Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Who is the puppet-master behind Kerry?

Who is the puppet-master behind Kerry?
Taliesin
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 06:51 AM

*Beware, this is a possible manipulation of the electorate through a foreign agent.*
We all know that Bush is just a smiling face for the politics Karl Rove wants to make, but who is the shadowy figure behind Kerry?

Besides what do you think about people that have considerable might in politics but aren't elected, what do you think about ghost-written speeches, etc..?

Taliesin

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2004, 12:27 PM

Karl Rove pulls the strings for the both of them.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 12:39 PM

Sock Puppet Theater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 01:12 PM

It ain't me.
Where have my hands been?

Beewee
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 01:41 PM

"We are all either kings or pawns."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2004, 01:54 PM

It's the, now supposedly dead, Col. Sanders. I can explain it for you, if you'd like.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 02:56 PM

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by Taliesin:
*Beware, this is a possible manipulation of the electorate through a foreign agent.*
We all know that Bush is just a smiling face for the politics Karl Rove wants to make, but who is the shadowy figure behind Kerry?
Alex D�sert

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 03:36 AM

Besides what do you think about people that have considerable might in politics but aren't elected, what do you think about ghost-written speeches, etc..?

Taliesin
Well, it depends on which Kerry you're referring to.

The one who voted FOR the war? Howard Dean

The one who voted AGAINST it? George Soros

If you mean the Kerry who bravely fought for his country in Viet Nam? Capt. Wilton Parmenter (Ken Berry in "F-Troop")

The one that negotiated with the North Vietnamese in Paris? Jane Fonda

The one that protested the Viet Nam war? Abbie Hoffman

The one that served as the junior Senator from Massachusetts?
Ted Kennedy

The one who couldn't clearly get his message out, even to his campaign's supporters, for over a year? Fred Fenster (mumbling voiced character with a flair for words, played by Benicio del Toro in "The Usual Suspects")

The one who, improbably, is starting to fool people into believing he's a viable candidate for the job of CiC? Hillary Clinton

The one who'll be pulling the strings behind the scenes IF he wins the election? Tereza Heinz (at least she seems to have the courage of her convictions)
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 03:54 AM

Taliesin
Cool disclosure!

The candidates and the party choose their advisors. The candidates assume responsibility for these folks, to a large degree.

If you are alluding to the possibility that the un-elected people might unduly influence the candidate or the President, well...if they aren't breaking the law, then it's pretty much up to the principal to decide whether they are exerting too much influence.

There was a scene in the film, NIXON (I believe) where sometime after the 1968 victory he met with some of the very powerful businessmen whose support he gladly accepted during the campaign. In this scene they sought to use their power and the previous relationship to get now, President Nixon to dance to their tune.

Correctly invoking his position as PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, HE SHUT EM DOWN COLD!

If you'll be more specific in your question I'll be happy to climb back up on my soap box.

Taliesin  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Cool disclosure!

The candidates and the party choose their advisors. The candidates assume responsibility for these folks, to a large degree.

If you are alluding to the possibility that the un-elected people might unduly influence the candidate or the President, well...if they aren't breaking the law, then it's pretty much up to the principal to decide whether they are exerting too much influence.
What brought the question up in my mind was a story on the internet about George W. Bush juniors' disinterest in politics before he became senator. It was a few weeks ago, I read it, but I don't know where I read it, otherwise I would just link to it. The story claimed that Karl Rove learned to know Bush junior when he visited Bush senior, and then had a hard time to persuade Bush junior to try to become a politician, off course with the future opportunity of becoming president, with Rove as his advisor from then on.

So, it seemed that not Bush junior chose his advisor, that instead the advisor chose the candidate to bring up to presidency.

Taliesin

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 05:50 AM

What brought the question up in my mind was a story on the internet about George W. Bush juniors' disinterest in politics before he became senator. It was a few weeks ago, I read it, but I don't know where I read it, otherwise I would just link to it. The story claimed that Karl Rove learned to know Bush junior when he visited Bush senior, and then had a hard time to persuade Bush junior to try to become a politician, off course with the future opportunity of becoming president, with Rove as his advisor from then on.

So, it seemed that not Bush junior chose his advisor, that instead the advisor chose the candidate to bring up to presidency.

Taliesin
Ya know, I believe I understood it happening that same way, though I don't have a link for it either. Let's just assume, until proven otherwise, that our memories are accurate.

It's not at all uncommon here for a candidate to be persuaded to run for office.

An interesting film (don't know if it's on VCR or DVD) which accurately depicts process in a fictional story, is Robert Redford's "The Candidate."

EDIT: I might add that W was Governor of Texas. Also, "The Candidate" was made in the early 1970's I think.

Taliesin  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
EDIT: I might add that W was Governor of Texas. Also, "The Candidate" was made in the early 1970's I think.
Yes, off course, governor he was. Kerry was the senator. Shame on me for that mistake. Regarding your notion that it is pretty common that an advisor persuades a candidate to become politician and at the end sometimes president, who was the person that persuaded Kerry to go that route, and is still at his side or better behind him in the shadows?

Taliesin

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 07:35 PM

Teddy K. is his political daddy. I sure hope he's a better driver, though!

Atomic Rooster
Oct 8, 2004, 07:42 PM

Se�or Wenceslas

Forum Links
Forum Rules