie:

Something i always wanted to see:

Details pane on Empty trash: Not just summaries of file count/size, but also a little 'details' tab that you can open, showing you what the files actually are. It should look like the finder list view, only in an Empty Trash window.
Why not just open the trash to see???

But I do think 'Clean Up' is needed. Space each file out to the grid, which was handy.
In vino veritas.

teknologika
Oct 8, 2002, 07:56 AM

16. Console needs the ability to clear log files without the need to log in as root (Admin user access, in other words).
This would open up a security hole that would make it VERY easy for a hacker to cover their tracks without having to gain root (or Admin) access to do so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules