Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Something you can do in your country but not anywhere else.

Something you can do in your country but not anywhere else.
Sealobo
Jan 28, 2003, 02:55 AM

Tell me~!

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2003, 03:04 AM

collect unemployment

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 03:32 AM

make fun of/argue with the government, publicly.

Make fun of a specific person, like the president, again, in public.

Apparently you could call him "Hey george!" and not get in trouble.

In some countries this type of thing is illegal, not many, just a few.

If you go to england, for example, and yell something nasty about the queen in public, chances aren't good you'll be going back to your hotel/home that night.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 03:41 AM

Drink at the age of 19.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:

If you go to england, for example, and yell something nasty about the queen in public, chances aren't good you'll be going back to your hotel/home that night.

Rubbish. People can say anything they like about the queen - and frequently do. It's a free country, you know.

Edited to add: I can become a peer of the realm. Unlikely, I know, but possible.
( Last edited by Mastrap; Jan 28, 2003 at 04:16 AM. )

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 04:15 AM

All the things listed for the States we can do here in Australia.

Actually Australia is a horrible place - full of pollution and rude Aussies. The seas are oil slicks and the land is barren. If I lived overseas and know what I know I would never even *think* of coming to Australia for a holiday. Especially not Sydney. Tintub will back me up - Sydney is just bad news.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 04:24 AM

I really want to visit Down Under. The only thing keeping me back is your frickin mutant spiders.

I pose a question to the U.K. people: In the U.S, celebrities endorse political parties and agendas with limited affect on the outcome. What would happen if the Queen got in the middle of politics, and told people to vote for the Labor Party (or something)?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 04:46 AM

Germany:
Drink when you're 16
Drive as fast as you want on the Autobahn

I think these are two things you cannot do everywhere... at least the first is only allowed in Germany, nowhere else IIRC.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:

Actually Australia is a horrible place - full of pollution and rude Aussies. The seas are oil slicks and the land is barren. If I lived overseas and know what I know I would never even *think* of coming to Australia for a holiday. Especially not Sydney. Tintub will back me up - Sydney is just bad news.
sounds like you're enjoying yourself here in australia. question is, why are you still here?

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Germany:
Drink when you're 16

I think these are two things you cannot do everywhere... at least the first is only allowed in Germany, nowhere else IIRC.
The first is the same overhere in Belgium.

We can't drive as fast as we want on the highways though. ( 120 km/hour speed limit)

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 04:58 AM

Have a child, take a few months off my job while getting adequate financial compensation, then get my job back without a prob. Regardless of my gender; dad can stay home if mom wants to return to work earlier.

She might even be the president, an unlikely situation in surprisingly many 'modern' countries.

Have that child grow up in a society, where other individuals aren't divided into classes by fencing them into high- income/low- income neighboroughhoods. Though those neighborhoods exist, all schools (even universitites) are public, shared and free, which guarantees a social mix, in the good and in the bad.

All the while having a great view on the rest of the world, opened up by highly valued language education and the fact that most of the TV shows, music, web sites, movies, magazines and other people in the world are foreign.

Most of these things apply to most of the nordic countries, of course.

Oh, did I mention faster downloads from the US than inside the US itself (used to be a prob for local mirrors, when people from the US opted for faster downloads from here!)

J

[ok, so the weather sucks half the year and I was seriously considering Australia, but with all those oil slicks and rude people and dunny- based sanitation standards, I'm not so sure ]

Cipher13
Jan 28, 2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
I really want to visit Down Under. The only thing keeping me back is your frickin mutant spiders.

I pose a question to the U.K. people: In the U.S, celebrities endorse political parties and agendas with limited affect on the outcome. What would happen if the Queen got in the middle of politics, and told people to vote for the Labor Party (or something)?
What, these little things?

Aww... they're so cute!

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 05:41 AM

that big whooshing sound you just heard was sarcasm flying over fourstarcity's head - and you're Australian?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 05:56 AM

Celebrities do endorse political parties, but nobody cares.
The Queen can't and isn't alowed to get involved in the policical process, The Royal Family dosen't even have a vote.
After the election the winiing leader has to go the the Queen and ask if they can lead her government.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 06:48 AM

good idea for a thread!!!

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
make fun of/argue with the government, publicly.

Make fun of a specific person, like the president, again, in public.

Apparently you could call him "Hey george!" and not get in trouble.

In some countries this type of thing is illegal, not many, just a few.

you are talking out of your stinking unwiped ass here You can shout out whatever you like about the queen. I doubt anyone would give a sh*t.

Originally posted by
fourstarcltv:
sounds like you're enjoying yourself here in australia. question is, why are you still here?
??? he was being FUNNY ...

Germany:
Drink when you're 16

I think there are places without speed limits in the Northern Territory (Oz) - however, the roads aren't quite up to the standard of the German Autobahns.

Something you can do in Australia:

Go to a drive-through (a.k.a. 'thru') bottle shop (a.k.a. off licence, liquor store)

Something you can do in England:

Watch really good quality TV without constant advertisements interrupting you, and without signing up for cable/satellite etc.

Cipher13
Jan 28, 2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
I think there are places without speed limits in the Northern Territory (Oz) - however, the roads aren't quite up to the standard of the German Autobahns.
Roads?

That's what your average NT road looks like Except without all the greenery... hehe.

Originally posted by tintub:
Something you can do in Australia:

Go to a drive-through (a.k.a. 'thru') bottle shop (a.k.a. off licence, liquor store)
I love Australia...

gadster
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 07:12 AM

If tintub won't I will. You forgot the cockoaches, sunburn, crocs, snakes, killer jellyfish, shellfish and octopi. Not to mention the dropbears, bushfires, sharks and dingos (wild dogs). Oh, and all the Pommy tourists...

If you know what's good for you, stay away!
e-gads

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 07:37 AM

I seriously reckon that (hypothetically) it would have an effect on many people. But the monarchy would be abolished a week later if the Queen did something that stupid.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 07:54 AM

I can vote in the oldest democracy in the world.

I can vote for president in the country where the first female president was.

I can go to the next river and or spring and drink from it(without the fear of getting poisoned) except in the Reykjav�k area.

I can walk from America to Europe in a few seconds. That is the Eurasian intercontinental shell to the American.

I can in one hour get to the point where the oldest democracy in the world had its meetings, aka Althingi.

I'll let that do for now

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 10:02 AM

I can say "I am currently in the United States of America." Try that in Britain.

Seriously, that was the first thing I thought of. How about...only here can I visit our national Air and Space Museum and see a spacecraft that carried men to the moon and back?

--Josh

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jan 28, 2003, 10:05 AM

Own guns. Which is a good thing.

Sealobo  (op)
Jan 28, 2003, 10:11 AM

I ate an owl in China few years ago.

OreoCookie
Jan 28, 2003, 10:28 AM

1. Drink beer when 16.
2. Speak freely.
3. Don't have to wait for surgery.
4. Study without paying off my education for a third of my life.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 10:32 AM

Sue McDonald's because I'm fat and thought their food was healthy.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 10:56 AM

I can't feel at home in any other country.

That's about it. You can pretty much do the same things in all European countries.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Montezuma58:
Own guns. Which is a good thing.
There aren't that many places where you can NOT own guns. Hunting and recreational handgun shooting, or sports, are quite popular in many places outside New Mongolia.

J

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 11:17 AM

Visit the beauty of Glacier, Yellowstone and Teton National Parks.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 28, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
I can go to the next river and or spring and drink from it(without the fear of getting poisoned) except in the Reykjav�k area.

