Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about purchasing a Dell UltraSharp 1704FPT 17-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor

Question about purchasing a Dell UltraSharp 1704FPT 17-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor
Piano and TV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 06:49 PM

Hi all. I recently got my iBook and wanted to hook it up to an external monitor... I was wondering if this monitor is 100% compatible with the VGA Adapter that comes with the iBook. I'm pretty sure that it is but I'd like to have some reassurance. If it is not, can anyone recommend any that I should be looking into? Dell has theirs at good prices and I love the way they look, which is why I chose that one... Any help is appreciated.

irus
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2005, 07:14 PM

Dell UltraSharp 1704FPT will work with iBook just fine. Keep in mind that LCDs perform best in native resolution, which is 1280x1024 for that monitor.

However, DELL UltraSharp series of monitors, along with some Samsung and Benq models have a tendency to produce a very faint white shadow to the right of black letters when on gray background.

Piano and TV  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 02:27 AM

well, which do you recommend that will perform best in 1024x768? and that wont give that white shadow to the right of black letters?

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2005, 04:17 AM

wait.. what is considered working at best? the color profiling? refresh rate??

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Piano and TV
well, which do you recommend that will perform best in 1024x768? and that wont give that white shadow to the right of black letters?
Why not use the hack and run the display at native resolution?

My iBook G4 drives my 18" Viewsonic LCD at 1280x1024 very nicely.

Piano and TV  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 12:50 PM

Call me ignorant but.. how do you go about performing the hack I'm relatively new to the Mac world.. I also heard it was risky to do and could possibly screw up your Mac...

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2005, 12:58 PM

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Not sure about the level of risk, but I did it on my iBook about a week or so after I got it and there was no issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules