Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" PowerBook HINGE: What's wrong with it?

15" PowerBook HINGE: What's wrong with it?
abundrefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2003, 05:07 PM

When people ask if they should buy the Titanium 15" PowerBooks still available (now for a lower price at www.apple.com) or wait till the new 15"is released, many answers mention something about the Titanium 15" PowerBooks HINGE being NO GOOD.

WHY?

What's wrong with it?

Thanks.
Andre.
Playing the groove is like driving a fancy car: you drive slowly so all the people can check you out. - Wynton Marsalis.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2003, 05:09 PM

Works fine for me.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 05:13 PM

The hinges are fine.

The only time the hinges are in jeopardy is when they're too tight and that's not often.

If a hinge snaps then Apple fixes it. I had two hinges snap on the same Powerbook, one right after another, and Apple sent me a brand new upgraded Powerbook. That was over a year ago, when the 550Mhz systems were first released. I got an upgraded 667Mhz with a combo drive out of it.

How time flies, eh?

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2003, 10:20 PM

Mine works perfectly. And it even leaves room for ports on the back

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2003, 12:54 AM

Ditto, works fine. Never had a problem with either of my TiBooks.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 01:25 AM

Both hinges broke on my 15"; and I was very loving to it. Apple wanted $1300 for the repair since it was out of warranty. Two friends had similar problems. This problem apparently doesn't affect all 15" users (thank God), but it affects enough of them to consider when buying a PowerBook, enough to warrant caution. If your okay with rolling the dice, then go for it.

I really did like my TiBook, but I would never buy that design again. Ever.
( Last edited by wanderlust; Jun 10, 2003 at 02:47 AM. )

Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by wanderlust:
This problem apparently doesn't affect all 15" users (thank God), but it affects enough of them to consider when buying a PowerBook, enough to warrant caution. If your okay with rolling the dice, then go for it.

I really did like my TiBook, but I would never buy that design again. Ever.
Agree, agree!! I wouldn't buy another Ti designed hinge laptop again.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 06:32 AM

I haven't had a problem with mine at all - it seems as though the latest ones have had their hinges "tweaked" to make sure that they don't snap! Or thats how it appears to be

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 07:06 AM

Rather than another testimony, I'll simply observe that many prefer the internal hinge of the newest PowerBooks, as it is sturdier than the older hinge.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Rather than another testimony, I'll simply observe that many prefer the internal hinge of the newest PowerBooks, as it is sturdier than the older hinge.
Word.

I prefer the way the new PBs hinge works too. I've got a friend's 15" next to mine and the 12" just feels sturdier. Having said that the 15" is a wonderful machine with most of its annoying little habits removed after years of being in production.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 07:45 AM

I remember someone posting here about how their friend tried to open their Powerbook screen up to 180 degrees (flat open) and of course, the hinges and the system aren't meant to do that, so of course the hinges snapped.

I happen to believe that that reason is why a lot of hinges snap, to be honest, whether people admit it or not.

In my case one hinge snapped completely off at the bottom of the LCD and when I called Apple the guy told me to "open and shut the system again" and when I did the other one snapped from the torque on only one side.

Anyway, the hinges are fine. People will always find something to criticize.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Anyway, the hinges are fine. People will always find something to criticize.
I don't think it would be fair to state that everyone's broken TiBook hinges have been caused by trying to open them 180 degrees. I know mine wasn't, and the two folks I know who had the same problem didn't. We couldn't have been the only three. And frankly, I don't know of any other laptop design, Apple or otherwise, that had so many reports of broken hinges. Again, I did love my TiBook...but look at those frail little things holding up that beautiful screen. They just look dainty. And, unfortunately, they are. Quite. I stand by my statement.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2003, 01:23 AM

Sorry, I have trouble believing this. I own 3 TiBooks, have 3 friends with them, and neither is "dainty". I also can't imagine simple opening and closing to cause the hinges to break. I'm not saying it can't be true, just hard for me to believe.

Originally posted by wanderlust:
I don't think it would be fair to state that everyone's broken TiBook hinges have been caused by trying to open them 180 degrees. I know mine wasn't, and the two folks I know who had the same problem didn't. We couldn't have been the only three. And frankly, I don't know of any other laptop design, Apple or otherwise, that had so many reports of broken hinges. Again, I did love my TiBook...but look at those frail little things holding up that beautiful screen. They just look dainty. And, unfortunately, they are. Quite. I stand by my statement.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
Sorry, I have trouble believing this. I own 3 TiBooks, have 3 friends with them, and neither is "dainty". I also can't imagine simple opening and closing to cause the hinges to break. I'm not saying it can't be true, just hard for me to believe.
Yes, I understand. I would have a hard time believing it as well, if it hadn't happened to us.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2003, 10:26 AM

I bought one of the new gigabooks on release day in November. I babied it well, and still in Febuary one of the hinges snapped. I've never opened the screen past ~100-110 degrees, and the hinge actually snapped just as I was opening it. The hinges are tight.

Apple replaced the hinge but even so the hinges are very tight. I bought the adjustment tool from radtech and adjusted them so they work more smoothly. However, over a couple of months they tightened again. I now re-adjust them every couple of months to ensure a smooth working screen.

I prefer having the ports at the back, but think that the hinge could be better designed, which they now have. Mind you, I just love the form factor of the 15", I think it's the best in the line up.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Forum Links
Forum Rules