Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do NOT use Energy Saver To Put Machine To Sleep

Do NOT use Energy Saver To Put Machine To Sleep
mrl14
May 22, 2002, 04:01 PM

Well once again Apple has outdone themselves.

Last night I decided to use Energy Saver to put my Mac to sleep in about 15 minutes since I needed something to finish but had to get to sleep.

So anyhow I wake up in the morning and the screen is black but the computer is still humming. After nothing would bring it back I reset the machine to find it booting into OS 9 and that my OS X and Main Hard drive did not appear. using Norton and Disk WArrior I was unable to even see the drive. I turned the machien off for the day and now finally Norton sees the drive and is fixing all the MAJOR problems it has found.

I know what happened and I'm going to tell all of you so that you don't pull this same mistake. OS X has enough sleep problems as it is. SO anyhow, the machine attempted to go to sleep, it makes that click noise, spins down the drive but because of the problems it never gets to sleep it awakes again and waits another 15 minutes and tries the same thing. On and on...all throught the nite for 8 hours my harddrive spun down and spun up....spinning it crazy and thus causing it to basically destroy itself. So Apple...if you're going to implement features in your OS make them work, because of your lame attempt to make sleep work at least on my machine (Dual 1GHZ) you've ruined my Harddrive and now forced me to do this extra work for no reason...THANKS!!!!

Dual 1ghz G4
1.5GB RAM
OS X 10.1.4.

Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

tr
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 04:29 PM

while i feel your frustration with what happened to your machine, i don't think this should be a warning to ALL USERS to not use energy saver to put their machines to sleep. i've had no problems with energy saver putting my sawtooth 450 to sleep in OS X (two ibm hd's, 2930 SCSI card, internal fw drive); the only problem i've ever encountered is the firewire connection warning, if i forget to unmount my internal firewire drive (i usually unmount if i'm not using it).

also, is your hard drive ruined or not? you say that norton's fixing it, so i assume it's okay, right? if not, you're still under warranty...

tr

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2002, 04:30 PM

Sleep works perfectly with my iBook 600 OS X.1.4, regardless if I use Energy Saver or if I just close the lid. I often go several weeks before rebooting.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 22, 2002, 04:48 PM

No problems here with sleeping my G4 (or any of my other Macs) via energy saver...

However, a while back I did hear of problems of comatose macs, when using energy saver, although I'm pretty sure it was in the misty pre OS X 10.1 days...

mrl14, maybe it just be a problem with that particular install of OS X? I'm pretty sure if there was a 'major' sleep problem trashing HDs around the place it would have been reported by more people now...perhaps a reinstall may sort it...

Peace,

Marc

Incidentally what errors did Norton come up with? (does it even tell you?), as the type could perhaps shed some light what the problem was...

MM-o4
Senior User
May 22, 2002, 07:17 PM

I hear you. My DP800 does the same in 10.1.4. nut with out my HD disappearing.The other thing that is even more strange is when I do manage to get it to sleep, it will turn itself back on an hour or two later. No monitor, just the tower hummmmming away.
*sidenote* are the DP1GHz as loud as the DP800? *sidenote*
So now I am forced to turn it off all the time which I doon't want to do. My iBook is never turned off and there has been no probs with regard to sleeping. STRANGE.
Hopefully 10.2 is the answer

MM-o4

Forum Links
Forum Rules