Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Open GL 1.x.x problems!

Open GL 1.x.x problems!
mrl14
Nov 25, 1999, 05:08 PM

I'm running a Powerbook g3, rev A. where you can't change resolutions and when i run any game requiring OpenGL the game either crashes or it moves frame by frame extremely slow.

The only way to play the game is to use software rendering which for the new games isn't always the best. Also games like descent, unreal tournament and rainbow 6 demos don't seem to allow anything but open GL.

any suggestions?
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 1999, 09:48 PM

I'm not positive, but your problem might be that you don't have a powerful enough graphics accelerator, or you don't have enough video memory....or maybe even both. Go into the Apple System Profiler and see if you have a Rage II or Rage IIc graphics card....those cards aren't really very good and might not support OpenGL right.
-Blakhawkg3

mrl14  (op)
Nov 26, 1999, 12:33 AM

I'm on running on the rev a pbs. Umm I believe they are the lowest Rage card. RageII Lite even. It doesn't say the exact card name in the ASP but I am stuck on 1 resolution.

Anyways i'm hoping that you're wrong heh because it would really kill me if I can't run these games because they are only OpenGL.

I am able however to run Quake using the Rage card at decent speeds so maybe that'll help u.

thanks for your reply

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 1999, 03:59 AM

I beleive you need at least a Rage Pro to run opengl.

------------------
-See Yea!

Pais
Nov 26, 1999, 05:12 AM

The reason that the PowerBook G3 can't change from its default resolution isn't tied to the graphics chipset, but rather its LCD display.

It doesn't really matter, because the first PowerBook G3's don't have the Rage Pro or 128 chipsets required to run OpenGL.

The reason that Quake works in 3D acceleration is that it doesn't use an OpenGL implementation; it uses its own QuickDraw 3D RAVE engine.

Basically, on the older Rage II chipsets, the software must either support QuickDraw 3D RAVE rendering, or you're not going to see hardware acceleration.

mrl14  (op)
Nov 26, 1999, 05:02 PM

So you're telling me thatI cannot run OpenGL?

That really annoys me!

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 1999, 12:28 PM

Yea, no openGL for you! End of the line!

-Soup Nazi

------------------
-See Yea!

mrl14  (op)
Nov 27, 1999, 12:50 PM

THATS RIDICULOUS!!

would getting an ATI PCMCIA card and attaching another monitor do anything? Or if they ever make a graphics card for the pc slow would that work?

Anyone wanna buy my mac ;p!

Forum Links
Forum Rules