Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just bought a T610...any thoughts/rebukes/suggestions?

Just bought a T610...any thoughts/rebukes/suggestions?
DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 03:08 AM

Amazon is doing a $150 back, T-Mobile is doing a $100 back, so I basically get a free phone and a couple months of free service. Seems like the t610 is a pretty mac friendly phone. I have an ibook with bluetooth, so I'm looking forward to using the sailing clicker software.

If anyone knows of any hacks, cool stuff you can do, or whatever, I'd like to hear it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2004, 05:08 AM

Hehehe, I just bout a T102. Apparently here in China it's actually possible to buy phones that aren't overly featured. All this phone has is calls and a couple games. No camera, no color screen, no crap that I don't want.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 05:10 AM

T616 is the best phone I've ever used.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 06:54 AM

there are some incredibly cool os x like themes out there.

get "phoneagent" (management software) and "salling clicker" (lets you use your cellphone as a remote control for your mac).

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
T616 is the best phone I've ever used.
I'll second that. I've have a t610 (t610=t616, just different countries?) since a couple of weeks after they were released. Best phone I've ever had. My one complaint is that when I iSync to my Mac it deletes past calendar events from my phone. I'd rather it didn't do that. Other than that, excellent.
tin pot, garden shed

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by OB1:
I'll second that. I've have a t610 (t610=t616, just different countries?) since a couple of weeks after they were released. Best phone I've ever had. My one complaint is that when I iSync to my Mac it deletes past calendar events from my phone. I'd rather it didn't do that. Other than that, excellent.

Usually I love my t610, but on a recent trip to West Palm Beach, FL, I couldn't get a signal to save my life. I've used other T-Mobile phone there without a problem, but the T610 was unuseable.

The only knock that I have heard on the phone is that the reception is poor.

Maquero
Jul 18, 2004, 10:50 AM

the only thing I dislike about it is the fact that is very hard to read the screen under sunlight.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 11:13 AM

i agree, the screen is rather dim under sunlight, but i have survived.

the looks you get when you take out your cellphone and control keynote are worth it.
seriously, it's a great phone. i like how the bluetooth works very well with my powerbook, the battery life is not bad in the least, with bluetooth on a lot of the time.

the camera? honestly, i could not care less, i think it is pointless. the quality is bad, and i have never sent a picture message.

salling clicker is great like i said. i use vlc, itunes, and keynote controller a lot.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 11:21 AM

my wife & both have a 610, love the size. Reception is poor here too, thats because the T in T moblie is for "tiny'! thats what a verizon salesman said to me, I walked away from the freak.

photos arent great, thats my biggest complaint. My student has this cingular phone that takes incredible photos! Oh well. have fun and good luck with it!!

Now I just need bluetooth.....

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 12:01 PM

You could put an OS X theme on it

I've got a theme I made for the T610 which is almost a perfect match. Email me if you'd like it

Anyway, awesome phone.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 01:44 PM

I love my T610.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 01:54 PM

Just got a t637, and absolutely love it. If you guys haven't checked out Salling Clicker for X, do it IMMEDIATELY. Controlling iTunes, keynote and iPhoto slideshows is sweet.

DeathMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 08:52 PM

yeah, it would be cool to be able to watch movies (video out) form it, and not have to get up to pause, change volume or whatever.

I'm looking forward to getting my new kit. It'll be nice to be able to surf the internet at the park or somewhere, or look find directions on a road trip.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 09:39 PM

What's the SE phone that matches the ibook and ipod nicely? Can't seem to find it, once I get my new ibook in. (With Bluetooth) I'd like to pick up a matching phone.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 09:46 PM

The white T630/63x is what you are probably referring to. Cingular/ATT sell the black (AFAIK).

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
The white T630/63x is what you are probably referring to. Cingular/ATT sell the black (AFAIK).
Bingo! After a few minutes of searching I found it. I was going to go T610 with a 12" PB, aluminum iPod Mini, but I'm going to go ibook, T630, and regular ipod. Here's hoping the cram and jam promo works for the new ipods!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Bingo! After a few minutes of searching I found it. I was going to go T610 with a 12" PB, aluminum iPod Mini, but I'm going to go ibook, T630, and regular ipod. Here's hoping the cram and jam promo works for the new ipods!
You're not downgrading your computer to get one that matches your phone, are you???

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:14 AM

That T637 is hot! I mean it's black, has bluetoo......

Oh wait, I have Verizon Wireless.

