Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 Maxed out iMac 24" or 1 3ghz Macpro

2 Maxed out iMac 24" or 1 3ghz Macpro
dankar
Sep 18, 2006, 10:40 PM

Planning to upgrade my office computers, my budget permits me to either purchase two sets of iMac 24' fully maxed out, or a semi-maxed out 3ghz Macpro. Currently, have a Dual 2ghz G5, iMac Swivel screen type (G4 800mhz) and a dual 533mhz g4 mac. Keeping the Dual G5. Mostly graphic works and post raw processing. My current dual G5 with 5 gb ram, seems slower nowadays or could be just equipment lust.

What would you guys suggest?

Baburao786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 10:49 PM

well if you are doing graphics work with the Adobe Creative Suits then you may run into some latency with running the software under rosetta...However, I am pretty sure Adobe will release a new version that would work well with the new Macs. (you'll see similar postings on latency with running photoshop under the new Macs)...but that set aside if you want to overlook that then definitely a Mac PRO over an Imac....the MAC Pro has been designed with the professional in mind...it offers a faster processor than the Imac ...and 2 of them in the same beast.....so if it were my opinion then it would be the Mac Pro.

dankar  (op)
Sep 18, 2006, 10:57 PM

Baburao, thanks, the latency is only temporary until Adobe comes out with CS3. Thinking about the Macpro, may go down that route, wondering when OSX 11 out? Would save a bit, if the machine was purchased with the OS installed. Hope to be able to stretch the budget enough for a pairs of 30" screens instead of 23"s.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 12:04 AM

OS X 10.5 Leopard has a currently set release date of Spring 2007.
Linkinus is king.

Baburao786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 12:29 AM

No problem....yepp Leopard is set to release in spring.....as far as the 23" Apple Monitors...I have noticed a bunch of people on Amazon saying that they see some sort of a pinkish color on the screen...I don't have a 23" monitor from apple but all the ones that I have come across at the apple store never had that problem...Maybe the problem is fixed..but just wanted to give you a heads up to be a little cautious about it...Personally I think the Apple Cinema Displays are off the chain but DEFINITELY NOT 800-900 bucks off the chain...there is a BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "need it" or "want it"...

Baburao786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 12:32 AM

with 800-900 dollars you can definitely get a much better monitor than the apple 23"...
what irks me is that when people say how well the apple monitor blends in with my power mac or mac pro...geez give me a freaking break...did you buy the monitor just so it looks good or for its performance....don't get me wrong I am a big apple fan.....the 30" obviously will provide you with a lot of real estate on the screen but then it goes back to the question...DO YOU "NEED IT" OR DO YOU "WANT IT"

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 12:34 AM

Well, when it comes to the Mac Pro, at least for me, it's all want, and not much need .
Linkinus is king.

dankar  (op)
Sep 19, 2006, 12:38 AM

Good Question, I guess a bit of both, I could be quite contented with 23", a having both 23" monitors that, allow for a better work flow as compared to my single 17" now. Having the 30" pairs at this point would be more of a want than need

The 30"s would be great as an office partition...

Baburao786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 12:50 AM

thats what APPLE does..hehe...they make products that lure customers into "wanting" it and not "needing" it...hahaha...I smell a lawsuit coming similar to the ones MacDonald's had a year back about how their food makes us fat?...hahahaha

Baburao786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 12:53 AM

XYZ Vs. Apple Corp
- apple made me buy their products and I didn't even need it =)...and now I am a few thousand dollars short in my bank..hahaha j/k

dankar  (op)
Sep 19, 2006, 12:54 AM

In Apple's case, it makes us thin, broke and unable to feed ourselves...

But you got to admit, they make good stuff. :O

Baburao786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 01:02 AM

yepp thats true...if I only wish I had a million dollars...i'd go buy me an apple store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules