Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OSX Install w/ PowerLogix Processor Upgrade

OSX Install w/ PowerLogix Processor Upgrade
Subaru_Nation555
Mar 1, 2007, 01:20 AM

I am lucky enough to be inheriting a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver from my Dad who is getting a MacPro. The only major upgrade to the computer is a PowerLogix dual 1.6GHz processor card. The computer has OS9 and OSX 10.3.9 installed on it now. I am looking to do a complete wipe of the hard drive and install Tiger. However I am trying to cover my bases and make sure this is not going to cause any problems with the upgraded processor. I seem to remember that I had to do a firmware update when I was helping my Dad install the processor (I believe this was done via the programming button on the front of the computer). Is that dependent somehow on the OS or will that not affect it? Any idea if the clean install of 10.4 will cause any problems? Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone is interested I'm planning on putting in a 250GB 7200rpm drive, adding another 1GB of RAM (total of 2GB), upgrading the video card, adding a USB 2 card and a nice 19" widescreen monitor (any suggestions?). Hoping it will be a nice compliment to my 12” PowerBook G4. I’ve always been a big Quicksilver/MDD fan so I’m pretty excited.

-Sacha
2.2GHz MacBook Pro

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2007, 01:42 AM

Only thing you need to worry about when installing OS X on a 7447A G4 upgraded computer is making sure that your version of X is 10.3.5 or later.

And unless your QuickSilver was originally an 800MHz, 933MHz or Dual 1GHz model -or- you're running an ATA PCI card, the most your machine is going to see of that 250GB hard drive is 127GBs~

http://forums.macnn.com/65/power-mac...c-storage-faq/
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules