Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is anyone else tired of waiting?

Is anyone else tired of waiting?
doyle2k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2012, 03:52 PM

I don't mind the secrecy of new releases, but am starting to getting exhausted with the lack of info about new models.
Anybody else have an ominous feeling that the new macbooks are going to be just refreshes, with no new great innovation?
Just curious if anyone else was growing tired.

Philip

cgc
Professional Poster
May 8, 2012, 06:33 PM

I think people may be more interested in a new MacPro update...but Apple's making a lot more sales in laptops. They will update to Ivy Bridge but doubt much else. What do you want in the next update?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2012, 07:07 PM

Isn't there a pretty big hype about the new MacBooks Pro going Air-style?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 8, 2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by doyle2k View Post
Nope. All Mac laptops are currently excellent. Sandy Bridge answered my wish list so I bought a 17" MBP a year ago.

Anybody else have an ominous feeling that the new macbooks are going to be just refreshes, with no new great innovation?
Perhaps, but IMO they are close to ideal right now so I do not see anything that I personally crave. Just the consequences of the latest available CPUs/GPUs would be fine IMO. And of course good value entry SSD choices. IMO SSDs for boot are mandatory.

What I expect is slimming of the case design and the actual reduction of some features along with size/weight. So slimmer/prettier and more power per pound, of course with USB 3 (meh).

I just hope that when Apple does redesign cases it does not compromise maximum DTR versatility at the high end. Currently replacing the optical drive allows SSD + HDD in Mac Pros. Folks like me do that even though it does void the warranty.

I really hope that one way or another the ability to have two internal drives remains a possibility in top MBPs. Hopefully via third party not just via Apple, because we all know how bad Apple pricing can be on RAM and drive upgrades.

-Allen

ibook_steve
May 9, 2012, 02:42 AM

I don't mind the secrecy of new releases, but am starting to getting exhausted with the lack of info about new models.

Philip
Welcome to the world of Apple rumor mongering! By "lack of info", I'm not sure if you mean lack of info from Apple (which is obvious) or lack of info in the form of rumors.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2012, 05:45 PM

I actually know what the new MacBook Pros will be looking like, but I'm not allowed to tell

All I can say is.... there is *definitely* new and great innovation. I cannot WAIT to get my hands on one of my own.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

ibook_steve
May 10, 2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bluebomber21XX View Post
I actually know what the new MacBook Pros will be looking like, but I'm not allowed to tell

All I can say is.... there is *definitely* new and great innovation. I cannot WAIT to get my hands on one of my own.
OK, so either you work for Apple or you are in the supply or shipping chain somewhere. You say you're in Livermore so I'm not sure.

Steve

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2012, 06:29 PM

He can't work for Apple directly, since he wouldn't be allowed to post here, if he were.

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 10, 2012, 10:03 PM

Are they seriously tracking IP and cross-checking them against ISP with the help of a court warrant?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2012, 10:40 PM

If Steve was in charge of leaker management, he'd give you a ticket to Liverless.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2012, 03:27 AM

I am not confirming or denying anything

P
May 11, 2012, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Are they seriously tracking IP and cross-checking them against ISP with the help of a court warrant?
Not unless they have to, no, but it is still a rule, and if they should find out by accident that it has been broken, they would be within their rights to fire someone.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2012, 03:48 AM

^ BTW, don't get your panties in a wad; no one told me anything, so no NDA was broken. I'm not going to say anything more.

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 11, 2012, 06:45 AM

Is it even legal to restrict employee that much? Enforcing DNA is one thing, but controlling where their employee go (in real life or online) is another.. there should be no harm in joining a site if you don't disclose anything.. it would be like banning Paramount's employee to enter a cinema..

P
May 11, 2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Is it even legal to restrict employee that much? Enforcing DNA is one thing, but controlling where their employee go (in real life or online) is another.. there should be no harm in joining a site if you don't disclose anything.. it would be like banning Paramount's employee to enter a cinema..
Enforce DNA? So you can't be a retrovirus and work for Apple? Horrible!

I don't know if it's legal. I know that this is their policy, and it's one that's easy enough to follow. To be clear, we don't try to enforce any of Apple's rules - that's between Apple and their employees.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ibook_steve
May 11, 2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
He can't work for Apple directly, since he wouldn't be allowed to post here, if he were.
I posted when I was working at Apple. I just never told you all any secrets! Though Apple 2000-2005 was certainly a different beast from Apple 2012 post-[iPhone 4 left in a bar]-gate.

Steve

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2012, 01:39 PM

More rumours and mockup.

Apple is putting the finishing touches on an entirely new 15-inch MacBook Pro that is the outcome of years of research and development in ultra-thin mobile computing and super-high-resolution displays. According to trusted sources in Apple’s supply chain, who have handled prototype components and casings for the new Apple notebook, the computer is currently undergoing test production rounds. The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is coming this summer, and it features an ultra-thin design, a “jaw-dropping” Retina Display, and super-fast USB 3.

The revamped design: While many have speculated that the new 15-inch MacBook Pro will pickup the design from the late-2010/mid-2011 MacBook Air, sources familiar with the prototype units say that this is untrue. Instead, the new 15-inch MacBook Pro is described as being an ultra-thin version of the current MacBook Pro. Basically, the prototype design is a thinner, yet more robust, version of the late-2008 design. It has no tapering like the MacBook Airs. This new design serves as an apparent solution to Apple’s hinge troubles with the cancelled ultra-thin 15-inch notebook for late 2010.

As for USB 3.0:

Forum Links
Forum Rules