Heh, excepts don't count I am afraid

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
Sue McDonald's because I'm fat and thought their food was healthy.
Uh yeah, that _IS_ a good thing to do
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 03:26 PM

What would happen if the Queen got in the middle of politics, and told people to vote for the Labor Party (or something)?
There would be an outcry in parliament and in certain parts of the press because, as Mediaman said, she's not allowed to directly influence the political process. But in general, the average person in the street wouldnt give a toss. As far as I can tell, apart from some people over 60, and visiting American tourists, pretty much everyone in Britain finds the royal family to be completely irrelevant.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 03:30 PM

We can smoke at 16, but it's illegel to give or buy cigarettes to anyone under 19.

Vanquish
Jan 28, 2003, 03:37 PM

We can:

-have the best education around
-drink at 16 (ah well everybody does it when they are WAY younger we can even buy it !)
-smoke weed
-have the best beer in the world (Duvel) in enourmous quantities

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 04:09 PM

Find poutine at a lot of fast food places.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 04:34 PM

Start an initiative on any law in the country and if enough people sign up and vote for it, it becomes law. i.e. I can make a difference. (Very illusory though, most initiatives don't go through)
weird wabbit

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 04:45 PM

You can ski down a mountain then go surfing all in the space of fifteen minutes.

24 hours a day, 7 days a week beer outlets.

Drive through snow in a desert.

Go to a beautiful beach in the middle of summer - and be the only person there.

Ahhhh....New Zealand. Lonely Planets #1 place to go for 2003.

Oh, and no spiders, snakes or dumb aussies like Australia has.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 04:51 PM

Oh yeah I forgot that, legal age for smoking is 16 in Germany. So basically, you can legally get drunk while smoking when you're 16, which makes it kinda boring

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 05:03 PM

New Zealand's biggest mistake is that they pulled out of joining the Commonwealth of Australia just before January 1901. And now the NZ government wants the two countries to 'join' together. Somehow I don't think that'll ever happen.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by andymcdeee:
You can ski down a mountain then go surfing all in the space of fifteen minutes.
Where's that then? God you'd have to ski fast at Whakapapa to hit Raglan in 15 minutes.

Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 10:30 PM

Montana doesn't have a daytime speed limit in rural areas (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by sealobo:
I ate an owl in China few years ago.
You bastard!

-Owl

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 28, 2003, 10:42 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 4, 2004 at 11:28 AM. )

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2003, 11:14 PM

New Zealand's biggest mistake is that they pulled out of joining the Commonwealth of Australia just before January 1901. And now the NZ government wants the two countries to 'join' together.
I happen to disagree with you on both counts.

We like our country just the way it is.

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Jan 28, 2003, 11:34 PM

Drive for 7 straight hours and see nothing but corn fields!
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Jan 28, 2003, 11:34 PM

Oh yea, and still be in the same state!
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Cipher13
Jan 28, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by andymcdeee:

24 hours a day, 7 days a week beer outlets.

Drive through snow in a desert.

Go to a beautiful beach in the middle of summer - and be the only person there.

Ahhhh....New Zealand. Lonely Planets #1 place to go for 2003.

Oh, and no spiders, snakes or dumb aussies like Australia has.
And plenty of sheep. Don't forget the sheep.

New Zealand's biggest mistake is that they pulled out of joining the Commonwealth of Australia just before January 1901. And now the NZ government wants the two countries to 'join' together. Somehow I don't think that'll ever happen.
They do? Hahaha - like we'd ever let THAT happen!

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2003, 11:51 PM

Be deeply ashamed of the current state of things around the world.
iGeek

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 12:08 AM

Sorry! Double post.
( Last edited by mac-at-kearsarge; Jan 29, 2003 at 12:14 AM. )
iGeek

Sealobo  (op)
Jan 29, 2003, 12:11 AM

Watch school campus gun shooting event on TV, reported from the other side of the planet.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 04:15 AM

Germany:
Drink when you're 16

What do you mean? People under 16 drink all of the time over here in the U.S.!

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 09:35 AM

- Attend Toronto Maple Leaf home games.

- Enjoy the many benefits of life in the true north strong and free!</waxing patriotic>

Forum Links
Forum Rules