45 posts to go...
F = ma

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:22 AM

I've had the T610 since it was released. My joystick is getting messed up from use and the screen is getting pretty scratched (but no viewing problems). Screen sucks in direct sun, but there's always clouds in MI so it doesn't affect me.

I'm holding out til they release the s710a in December. Its a s700 with 850 band and EDGE support.

DeathMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
Its a s700 with 850 band and EDGE support.
Yes! But what does that mean!?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 01:56 AM

Does the t637 have any differences in software from the T610/T616?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 19, 2004, 02:08 AM

T610, T630 = 900/1800/1900MHz
T616, T637 = 850/1800/1900MHz

T630/637 = T610/616 + better screen + faster processor (=more responsive UI)

tooki

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
T610, T630 = 900/1800/1900MHz
T616, T637 = 850/1800/1900MHz

T630/637 = T610/616 + better screen + faster processor (=more responsive UI)

tooki
I heard it isn't as annoying to send a text message in the 637's because it has a buddy list or something.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 19, 2004, 02:35 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if there were tweaks to the software. I just listed the hardware differences. I have a T637, but never used a T61x, so I can't say how they compare.

tooki

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 02:44 AM

I've been eyeing that T610 Amazon offer for over a month now. This is the best one yet, but I the funds for a damn cell phone plan now. I do really like the phone, though. Played with it at a T-Mobile kiosk in the mall. Very nice.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 03:49 AM

My T616 is pretty good, nice size, better battery life than my old Nokia, great GUI, but ass-poor RF through AT&T Wireless. There's a firmware upgrade that's said to slightly improve it, but I'll just hold out until the fall and pick up a SE S700. Works great with a Mac and a PC, and Bluetooth that just works, what a relief.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 07:15 AM

I really wish that there were carriers here in California (maybe there are) that had the cool Sony Ericsson phones like the Z600 and K700's, and especially the Z1010.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Yes! But what does that mean!?
The 850MHz band means it works with Cingular and ATT in the US. EDGE is a capability that allows for broadband internet speeds on your phone (or so they say). The s700 works on the 900MHz band (T-mobile), which is what I'm using with my T610 and it's reception is not too hot where I'm at.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by brien:
I really wish that there were carriers here in California (maybe there are) that had the cool Sony Ericsson phones like the Z600 and K700's, and especially the Z1010.
You can just use eBay to buy unlocked GSM phones. You just have to insert your ATT, Cingular, or T-mo SIM card and it'll work. Check out Howard Forums and do some research.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 19, 2004, 11:23 AM

Check the firmware revision when you get it. If it's an older one, you may want to get the firmware upgraded. The earlier firmwares had terrible Java performance (although all the recent onces should be fine).

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 11:59 AM

The T637 has drastically improved RF. If you can get a T63x, go for it...they are far superior to the T61X.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:04 PM

I love my t610.... cept for the crappy camera (i rarely use so, ohwell) and it smuges easly.... other than that its damn good.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Check the firmware revision when you get it. If it's an older one, you may want to get the firmware upgraded. The earlier firmwares had terrible Java performance (although all the recent onces should be fine).
cool, is this something that can be done by the user?
tin pot, garden shed

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 19, 2004, 01:14 PM

the 900MHz band (T-mobile), which is what I'm using with my T610 and it's reception is not too hot where I'm at.
No, 900MHz is not used anywhere in the U.S. 900MHz (and 1800MHz) was already allotted to something else, which is why mobile phones here use 850MHz and 1900MHz instead. T-Mobile uses 1900MHz only. AT&T and Cingular initially both used 1900MHz only (before 850MHz GSM existed), but now they've started using 850MHz for blanket coverage, and 1900MHz in the gaps, which is why AT&T and Cingular won't carry any new handset models that lack 850MHz service.

tooki

Coach
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 03:32 PM

Great phone. I just have one question.

How to you assign number keys to specific numbers on the keypad?

I only have "1" assigned for voicemail.

Thanks

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Coach:
How to you assign number keys to specific numbers on the keypad?
I only have "1" assigned for voicemail.
Thanks
Phonebook>Advanced>Position List

Arrange the numbers on your SIM how you want from 1-9, then you exit out and to dial, just tap the number you want and hit Call. Voicemail is always a 1-second hold on the 1 key, but you can assign another number to 1 and dial it with a tap instead of a hold. I think you can do this for numbers higher than 9, but I don't think it's very convienient.

DeathMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 06:05 PM

You know what would be sweet? i was just reading about skype, and how you can hook up a normal phone to your computer with a little converter box type thing, and talk through skype on your wireless phone.

It would be so rad if you could use your phone as a mic -> bluetooth to skype, and skype over the internet to someone else with skype.

Now THAT would be impressive. I wonder if its possible.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 06:15 PM

ok, so let me rant alittle as i've suddenly turned into a Cell freak and can't wait to get my latest and greatest SE

The T610 is hands down the best phone i've ever used, BUT it can be improved on in afew areas.

a) reception. The WORST reception of any headset known to man. It doesn't matter if you use FIDO, T-Mobile, all of it is here-say because the fact of the matter is the T610/616 is just AWFUL unless you are standing under a tower.

b) the camera isn't the best of quality BUT if you take the time to upgrade the firmware, the picture sizes are MUCH smaller (54k down to 13k? YES PLEASE!) and they are not as blurry.

c) i hate the damned keys, its a chore reading them for text messages, and they feel really hard when pushed.

d) the screen is awful in direct sunlight, and that sucks for me since i work outside.

e)2 megs? thats IT?! this phone is suppose to be a huge step towards more multimedia-esq phone and we only get 2megs?

All in all I love my T-Mobile+T610 combo, mainly because i can use the T10 as a backup for when my Cable modem goes down by using it as a modem with my power book for FREE! Thats right, you can use it as a modem and for free because you get free WAP with T-Mobile.

Another great point about the T610 is the battery. I have gone camping for 5 days, come back, and have just enough to make a call or two...pretty awesome!

I am ordering a K700i within the week. It has a GREAT VGA camera which can produce pictures that are JUST about onpar with those of a 1.3 megapixel (now i don't have to lug my camera AND phone for some candid shots when out with friends) and the screen is just drop-dead gorgeous. Faster menus, MP3 player, FM radio, 45meg onboard, oh ya, and Reception to make a Nokia jealous!
( Last edited by SOLIDAge; Jul 19, 2004 at 06:21 PM. )

DeathMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:

I am ordering a K700i within the week. It has a GREAT VGA camera which can produce pictures that are JUST about onpar with those of a 1.3 megapixel (now i don't have to lug my camera AND phone for some candid shots when out with friends) and the screen is just drop-dead gorgeous. Faster menus, MP3 player, FM radio, 45meg onboard, oh ya, and Reception to make a Nokia jealous!
Thats a nice phone. around $400? or can you get it much cheaper than that? I'll look at something like that for my next one.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 07:18 PM

Save yourself the 400 and get a T63x, drastic improvements over the 61x, and you can make money on the phone via Amazon.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 07:27 PM

@K700 - and the screen is just drop-dead gorgeous.
But not quite like this one:

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 07:41 PM

But not quite like this one:
S700... nice phone.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by brien:
S700... nice phone.
i know, and maybe i'll hold out for the S700i, but when is it's release date? i'm getting fidgety! but mmm the 1.3 mega pixel camera is pretttttttttty.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 08:43 PM

i know, and maybe i'll hold out for the S700i, but when is it's release date? i'm getting fidgety! but mmm the 1.3 mega pixel camera is pretttttttttty.
Yeah that s700 looks great.

I'm using a T610 and other than the crap reception in my flat, its great.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 19, 2004, 08:47 PM

Post some pix from that camera when you get. The useless pix of the T610 is what I hate most about it.

velodev
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 08:54 PM

Treo 600... possibly, possibly one of my favorite phones. I really do like single device functionality.

But lately, I have been cruising for prices on the XDA II/i-Mate/Qtek 2020. I'll wait for a phone provider to claim it and see the prices drop back to reality.

Unless, the Treo Ace ("610") is released and then I am going to make a hard decision.

kikkoman
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 09:04 PM

I just my SE T637 a week ago and so far it's been great. Syncs well with Addressbook and iCal. I usually get 4 or 5 bars for reception with Cingular.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Post some pix from that camera when you get. The useless pix of the T610 is what I hate most about it.
i will for sure
here are some sample pictures from a great review.

small picture at 328resolution

full 640x480, not bad looking at all!

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 09:30 PM

That sure blows away the 2px by 2px pix my 637 takes. "Is that a person or a peach colored bus?"

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 10:44 PM

Release date is Q4 2004, so I'd expect January 05. There's a guy at www.howardforums.com that had a prototype and the camera wasn't too good - looked like stretched out 640x480, but it was a prototype. I think you can find the links to the pics in the SE Forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules