Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Emigrating from UK with iMac ?

Emigrating from UK with iMac ?
MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2009, 10:27 PM

Apart from the difference in power supply voltage & frequency, are there any other considerations in using my UK spec iMac abroad ?

I think my iMac is 100V - 240V 50-60 Hz ?

Potentially, USA, New Zealand or Hong Kong.

(for one, do the different TV standards affect use of my iMac ?)

Your real life experiences appreciated.

Similar question for a (not as yet owned) Macbook etc.

Or should I just buy new one in country after moving ?

Quoted Tech Spec:
Electrical and environmental requirements

* Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
* Line voltage: 100-240V AC
* Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
* Maximum continuous power: 180W (17- and 20-inch models); 220W (24-inch model)
* Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
* Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
* Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

Why the maximum altitude ?
"Specifically, the altitude concern is for the operation of the hard drive. Above a certain altitude, the low air pressure will allow the drive’s heads to scrape against the platters when in use, resulting in physical damage and data loss."
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jan 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 04:35 PM

Should be perfectly fine.

The MacBook and iMac will switch to the the voltage for the country you are in.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2009, 05:36 PM

And since all the airliners (except for those dropping oxygen masks from the overhead compartments automatically) have pressurized cargo bays, you do not have to worry about the transport either. Just label it with appropriate "handle with care" stickers.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 05:39 PM

The heads will be parked while you're flying (assuming you shut down the computer properly), so you'll be fine.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 06:40 PM

All Mac hardware since 2005 or so (and most before), all iPod hardware, and all recent Apple networking and entertainment products are universal, and vary worldwide only in the included keyboards and power cords. They will work everywhere.

Airplanes are pressurized so you don't pass out, so there's enough air for your drives to work, too. If you can breathe halfway comfortably, your hard drive is fine and can be operated.

Now, the question of whether it's worth bringing a machine is quite another. Since Apple products cost a lot more in the UK than in USA, you may actually save money by selling yours in the UK and re-buying new in USA, compared to the cost of shipping a computer, which is not cheap. The overall balance may be different for each country, so run some numbers and see what saves the most money.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2009, 07:10 PM

One (possibly minor) thing to consider if you buy abroad* - you will likely end up with a non-UK keyboard. Personally, I hate using the US/International version as I always mistype returns because of its poor design for that key alone. After developing muscle memory over several years for certain key placements, it is really hard to use a non-UK (or non-Apple for that matter) keyboard. This would be especially true of a laptop purchase.

* It might not actually be cheaper, especially in HK at the moment - check exchange rates and any taxes you might have to pay before you decide to do so. Other country's stores don't always include them in the sticker price.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2009, 07:13 PM

You can order a UK keyboard in the USA just as well.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

MacNNUK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
One (possibly minor) thing to consider if you buy abroad* - you will likely end up with a non-UK keyboard. Personally, I hate using the US/International version as I always mistype returns because of its poor design for that key alone. After developing muscle memory over several years for certain key placements, it is really hard to use a non-UK (or non-Apple for that matter) keyboard. This would be especially true of a laptop purchase.
That's actually a very good point I hadn't considered.

Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
You can order a UK keyboard in the USA just as well.
I already have three extra white UK keyboards (don't ask) so I'd definitely take those with me.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 08:24 PM

Hong Kong uses UK plugs, so if you move here you won't even need to change the plug.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Hong Kong uses UK plugs, so if you move here you won't even need to change the plug.
Which is a great lead in to my point: if you come to the States or to New Zealand, you'll need a different power cord. I would NOT consider a "travel adapter" for anything like regular use.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 02:10 AM

Don't forget the vaccination.

Forum Links
Forum Rules