Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G3: Losing Time?

iMac G3: Losing Time?
Annorax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 09:30 PM

I have a G3 iMac running OS 8.6 that I have hooked up to a surge protector. I usually turn the protector off since I have many other devices hooked up to it and I like to keep the power off.

However, whenever the Mac's power is turned off and the protector is off, the time changes to another (wrong) time. While it's on, there's no time problems. I have to manually adjust the time, even though it's set to do it automatically.

Why does it do this and why won't it automatically update? Thanks for any help.
Bondi Blue iMac G3 266Mhz

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2006, 04:14 PM

you need to change the internal battery, mine died after a few years as well.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2006, 06:54 PM

See page 14 of this manual

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 07:20 PM

Yes, it's the battery, my iMac had the same problem.

My Two Cents:

Be careful of the power switch assembly. I broke mine (allthough that was an OS 9/DV Machine, though I imagine it's similar). I had to use a paperclip to turn it on for a year - until I finally replaced it with a MBP. If it's the same, there's a plastic piece and a spring behind the actual plastic button, the plastic piece is VERY fragile, so just be careful to not put much pressure on it .

This of course assumes you have to take the machine partially apart as I did (If I remember right, I replaced my hard drive and battery at the same time, so I know I had to take it apart for that). If you don't please disregard this post.

Cheers.

Annorax  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. I installed a stick of RAM in this machine, so the battery shouldn't be too bad.

Where can I find a replacement? And why won't the time update automatically since I tell it to?
Bondi Blue iMac G3 266Mhz

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 07:53 PM

I took the old battery to Radio Shack, and they had a replacemaent in stock. Not sure if you can get it cheaper, though.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 07:55 PM

btw, I just noticed your model is a bit older than mine (a 400mhz DV), so I'm not certain of the power button thing. Still, be careful, looking for a paperclip every time the power went out wasn't exactly fun. (Nor was putting a hot paperclip through the plastic button - I still shudder everytime I think about that).

Geezus_Aach
Apr 11, 2006, 11:38 PM

hey guys!

on my old skool imac 400dv right now! still working great, see my sig below for my specs

...but recently, ive been eyeing that new mini....or an imac. hmmmmm........
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

Forum Links
Forum Rules