Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 -> TV. What should I use?

G4 -> TV. What should I use?
hwojtek
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2009, 01:02 PM

Hi there.
It's not a matter of having a home cinema. G4 is useless for this task. But I do need to output video from a G4 to a TV set (CRT), while keeping the current VGA connection to the monitor.

The G4 has an AGP NVidia FX5200 reflashed for Mac compatibility. All PCI slots are free.
I thought I should use a PCI video card with DVI or ADC and hook up and DVI to Composite Video (or ADC to Composite?) adapter from a Powerbook.

Now the question is - if it has been tried before and what is the best PCI graphic adapter that would allow me to do it?

What I do not want to do is:
- getting a new machine,
- swapping the current AGP card for another one with multiple outputs
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMiniā„¢ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2009, 05:25 PM

Any Radeon with an S-video output will work. Either directly S -> TV, or with the usual ATi S -> composite adapter, which gives you an RCA line-out jack. Try picking up a Radeon 7000 PCI Mac edition. If you get an ATi card used, the S -> composite adapter may be missing. You'd have to hunt it up separately, on newegg perhaps.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2009, 09:58 AM

I use my Sawtooth G4 Mac with a Radeon 8500 and s-video out on my old CRT TV with iTheater).

Forum Links
Forum Rules