Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iMac wireless

iMac wireless
Anoobis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 02:24 PM

Hey folks, sorry for the noob questions but I'm new to the Mac thing.

I'm having a hard time getting my roommate's iMac to stay connected to my wireless network. I have no idea what the hardware is in the iMac except that it is one of the newer Intel Macs and is only about 5 months old.

I've got a Buffalo WHR-G54S using WPA AES encryption and I'm not broadcasting the SSID. MAC filtering is active and the iMac's IP address is on the allowed list. As far as I can tell the iMac supports WPA AES because I can connect initially and everything works great, but once the machine is turned off or sits for a long time it can no longer connect. I then have to re-enter the network name/SSID and password (even if it is saved to the Keychain). Most of the time it connects, but I'll also get an error message saying the network does not support this encryption protocol (I've gotten that message using WPA-TKIP too.)

Do iMacs support WPA AES as well as non-SSID broadcasting???

I just bought the router. Could it be a dud?? The error logs keep showing the iMac gets dropped and then re-acquired or something along those lines. I can post the error messages later tonight if anybody needs it.

I've read the FAQ about the dropping of wireless, deleting keychain, etc..... and it sounds like this could be my issue and I would just need to start broadcasting the SSID again, which I would rather not do if I don't have to. It would also mean that my roommate will have to enter the wireless networking info every time it gets dropped, which would be daily. Sorry but that sounds like a rather unacceptable solution to the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules