Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this legal?

Is this legal?
KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2002, 11:07 PM

<a href="http://www.aqua-soft.org/" target="_blank">http://www.aqua-soft.org/</a>

got the link somewhere off a link on ResExcellence. Just wondering is all

Gator Lager
Senior User
Jul 7, 2002, 11:45 PM

wow. I wonder why they just don't buy a mac? Never mind I know the answer
check this one out. from the same page. email forum
<a href="http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.asp?authorid=204937" target="_blank">http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.asp?authorid=204937</a>

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jul 8, 2002, 12:09 AM

I don't know if it's legal but it sure is stupid. Sure they may be able to mimic the look of OSX, but when they go open-up MS word it's gonna still have the "normal" windows for windows.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2002, 12:27 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
I don't know if it's legal but it sure is stupid. Sure they may be able to mimic the look of OSX, but when they go open-up MS word it's gonna still have the "normal" windows for windows.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Actually, it changes the OS as a whole, apps included. The only thing that doesn't change are apps that have their own GUI components.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2002, 12:34 AM

Probably should be, but probably isn't. Get it while you can, because Apple's going to smack them down hard when they find out about this.

DISCLAIMER: I won't be the one telling them.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2002, 12:36 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by starman:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Actually, it changes the OS as a whole, apps included. The only thing that doesn't change are apps that have their own GUI components.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well, yeah, but that includes Word. Microsoft has this long history of not actually using the GUI components that they provide everyone else in Windows. It's another way they provide the illusion of being "better".
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 12:37 AM

yeah, Apple's lawyers will shut those people down soon enough. Other sites/people have done similar things in the past, and they've always been beat down.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 12:42 AM

This was posted a while back in one of the X forums here. Obviously, they're still around and haven't been shut down by Apple.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2002, 12:50 AM

There's nothing criminal about it - it's up to Apple to sue them for trademark infringement. The usual legal standard in a trademark case is "likelihood of confusion", i.e. could a consumer mistake this for an Apple product (remember the E-machine that looked like an iMac?), thereby depriving Apple of the fruits of its labors. My guess is that a judge would say "Yes", and I would agree. If Microsoft had done this, it would be a clear infringement. The fact that these guys are unknown and claim to be trying to direct people towards Macs is irrelevant.

My guess is that these guys want Apple to buy them out or license their product, and they couldn't get in through the front door, so they're trying to force Apple's hand by going public. They might be figuring that if Apple tries to shut them down cold, it'll make Apple look bad. It'll be interesting to see what Apple does.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2002, 12:52 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by ReggieX:
<strong>This was posted a while back in one of the X forums here. Obviously, they're still around and haven't been shut down by Apple.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">they're fortunate, then. I guess they haven't attracted attention. however, in the past the sites hosting os x themes for windows have been gunned down by Apple.

Timan
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2002, 12:12 PM

Aqua-Soft has been around for 2+ years now and it has been big in the past but things have calmed down. Apple has not contacted us once. And all these progs do is mimic the Aqua ui for windows. but this doesnt theme your whole OS just hte apps we've made. We do not take credit for this aqua ui or anything like that in that nature.

BTW i'm a member of aqua-soft and dont go saying buy a mac cause i own one!

<small>[ 07-08-2002, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Timan ]</small>
- Tim

Forum Links
Forum Rules