Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Recommend Buying Apple Care?

Recommend Buying Apple Care?
macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 01:40 AM

Hi, I bought a used MacBook last year around October and the initial year warranty is up in mid-September. I am a student so money is always an issue, but would you guys recommend that I spend the $25o and buy Apple Care? I've got the watered down White one. Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2007, 02:15 AM

It's a good idea - particularly for a laptop. Unless you really don't mind getting a new computer in the event something fails, it's a smart thing to buy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 08:58 AM

Generally for laptops its a good idea. Typically most laptop repairs will exceed the cost of the extended warranty in the first place and so it gives you coverage and peace of mind.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 11:59 AM

Please clarify: You bought a "used" MB? Did the original owner transfer the original Applecare over to your name? Did you maybe mean "refurbished"?

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 28, 2007, 07:11 AM

AppleCare is a good investment IMO seeing as how these days any repair job usually consists of removing a *faulty* part and fitting a new, *expensive to replace* part ...

yaroldb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 02:22 PM

Get it, it's worth the peace of mind. I found mine for $150 o n Ebay. You can find them for around that much if you look. If your Logic Board goes, that will cost you about $600 alone.
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 28, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by yaroldb View Post
If your Logic Board goes, that will cost you about $600 alone.
Yes, my Sleep Pulse light went while under warranty (Luckily!) and they replaced the Logic Board ... maybe that's why the Pulse light has been left out of the new iMac design ...

turntabletux
Aug 29, 2007, 11:53 AM

I am also a student so I am in the same boat as you. Applecare is definitely the first thing I am going to buy as soon as I get money though. I purchased my Macbook in March and in April I had to take it to the Mac store for a Bootcamp problem. Then in July I had to take it in for a new power adapter.

As a student you never know what could happen to it. There are those nights where things are just unexplainable

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 01:02 PM

YES get it!!!!! So far Ive had two causes to use applecare 1: a new battery. 2: A new HD, new logic board and new Superdrive (would have cos nearly 800GBP)
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 08:44 PM

I just got AppleCare because my one year was about to run out and I'm running into some issues with my macbook... If your a student its a little less than 200 bucks...

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2007, 09:11 AM

SpencerLavery
Aug 30, 2007, 06:20 PM

I'm not sure if it's the same in the US but I managed to get a near 75% off student discount when I purchased AppleCare with my MacBook.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

macuser9909  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 01:46 AM

Great, thanks for the responses guys... looks like I'll go ahead and get the student discount at the Apple Store tomorrow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules