Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sean Penn Goes Too Far

Sean Penn Goes Too Far
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:23 PM

I think that Sean Penn is the new Jane Fonda (aka "Hanoi Jane") of our times. First he interferes and says things that were harmful regarding the Iraq War and now he's in Tehran praying with the Ayatollah at the mosques there, apparently.

Oon a brief assignment for the San Francisco Chronicle ahead of presidential elections on June 17, may be one of the best known faces in film, but he went unrecognized by the 6,000 faithful at Tehran University.

Working with a translator, Penn took copious notes as hardline cleric Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati urged the congregation to vote en masse "to make America angry."

The actor, who visited Iraq before and after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003 and wrote an account of his second trip for the Chronicle, told Reuters he had decided to come to Iran because of growing tensions between Washington and Tehran.

The United States accuses Iran of developing nuclear weapons and sponsoring terrorism. Iran denies the charges.
Link.

If they are going to take people hostage and parade them on Al Jezeera, why doesn't he volunteer himself? Maybe he could "fix" things with the terrorists so that they won't kidnap and behead innocent civilians, torture and maim women and children, and do everything possible to cause more harm? In fact, why doesn't he just don a robe and go hang out in the mountains of Pakistan or Afghanistan with Bin Laden?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:34 PM

By Iran, Iranians, or in Iran no people are taken hostage as far as I know. I don't think Al Jazeera is broadcast there and I'm not aware of any connection between Iran and Bin Laden or Pakistan and Afghanistan (other than being a neighbour country).

Why can't Sean Penn do whatever he wants? He's a free man, isn't he?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 05:35 PM

Yeah.. unless he starts beating up on women again.

Madonna dumped his ass because of that.

So I am sure he fits right in.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 05:37 PM

While those brainwashed morons were chanting "Death to America", I wonder what he was scribbling in his notes.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I think that Sean Penn is the new Jane Fonda (aka "Hanoi Jane") of our times. First he interferes and says things that were harmful regarding the Iraq War and now he's in Tehran praying with the Ayatollah at the mosques there, apparently.
He observed them and wrote down personal notes about his experience.

The hatred coming out of some of you has gone too far. You'll never build bridges with other cultures or help them modernise their nations if all you do is spew hatred and lies. You've become 'crusaders' no different to those in the middle-east who scream hate.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
While those brainwashed morons were chanting "Death to America", I wonder what he was scribbling in his notes.
Maybe taking notes about the type of students who were there, how many didn't chant, how many were modern youth who want more democratic accountability, etc. There are a lot of students there who want change. They need high profile people to give them a voice inside and outside Iran.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:46 PM

My question is this: Who appointed Sean Penn our representative to Iran? Seriously? What gives that guy the right to think - for a second - that he can represent me or my children or anyone else? Because he is there on his own and he uses his celebrity to try to speak for all Americans. It's not likely that we have many representatives hanging out in the mosques over in Iran. If he speaks he will be saying that the war in Iraq is wrong, Bush is a criminal, we are being denied our civil liberties, etc., ALL of which is what he said in his $56,000 full-page ad in the Washington Post (he paid for it).

I don't want Sean Penn speaking for me because what he believes is not what I believe.

Honestly, I wish they'd lock his ass up or take away his passport. Let him live over there if he thinks it's so great and that part of the world is a haven from America, the "Big Bad Country."

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire

So is that all he is? A woman beater?

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
He observed them and wrote down personal notes about his experience.

The hatred coming out of some of you has gone too far. You'll never build bridges with other cultures or help them modernise their nations if all you do is spew hatred and lies. You've become 'crusaders' no different to those in the middle-east who scream hate.
Oh but they will, as long as they are americanized...

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:48 PM

By the way, my conscience (per your sig) is as healthy as it has ever been.

And I still think Sean Penn is a bloviator who should stop pretending to be the Left's answer to Condoleeza Rice.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:52 PM

Oh, and another thing? Just like Hanoi Jane who is responsible for inciting more hatred, Sean Penn is also responsible for the deaths of Americans and other innocent people over there. You talk about inciting people...you don't think he's doing that? You don't think he's over there saying, "The war in Iraq is wrong and we want you to know that not all Americans think we should be here and we are on YOUR side." If you aren't WITH us then you are AGAINST us and his "purpose" there is dubious and doubtful and if he causes more people to hate America by his rantings and comments then he is responsible for more American deaths. It's as simple as that.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 05:53 PM

By the way, my conscience (per your sig) is as healthy as it has ever been.

And I still think Sean Penn is a bloviator who should stop pretending to be the Left's answer to Condoleeza Rice.
Your conscience isn't healthy if you lie and spew hate. A healthy conscience is the conscience of the world, the type of conscience someone has when they are able to sit with students of a difficult nation and listen to all their diverse thoughts. Rice won't and can't do that. She's an oil woman, always has been. Politicians can't do it so it is left to other high profile people to take on that duty. If you don't like Penn, fine. At the very least give your opinion as to who you would like to see do such a thing.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 05:54 PM

You don't think he's over there saying, "The war in Iraq is wrong and we want you to know that not all Americans think we should be here and we are on YOUR side."
Show a quote of him doing that. Penn doesn't side with any hardliners whether American or Iranian. Neither should anyone who claims to have a healthy conscience.

Oh, and another thing?
That's not supposed to end in a question mark unless you have doubts about what you're saying.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 05:55 PM

Your conscience isn't healthy if you lie and spew hate.
Been to a conscience doctor lately?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:56 PM

Oh, your comment "Rice is an oil woman" is the truth? How do you KNOW that? Are you her accountant? Father? Brother? ANYTHING to Condi Rice? The answer is no. You are just the same as me but on the other side of the argument: You think one thing and I think another. Don't make comments about how I spew hate when you make comments about Rice and other politicians. You don't know crap about Rice now do you? BE HONEST - after all, that's what your sig suggests.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 05:56 PM

Been to a conscience doctor lately?
Yes, his name is Jesus.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 05:57 PM

Oh, your comment "Rice is an oil woman" is the truth?
Look at her portfolio if you're so well informed.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:57 PM

Show a QUOTE?

Fine. Washington Post.

October 18, 2002

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Actor Sean Penn on Friday weighed in on the international debate over a possible war with Iraq, paying for a $56,000 advertisement in the Washington Post accusing President Bush of stifling debate and threatening civil iberties.

In an open letter to Bush taking up most of a page in the main section of the daily newspaper, the Oscar-nominated star of "I Am Sam" and "Dead Man Walking," urged the president to stop a cycle where "bombing is answered by bombing, mutilation by mutilation, killing by killing."

"I beg you, help save America before yours is a legacy of shame and horror," Penn wrote, echoing voices of caution from around the world that have called for a measured response to allegations Iraq is developing weapons of mass destruction.

The letter was signed "Sincerely, Sean Penn, San Francisco, California." A spokesman for the Washington Post confirmed that it was placed by the Hollywood celebrity who has starred in more than 40 movies.

Quoting Bush's declaration that the world was either "with us or against us" in the war on terrrism launched after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Penn, 42, said Bush was marginalizing critics, manipulating the media and promoting fear.

Those actions and "your administration's deconstruction of civil liberties all contradict the very core of the patriotism you claim," wrote Penn, who is married to actress Robin Wright Penn, and was formerly married to pop star Madonna.

"Sacrificing American soldiers or innocent civilians in an unprecedented preemptive attack on a separate sovereign nation may well prove itself a most temporary medicine," he said.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:59 PM

Why don't YOU show us her "portfolio" since you OBVIOUSLY are privy to Condi's financial history.

Gee, we're in special company: We've got RonnieOfTheRose here at MacNN - and he has his own personal AUTHENTIC copy of Condi's portfolio!

Seriously, I have Exxon Mobil stock...guess that makes me "an oil woman" also, right?

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 06:00 PM

Show a QUOTE?
Wasn't this about Penn in Iran? What's this article over two years old about, unless you meant this quote

"I beg you, help save America before yours is a legacy of shame and horror
Sounds quite concerned for his own nation.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 06:01 PM

Sounds quite concerned for his own nation.
Sounds like the words could have been spoken by Bin Laden.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 06:02 PM

Why don't YOU show us her "portfolio" since you OBVIOUSLY are privy to Condi's financial history.

Nice try. Rice was a high profile manager at Chevron, just to name one of her links to big oil.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 06:02 PM

He's in Iran right now.

You asked me to show you the comments he's made in the past. I did.

Who knows what drivel he'll spew when he returns. After all, he's on a one-man-mission to Iran, remember? He can make up - er, say - whatever he wants. He has no real representatives with him. Heck, does he even speak the language? Who is his interpreter? Is he staying at the Ayatollah's joint with his 70 virgins and all?

OF COURSE it will be, "Iran is a peaceable nation."

He'll probably be glowing when he returns from being in a mosque that is built over a nuclear processing plant.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 06:03 PM

You asked me to show you the comments he's made in the past.
Lie. No conscience. A lie goes against everything decent we're supposed to be supporting. You said he's over in Iran saying so and so. He isn't.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 06:05 PM

Are you implying Iranians/Muslims beat their women?

(any more than other nations do)

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 06:06 PM

He'll probably be glowing when he returns from being in a mosque that is built over a nuclear processing plant.
You can probably bet that's where they're building their "secret" underground facilities.

Besides mosques, other obvious places would be schools, hospitals and in the middle of densely populated areas. This of course won't stop us (the USA) from doing what we've gotta do, when/if the time comes, if the wackjob mullahs and ayatollahs get out of hand.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 06:06 PM

Who cares, anyway, if Condi Rice IS "an oil woman." What DOES that mean? That she's sleeping with Bush? Who the heck cares? What does that have to do with Sean Penn(is) anyway?

NOTHING.

He is a self-arbitrating individual that thinks he can use his celebrity to persuade politics, plain and simple.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 06:07 PM

He is a self-arbitrating individual that thinks he can use his celebrity to persuade politics, plain and simple.
He can and he should. Like I said, if you can recommend other well known public faces then go ahead. The more people who represent the progressive youth in those countries the better.

osxisfun
Jun 10, 2005, 06:09 PM

That Sean Penn better watch it. Next thing he will be doing is selling arms for hostages and rerouting the monies back to central american "freedom" fighters...

Now we would not want that to happen.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 06:15 PM

Come now, you shouldn't be so hard on poor George W.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 06:56 PM

Show a QUOTE?

Fine. Washington Post.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 06:57 PM

He biggest claim to fame is the saying "Dude lets party" or some such lameness back in the 80s.

Oh, and checkered vans.

And being a woman beater.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 07:00 PM

Remember when Sean Penn beat up photographers? Remember when he tied Madonna to a chair and left her there? Supposedly he hit her, also. Who knows. All I know is that Sean Penn is a sorry excuse for an ambassador from the U.S. to Iran.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 07:01 PM

Zimphire: I'm honored.

And, BTW, ditto post on the wife-beater.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 10, 2005, 07:13 PM

Remember when Sean Penn beat up photographers? Remember when he tied Madonna to a chair and left her there?
Now those are great things to do

Judging people by their immature behavior in the past, that they themselves has denounced, is very...well, let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. Obviously you think of yourself as purer than pure, a true ambassador for humanity, crusader of virtue...or is that vitriol?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 07:14 PM

In the past? It hasn't been that long ago that Penn punched someone for something petty.

He's a violent guy.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 07:22 PM

Yes, he is violent. He may not be beating up Americans on the street any longer...he just wants other countries to do it for him now.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 07:28 PM

Here he is. What a creep.

Sock Puppet Theater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2005, 09:43 PM

He went there as a reporter. Everything else is conjecture by you.

You're obviously predisposed against him, so this isn't a surprise. Just keep that in mind next time you jump on someone's case for drawing their own conclusions about a conservative that you support.

And Zimphire, all she provided was a link to Penn showing how he doesn't support Bush or the war in Iraq (in a rather mild manner I thought). Your smackdown threshold must be low nowadays.
Where have my hands been?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 09:56 PM

My question is this: Who appointed Sean Penn our representative to Iran? Seriously? What gives that guy the right to think - for a second - that he can represent me or my children or anyone else? Because he is there on his own and he uses his celebrity to try to speak for all Americans. It's not likely that we have many representatives hanging out in the mosques over in Iran. If he speaks he will be saying that the war in Iraq is wrong, Bush is a criminal, we are being denied our civil liberties, etc., ALL of which is what he said in his $56,000 full-page ad in the Washington Post (he paid for it).

I don't want Sean Penn speaking for me because what he believes is not what I believe.

Honestly, I wish they'd lock his ass up or take away his passport. Let him live over there if he thinks it's so great and that part of the world is a haven from America, the "Big Bad Country."

Isn't that the beauty of this country though, Cody?

Sean Penn CAN speak his mind on what he believes AND so can you. So, he is in no way speaking for you.
Now, if you feel as strongly about your opinions as he does then do something to get them out there in the
public eye: Hold an anti-Iran, anti-ME, anti-Muslim, anti-whatever march. No one is stopping you.
Get out there and speak your mind because you can!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 10:06 PM

He is anti-common sense.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 10:09 PM

Zimphire:

Could you answer the question I asked you above. Or are you ignoring it on purpose?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Now, if you feel as strongly about your opinions as he does then do something to get them out there in the
public eye: Hold an anti-Iran, anti-ME, anti-Muslim, anti-whatever march. No one is stopping you.
Get out there and speak your mind because you can!
Or even book yourself a flight to Iran and express yourself.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 10:26 PM

Wouldn't that be nice if I could? Problem is, I'd have to be covered up in a black bag like the rest of their women.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 10:29 PM

Wouldn't that be nice if I could? Problem is, I'd have to be covered up in a black bag like the rest of their women.
BS. You could dress just like you want. But if you would want to show respect(heh, not likely) you'd dress in a modest way.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 10:58 PM

Sounds like a plan. Meanwhile, up the lithium level. Seriously.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
Are you implying Iranians/Muslims beat their women?
Muslims Extremists do indeed beat their women. They treat them like dogs.

In some places, they even cut the clitoris off.
(any more than other nations do)
Hard to tell.

I don't know anyone in the US that has a practice of mutilating the vagina.

But ok.

And no, I wasn't dodging this.

I honestly didn't see it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2005, 11:19 PM

Muslims Extremists do indeed beat their women. They treat them like dogs.

In some places, they even cut the clitoris off.
Honest question. I thought that was prevalent in African countries, and not generally associated with Islam?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 11:29 PM

Guess their 70 virgins aren't having much fun, then.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Honest question. I thought that was prevalent in African countries, and not generally associated with Islam?
http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles...cle.asp?ID=241

Forum Links
Forum Rules