Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.8 delay?

10.5.8 delay?
infowarrior
Forum Regular
May 1, 2009, 10:08 AM

Is it just me or is Cupertino taking FOREVER to release the next 10.5 update?

You'd have thought that given some of the problems reported (ie, that effing zombie sync process spawned by sending each new message in Mail) that requires you to restart the app quite frequently to kill the processes would have been fixed fairly quickly either by a hotfix or a full update.

Or am I just being overly grumpy?

hwojtek
Forum Regular
May 1, 2009, 10:20 AM

Yes, you are.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Cold Warrior
May 1, 2009, 10:26 AM

It could seem that way when 10.5.7 isn't even out yet.

infowarrior  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2009, 10:29 AM

yeah yeah you know what I mean

Cold Warrior
May 1, 2009, 10:41 AM

AppleInsider had a recent blurb about 10.5.7 at the link below. They state that Apple is slowing the approach to the point update in order to improve quality.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._air_deal.html

zunipus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2009, 01:37 PM

My guess is that Apple want 10.5.7 to be a substantial fix for the remaining (numerous) problems with 10.5 Leopard.

Why? We're going to see 10.6 Snow Leopard at WWDC in June. It will be looked upon more fondly if 10.5 Leopard appears to be finished and actually work properly. You don't release a new version of an OS while the previous version is still a POS.

Well, not unless you're Microsoft: 7ista.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by zunipus View Post
Why? We're going to see 10.6 Snow Leopard at WWDC in June.
I'm sure we'll see SL at WWDC in some form, I don't think it will be ready for sale at that time however.

It will be looked upon more fondly if 10.5 Leopard appears to be finished and actually work properly. You don't release a new version of an OS while the previous version is still a POS.
That makes no sense at all, if anything an upgrade is more readily received if the older version is buggy. Just look at how well received 10.1 was because 10.0 was so slow and buggy, or using your example windows 7. Because Vista is a POS, people are eager to get windows 7.

Well, not unless you're Microsoft: 7ista.
Have you used Win7, by far a much better, and quicker OS then vista is. MS finally fixed things enough and they have a solid OS to replace the aging but still capable windows xp
~Mike

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Have you used Win7, by far a much better, and quicker OS then vista is. MS finally fixed things enough and they have a solid OS to replace the aging but still capable windows xp
It probably helped that Microsoft got rid of most of the legacy NT and Win32 code. Of course, now you run it in a virtual machine ala Classic.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2009, 03:22 AM

10.5.7 is imminent.

The MP 4870 upgrades have already been sent out to first buyers. Now Apple has to call the receivers one by one to tell people they can't use the card yet because they need the 10.5.7 upgrade first. They are assuring people it's just a matter of a few days.

My guess is at the latest we'll have it by Friday.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2009, 04:00 PM

10.5.7 will be out tomorrow, or in the next 4-5 weeks. The Sims 3 requires it, according to Apple

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV928?mco=NzI2NDc0
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules