Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Incredible Invisible Spotlight Menuling!

The Incredible Invisible Spotlight Menuling!
DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 09:50 PM

Its been on and off, but its driving me to the funny farm. When I hit Command-Spacebar, I lose focus on whatever I'm typing, The dashboard menuling goes inverted, but I get no sheet (or whatever you would call that). If I type anyway and hit enter, spotlight sometimes still works normally, and pulls up the spotlight results window (which I think should be a finder window, so it persists after you open something and it turns out to be wrong, but thats just personal preference).

Anyone know what is going on here with this Magical Mystery Dialogue?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 04:15 AM

Found this old thread through a search.

I'm now getting this, but only since 10.4.4. Only difference is Spotlight isn't working for me at all when using CMD+Spacebar. If I use Shift+CMD+Spacebar, I get the Finder window version and that works... But the upper right Menuling doesn't work anymore.

Anyone else? Any solutions?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2006, 04:37 AM

Have you tried control-space? There's an odd conflict for command-space between two different parts of the system as well as some applications.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 07:21 AM

Prior to 10.4.x command-space was used by the International Input Menu to switch keyboards. Go to System Preferences>International>Input Menu to see if it has been reset and then choose the Keyboard Shortcuts... option to alter either the Spotlight shortcuts or the Input Menu shortcuts:

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 07:26 AM

Actually, I just tried mine now and I have a problem too, pressing control-space (my shortcut for Spotlight) leads to the blue highlight appearing, but no drop down. Console.log has this in it when I do... obviously something is borked:

2006-01-13 11:25:02.236 SystemUIServer[271] windowPoint is {46, 0}, windowFrame is {{-46, 0}, {46, 22}}
2006-01-13 11:25:02.236 SystemUIServer[271] screen is <NSScreen: 0x368e10>, screenFrame is {{0, 0}, {1280, 854}}
2006-01-13 11:25:02.238 SystemUIServer[271] -[MDMenuWindow _checkTopRight] the window is off the screen topRight point is {-13, 0}
2006-01-13 11:25:02.238 SystemUIServer[271] -[MDMenuWindow _checkTopRight] the window is off the screen topRight point is {-13, 0}

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 07:36 AM

Must be a bug. What is happening is that the menu is appearing off screen. If you use your keyboard shortcut to activate the Spotlight menu, you can actually still type a search and press enter to bring up the search window...

Once you have done this though, what you can't do is click the Spotlight icon any longer to start a search.
( Last edited by JKT; Jan 13, 2006 at 07:43 AM. )

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 01:08 PM

Definitely a bug. I had already figured the keyboard conflict and resolved that. Haven't yet found a fix.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 01:53 PM

Try trashing the preferences of the SystemUIServer.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 03:11 PM

Thanks TETENAL, did the trick. Looking at the old .plist (to work out which menu items I had installed after the reset so I could restore them) before I trashed it, for some reason I had four entries for the CPU.item even though I had removed it some time ago. Very odd.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 01:43 AM

Trashed the SystemUIServer .plists (there were 2) and logged out. That did NOT work. Will try it and reboot when home from work early Saturday.

For the record, this bug is not duplicated on my 12" PowerBook.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 08:05 AM

Figured I'd bump this thread as it's been well over a month. The bug is still there for me and I hesitate to reinstall the OS just for this stupid problem. I've gone back to using CMD+Spacebar for LaunchBar until a fix is found.

Other than trashing the SystemUIServer .plist(s), has anyone else found a solution for this?

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 09:34 AM

FWIW, it hasn't recurred for me, so the .plist deletion fixed it permanently.

Did you try another user account as a test to see if the problem occurs there?

Forum Links
Forum Rules