Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dumbest thing you've ever done?

Dumbest thing you've ever done? (Page 2)
DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:
electrocuting myself
Just thought I'd point out that if you had electrocuted yourself, you're dead.

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 02:29 AM

I seem to have car-related stupid things, and not just because I drive a sports car ('98 Mustang).

When I was 15, I convinced my father that I was competent enough to back the car out of the drive way and park it on the street. Now, this was with never being behind the wheel before in any car, and the car I was backing up was a 1986 Mercury Cougar, which is like a big tank. I put the car in reverse and backed up, but I didn't hit the breaks and ended up backing into my dad's car. Needless to say, he wasn't amused, but he did train me how to drive a year later when I got my license.

The second car-related incident happened when I was driving back from a buddy's wedding rehearsal. It was a nice January night and I had the windows down and was listening to some punk music (Ignite, a good hardcore band from California, if you're into that sort of thing) while driving with one hand. It was dark and the onramp to the highway wasn't lit all that well so I missed it by about 10 feet, hit my front passenger tire, bent the axle and the subframe and caused about $2000 worth of damage. Needless to say, I watch carefully for onramps now.

Then there was the time I hit a deer in the left lane of the New Jersey turnpike, but that's for a whole other topic.

Cheers,
X.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 11:36 AM

Street racing....... Did some of that stupid stuff too.
Probably the stupidist besides racing down Big Basin in Saratoga.
Was the day 1997 I drove from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz in under 10 minutes on HWY17.
Mind you I did this in my 96 Saleen Mustang.
125MPH going through Scotts Valley.
I did slow to 65 going over the summit (Speed Trap)

Could of been a Darwin award winner.

Sock Puppet Theater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 02:48 PM

i mistook a dead poodle for a lambchop puppet once. boy was that embarrassing. and you'd think those people at the pet funeral home would have more of a sense of humor about it. some people are just so uptight.
Where have my hands been?

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 16, 2003, 01:50 PM

i sprayed pepperspray indoors yesterday.
pretty damned stupid.

if you're thinking about testing out some kind of aerosol weapon, i'd advise you to take it outside. unless you like the feel of pepper mixed with the normal oxygen in your house.

and to quote ralph: it tastes like burning

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
i sprayed pepperspray indoors yesterday.

hahah. it doesnt take much.

i remember a friend of mine had a little pepper spray thing on her keys. at some point someone had picked up her keys off the table at dennys one night and was messing with the little canister sprayer thing and accidentally sprayed a very very tiny amount. it pretty much cleared out the restaurant.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 16, 2003, 03:36 PM

the container was about 2 inches tall. about average size for pepperspray i think. and when it sprayed it sprayed a lot. all in one shotgun-like burst (into a sink a foot from my face).
cleared out a few rooms of our house for half the night. and my housemate (who owns the pepperspray and was in the bathroom when it 'misfired') stayed home from work today partly because of it. so yeah, stupid.

dencamp
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 03:56 PM

After teaching a Freshman lit class while sick, I walked out of the room and turned straight into the women's restroom. Not only is that a bad idea if you're a man, it is also a bad idea if a gaggle of your female students are in that bathroom...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by dencamp:
After teaching a Freshman lit class while sick, I walked out of the room and turned straight into the women's restroom. Not only is that a bad idea if you're a man, it is also a bad idea if a gaggle of your female students are in that bathroom...
How did you go about making a graceful exit?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

dencamp
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 04:44 PM

Turn red. stammer. back out.

talisker
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
hitting a parked car on my bicycle.
That reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine. No, not to me, but it's so funny I almost wish it had been.

This guy was riding his bike in the winter in Scotland, so it was pretty cold. He was wearing one of those thin balaclava type things that you can roll up and just wear as a hat. To start with he was in "hat mode".

As he accelerated down a hill in the middle of town, the increasing windspeed made his head a little cold, so he reached up and pulled down the hat to go into full "balaclava mode". This would have been sensible except that he had accidently put the thing on back to front. So when he pulled it down he could no longer see.

You might think, no problem, just pull it straight off again, but for some reason he thought the best course of action was to simply slam on the brakes and stop. However, as he was riding a mountain bike rather than the racing bike he normally rode, he fumbled this and ended up hitting a parked car and somewhat damaging himself.

To compound matters, he was actually on his way to the pub, so he was forced to turn up with blood on his face and have the piss taken out of him all evening!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 11:30 PM

I've hired some real idiots

I dated Marilyn K. (aka bitch-monster)

I sold my tickets for the last game of the 1999 New York Rangers hockey season game.*

*Last game of Wayne Gretzky...oy!

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 08:47 AM

Dumbest thing I've ever done? Marry a German woman for all the wrong reasons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules