Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Brainwashing 101

Brainwashing 101
PacHead
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 05:42 PM

Political correctness = Fascism, censorship and evil.

It has long been known that there is an overabundance of left leaning professors at US universities, and they are basically spewing hate speech, intimidation and fascist ideas inorder to silence all those who do not happen to buy into their perverted views.

Here's a shortfilm/documentary that details some of this oppresion and the sick/fascist laws that many US universities operate by. This is nothing short of discrimination.

If you're 5 white dudes who paint their faces black and dress up as the Jackson Five for Halloween = BAD, EXPULSION, OUTRAGE etc.

If you happen to be a Sikh student who is conservative, and you receive death threats from leftie, racist wackos (under the guidance of teachers) = No big deal, how dare anybody complain about this.

In other words, it is perfectly ok to discriminate/hate others - It just depends who the victim is, apparently.

DOWNLOAD LINK (77.9 MEG)

http://academicbias.com/

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 05:46 PM

Saw that. GJ Evan. Worth the long view.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 06:03 PM

Utterly disgusting. Thanks for the link.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2004, 06:20 PM

It's like Karl Rove said.
The more educated tend to vote democratic.
Someone here on Macnn has the exact quote in their sig

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

DOWNLOAD LINK (77.9 MEG)

http://academicbias.com/

So what? You're an oppressed racist or something?

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
So what? You're an oppressed racist or something?
I'm saying most of the haters are on the left. Just look at this forum. Certain people cannot reply without accusing others of either being, neonazicons, fascists, bigots etc. , in every single post.

These people hide behind political correctness, yet it is those people who are the real fascists, that's all I'm saying. I'm also saying political correctness SUCKS.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Secret__Police:

It's actually the opposite -

You vote democrat = more likely

1) you make less money
2) less educated
3) more of a chance you're gay

etc. etc.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 07:52 PM

Looks like the conservative side has found his Michael Moore.

PS I find amusing that he makes a movie about brainwashing by starting his movie with some government propaganda from WWII.

PPS Oh and yeah political correctness is getting out of control.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2004, 07:54 PM

It has long been known that there is an overabundance of left leaning professors at US universities, and they are basically spewing hate speech, intimidation and fascist ideas inorder to silence all those who do not happen to buy into their perverted views.
Are you one of those souls that can't keep their left and right apart or are you so far off-scale to the right that, for you, fascists are indeed on the left side from where you are?

Just puzzled...
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Sock Puppet Theater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2004, 07:56 PM

I'm saying most of the haters are on the left. Just look at this forum. Certain people cannot reply without accusing others of either being, neonazicons, fascists, bigots etc. , in every single post.
And certain people cannot reply without accusing others of being hippies, commies, pinkos, homos, liberal scum, etc.. in every single post.

But you've established your side as morally superior, since "most of the haters are on the left." So please, carry on with your complete lack of gross generalizations.
Where have my hands been?

Gee-Man
Senior User
Sep 14, 2004, 08:40 PM

Death threats can and do come from all types of idiotic people with all kinds of idiotic political opinions, both left and right. Stop trying to claim moral superiority for "your side", it just looks silly.

The ultimate point of college is to teach students to think for themselves. If you are aware of a "bias", then college has succeded for you, since you've already formed your own opinion independent of the institution or teacher(s). Congratulations.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Secret__Police:
But it doesn't exactly sound like there are any varied styles of thinking being introduced to the students. So to assume "well hey they're educated and they vote democratic" isn't very bright. In many cases, the students have been bombarded with a lot of pro-democractic thought...and not much of anything else.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Gee-Man:
Death threats can and do come from all types of idiotic people with all kinds of idiotic political opinions, both left and right. Stop trying to claim moral superiority for "your side", it just looks silly.

The ultimate point of college is to teach students to think for themselves. If you are aware of a "bias", then college has succeded for you, since you've already formed your own opinion independent of the institution or teacher(s). Congratulations.
Death threats are condoned by radical leftie teachers, as evidenced by the link.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 09:27 PM

Ignorance is knowledge.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
Ignorance is knowledge.
Dude, it's Ignorance is Freedom and if someone mentions that book again in political discussion my head's going to explode.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Dude, it's Ignorance is Freedom and if someone mentions that book again in political discussion my head's going to explode.
Ah?

I thought it did a long time ago...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
Ah?

I thought it did a long time ago...
Duct tape: Protection from dead ideologies

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Duct tape: Protection from dead ideologies
Freedom from duct tape must be painful, but a necessary step I'm sure...

Don't delay! Otherwise the glue might take more than you figured out!

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 11:18 PM

Death threats are condoned by radical leftie teachers, as evidenced by the link.
There are always radicals, always will be, thats what makes them radical, no?

What is so wrong with being PC? If you think being PC sucks they you haven't been on the receiving end of the ugliness.

I love how all these people are like lemmings "being PC sucks, im such a badazz, hahah" Then you ask them:
Who is forcing them to be PC... no answer.
What can't they say that isn't PC... no answer.

There is plenty of non-PC in the world, Tv Shows, Radio Shows, Books, Magazines... etc.
Where I work it is very non-pc and we joke about all kinds of things, I would expect a larger company to have guidelines though..

I will say that the lawsuits and such are a menace and need to be controlled. I think that is a main issue...

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 11:22 PM

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 11:34 PM

If that was to me, is that the best you can come up with?

I was going to post the tinfoil but this thread sound like the "same sex marriage somehow takes away something from me" arguments.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Condi has a nice a$$

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 12:49 AM

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 01:10 AM

Watch, within a few hours this will degrade into all insane wacko right-wingers accusing ALL liberals of being racist hate-mongers. They'll claim that not only is it because they are bad people, but that their very ideology promotes racism. Meanwhile, we'll have all the super left-wing wacko liberals mindlessly attacking the other way, claiming the exact same thing except the other way around.

God, you people are sad. Do any of you even think anymore? Or are you like earthworms, completely reaction-based to the point of not even reading the content of anything or considering it? I recall a thread dealing with the possible abuse of power by New York police during the RNC - EVERY conservative was attacking the protesters (as if they didn't have the right to protest or something) and defending the police, while EVERY liberal attacked the police and defended the protesters.

Give me a f*cking break, people.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 01:12 AM

If you are referring to my picture, it was obviously a joke.

If not, then nevermind.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 01:15 AM

If you are referring to my picture, it was obviously a joke.

If not, then nevermind.
No, I wasn't.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Watch, within a few hours this will degrade into all insane wacko right-wingers accusing ALL liberals of being racist hate-mongers. They'll claim that not only is it because they are bad people, but that their very ideology promotes racism. Meanwhile, we'll have all the super left-wing wacko liberals mindlessly attacking the other way, claiming the exact same thing except the other way around.

God, you people are sad. Do any of you even think anymore? Or are you like earthworms, completely reaction-based to the point of not even reading the content of anything or considering it? I recall a thread dealing with the possible abuse of power by New York police during the RNC - EVERY conservative was attacking the protesters (as if they didn't have the right to protest or something) and defending the police, while EVERY liberal attacked the police and defended the protesters.

Give me a break, people.

Surely there is a right to assemble and peaceably protest. I recall that there were protesters who took it upon themselves to beat other people up, throw urine-filled balloons at police officers, and otherwise assault people. Now this was not the behavior of all protesters, but it certainly was that of some of them. So, there was a reason to defend police and speak badly of protester behavior.

Is there a liberal bias in academic institutions that quells or quashes other opinions? Quite possibly. Are there professors who parrot the line that "liberals are more intelligent" ? Assuredly.

http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/acfreed..._comments.html

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2004/plecnik083004.htm

http://www.psych.upenn.edu/%7Efjgil/open.htm

Just for starters.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2004, 09:59 AM

1) you make less money
2) less educated

etc. etc.
The more someone disagrees with your opinion, the more stupid the other side, the more bigot, hatemongerish, etc.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
The more someone disagrees with your opinion, the more stupid the other side, the more bigot, hatemongerish, etc.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 10:53 AM

**edit**
Vd. es un sexista.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 11:48 AM

1) you make less money
2) less educated
You're correct on #2 and #3. #1 has an additional component, however.

From the CNN Survey of the 2000 election voters...

1) Gore had a 20-point advantage with workers earning less than $15,000. (59% - 39%) and a 13-point advantage with those earning between $15k - $30k (54% - 41%)

The additional component is: Gore had a 17-point advantage with the Upper Class (56% - 39%)

So, fiscally speaking, the super-rich vote Democrat, and the super-poor vote Democrat.

(2) Gore had a 20% advantage over Bush among those that have no high school diploma (59% - 39%). Bush held a 2% advantage with those who are college eductated.

(3) Gore had a 45% advantage with gays - 70% - 25%

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 12:13 PM

Uh...

Under 15k - 57 to 37, Gore
15-30k - 54-41, Gore
30-50k - 49-48, Gore
50-75k - 46-51, Bush
75-100k - 45-52, Bush
Over 100k - 43-54, Bush

These stats taken from the link YOU provided, spacefreak. The poor generally voted for Gore, the rich generally voted for Bush.

I do see that they provided stats for votes by class. And yes, the "Upper Class" did vote for Gore more than for Bush, by a lot in fact. However, they don't say how they determined what class people were in. They certainly didn't go straight by income, that's for sure, otherwise it would show similar results to the stats I posted above. They may have asked the person taking the survey to identify which class they thought they were a part of, or they may have determined it based on other questions, I don't know. So you're right that people in what this survey calls the "Upper Class" voted for Gore over Bush. But that's different, apparently, from who people voted for based on income. If you look at votes by income, the rich voted for Bush.

EDIT: Thank god the internet has nothing to do with how people vote. According to that site (thanks for the link, lots of interesting data there), regular internet users and people who get their news from the internet were evenly split between the two parties.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 12:17 PM

One of the poorest states in the union voted for Bush. WV.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
75-100k - 45-52, Bush
Over 100k - 43-54, Bush

These stats taken from the link YOU provided, spacefreak. The poor generally voted for Gore, the rich generally voted for Bush.

I do see that they provided stats for votes by class. And yes, the "Upper Class" did vote for Gore more than for Bush, by a lot in fact. However, they don't say how they determined what class people were in. They certainly didn't go straight by income, that's for sure, otherwise it would show similar results to the stats I posted above.
Perhaps you think that making $75K or $100K is "Upper Class", but most who earn that much would tell you no way. I'll tell you first hand, being around that income bracket - I am in no way near being considered as "upper class". Heck, I'm not even anywhere near being simply "rich".

$75K - $100K earners don't generally belong to country clubs, own yachts, have numerous high-priced automobiles, own multiple homes throughout the country (or world), eat at only the finest restaurants, etc. - you know, the things most people think of when they think of the "upper class" .

The "upper class" as denoted in that survey represents those voters who stated they were "upper class", not those who YOU consider to be "upper class".

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 12:47 PM

True. My parents both work freelance, and their income varies. On good years, though, they sometimes pull in as much as 120k. But we're still definitely a middle class, I guess upper middle class family. We're not even close to the caviar-eating, yacht-owning demographic.

I guess what liberal voters vs. conservative voters consider to be upper class may vary slightly. An interesting quote I found here while looking for more information:

Incidentally, my favorite factoid from the aforementioned exit poll is this. If you break down votes by income, Bush won the $100,000 and over crew by a hefty 53-43 margin. The self-described "upper class" however went for Gore by 55-38. Only 4 percent of the public thinks of themselves as upper class, however, which is especially interesting when you recall a different poll saying that 19 percent of the public believes they are in the top 1 percent of the income pyramid. What kind of a person thinks he's in the top 1 percent but doesn't think this makes him "upper class" is a bit beyond me.
Strange effect there. I wonder if there's data for more than just the "$100,000 and up" category? I'd be interested to see how the super-rich (say, 500k a year or more) are voting. It might be very different from how those making 100-500k are voting, or maybe not, I don't know.

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2004, 12:52 PM

Thank you very much, I'll send this to my girlfriend (who is Mexican) to translate it for me.

(Now those sarcasm tags would come in handy.)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Thank you very much, I'll send this to my girlfriend (who is Mexican) to translate it for me.

(Now those sarcasm tags would come in handy.)
I take it you can translate it then

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I take it you can translate it then
In case I'm not sure, I can still ask her

Cohiba
Sep 16, 2004, 08:52 PM

I have been to college, and most people are relatively liberal, because the whole underlining idea of liberalism is to change things and do what you want to do. Conservative is to keep things the same and to not do what you want to do. Younger people are more rebellious, older people do not want things to change.

College is all about being an autonomous being. The system revolves around young rebellious adults, that want to break away from being told how to live. Life is mostly independent, you do not have to work with other people, its you studying your material. College gives people the environment for independent thinking, but also to be taken �care of� in the process. Many students have their college paid for them in some way or another, student loans, parents, scholarships, ect. So, people who go to college, are more likely to be liberal, and populist. They want to think how they want to think, and have people shell out cash to help them do so. Because of this, it is natural for them to have a liberal populist way of thinking. After all, college is all about thinking how you want to think, to find the real and independent you, and doing so is the opposite of being conservative.

This all changes once you enter the real world. You get a job, become another cog in the machine of life. You have to accept conformity. Business attire, caring for youself and others, paying your bills. No more money from the parents, no more scholarships, no more student aid. Chances are you now have to pay off your student loans too. You become less of a populist, and more of a libertarian. You want to �get yours�. People often fail to survive in business by being liberal. Speak you mind, people will grow to dislike you. Be reticent, you go under the radar. After all, how many people who tell off their boss, get a corner office? Not many.

The bottom line is being liberal is not how people are in the real world. It if you are in some independent profession, in which you rely on creativity, or for some extremely small corporation, you are more liberal, then a manager, or similar position working in the real workplace. Chances are if you had a rough financial time at college, you are also more conservative, because you had to not do what you wanted to do, which is more what life is all about.

Many professors I had when I went to college, graduated with a PhD, and then taught at college. They have never been in the real world, so they are most likely still liberal. If you go into the �another cog in the machine� world, the real world, you will change your mind. If you have kids, and a family, you have to again limit what you want to do. After not doing what you want to do for a few years (which is what being conservative is all about) you have a paradigm shift. It�s normal to not do what you want to do. Your kid get sick, no football for you. You have a wife, no late night drinking for you. It becomes normal. The more responsibility pressed onto you by others, the more you conform. In college, the only responsibly pressed onto you is by yourself, so you personality exploads instead of implodes.

Both sides are educated, just some are at different points of their life then others. Get a family, work a normal job, live the average life, you will become more conservative. When people rely on you, there needs (in essence) push in your personality. You do not want to screw things up, get fired, have your wife divorce you, not have money when your kid gets sick, etc, etc. When you only rely on yourself, people commonly express them selves more, because they have the ability to. People do not like you, it does not matter. You do not rely on them, nor vice versa. And if you are young, it is natural to express what you parents may have condemned. Its how people are.

So, being liberal or conservative has nothing to do with education. Its just how their life is. People in more creative professions tend to be more liberal, because art and rhetoric is all about letting creative thoughts out. People who work in the military, business, and cubicles, its all about keeping beliefs in and putting productivity out. Live in college, its all about letting wants out, have a family, its all about keeping wants in.

Your idea of life is only attributed to how your life is. What I find funny, is how some of you people dislike other people based solely on this. Disliking someone based on being liberal or conservative, is childish. You people just need to get over this.

Working in large groups, if you constantly brash out with independent thought, you derail projects. A little here and there is good, but if you must always speak your mind, you, or your team will loose focus. Group think keeps people on the tracks, which is necessary for people working in groups. Ten brains with the same ideology but different technical skills, makes for one really knowledgeable brain. Ten brains with different ideology makes for ten different brains, which is really not as usefull for getting one job done. So, people suppress their ideas, and only put out job related information, they become conservative. If you are in a more independent career, not having independent thought, means you will most likely get nowhere, so you do more what you want to do.

Consequently, people who live in more populated cities, live their lives relying on other people, so they become more populist in nature. More rural, you need to do more yourself, so you become more libertarian. Which is why large cities, like NYC are more democrat (liberal populists) and why more rural areas people are republican (conservative libertarians).

Its just how people are, they adapt, even mentally, to their life style. It has nothing to do with education, religion, just lifestyle. Liberterian, populist, liberal, conservative, its all good. Saying you dislike right or left people, is the same as disliking Christians, or black people. If anything, you should want to convers with other ideologies, you learn more when people disagree, then when they just say �yep�.

P.S. Sorry for the long book, I get carried away easily.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Cohiba:
I have been to college, and most people are relatively liberal, because the whole underlining idea of liberalism is to change things and do what you want to do. Conservative is to keep things the same and to not do what you want to do. Younger people are more rebellious, older people do not want things to change.

Not sure if I would agree with that. I do what I want to do. It just so happens a lot of kids want to do things that are ILLEGAL.

College is all about being an autonomous being.

Hmm I thought college was about getting an education.

After all, college is all about thinking how you want to think, to find the real and independent you, and doing so is the opposite of being conservative.

I disagree with that. Esp since a lot of kids decide to be "liberal" because of what their teachers have told them. And I didn't find the real independent ME until I became conservative.

The rest of your "book" I have really no opinion on.

It was a good read, and well worth the time it took to read it.

And your sig is one of the best in here I have seen.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 09:01 PM

The sig is so good I believe it is a sigar!

(It's late - gimmie a break!!)

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2004, 09:04 PM

I always thought liberal/conservative was related to age. i.e. the older you get the more conservative you become. I've seen it happen to friends, but I've never looked for any actual statistics.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2004, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
I always thought liberal/conservative was related to age. i.e. the older you get the more conservative you become. I've seen it happen to friends, but I've never looked for any actual statistics.
I agree that is the usual trend. Then there are the 14 year old ultra rightwing exceptions.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 16, 2004, 09:13 PM

The sig is so good I believe it is a sigar!

(It's late - gimmie a break!!)

I agree that is the usual trend. Then there are the 14 year old ultra rightwing exceptions.
They are being rebellious.

Cohiba
Sep 16, 2004, 09:52 PM

Not sure if I would agree with that. I do what I want to do. It just so happens a lot of kids want to do things that are ILLEGAL.

Hmm I thought college was about getting an education.

I disagree with that. Esp since a lot of kids decide to be "liberal" because of what their teachers have told them. And I didn't find the real independent ME until I became conservative.

The rest of your "book" I have really no opinion on.

It was a good read, and well worth the time it took to read it.

And your sig is one of the best in here I have seen.
Good points. Overall, I have to retract a few items because of what you said. It is true, that the major purpose of college is to get an education. But I also believe people think it is the place to find what kind of person you really are. However, people do not have some kind of �secret personality�. Their personality adapts to their current environment.

I do not believe I will ever find my �real self�. I have change quite a bit. I have noticed after many stages of my life, being very liberal during college, and very conservative during my military service (four years one way, for years another way) I am now overall very centralist. Because of this, I find myself to not like either parties, and find partisanship to be, mostly, bickering. I am the �fit in nowhere� kind of guy.

When I was in college, I thought that conservatives were people who wanted to shut me up (i.e. parents). I even pulled the whole �stealing my rights� thing, and all. However, when I joined the military, I leaned drastically the other way. Became actually disgusted with my former self. In college, I used to protest everything and anything. Half the things were just plain ignorant. So during my military time, I thought that liberals were ignorant kids, which is what I thought of myself a few years back.

Well, now I am at the middle. Both extremes are, well extreme. College is overly liberal, and military service is overly conservative. I think it would behoove anyone to pull four years of service and go to college, or vice versa, gives you a very good perspective on both sides of the fence. Just as the college experience is good, so is the military experience. Just as many liberals are protesting the Iraqi war, I know many people still in the military who have a real disgust with the people protesting the Iraqi war. Its just how the environment is.

Now is this brainwashing, I do not think so. Its about people conforming to their situation to get their job done. If the military (a very group wise organization) was very liberal, nothing would get done. Consequently, if you worked as an artist by yourself, of you were very conservative, chances are people would not like anything you ever made. If adapting is brainwashing, then it would mean everyone in the world, is well, brainwashed.

Now, that could be true, honestly, but if everyone is brainwashed, then technically, no one can be brainwashed.

Note: I am still thinking about that last sentence myself. So if it sounds stupid, that�s okay, reading it again, I kind of think so too.

Edit: Thanks for the sig complement.
( Last edited by Cohiba; Sep 16, 2004 at 10:02 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules